on 23 November 2011
This is a beautifully written book that gets to the nub of the huge number of issues that arise from the death of our parents, many of which were a complete eye-opener. Nearly every page had some "that's so true" message. Reading it calmed me and made me realise it was OK to feel like I was in the middle of a stormy ocean in an oarless boat. In fact, it was normal. In our society we do not know how to deal with death and when it happens to your parents - in my case, both within 4 months and totally unexpected - it is devastating (in the true sense of the word), scary and I now see, life-changing. This book sets the context clearly and sensitively. The author is a practicing psychologist and gave some example cases from his clinic, alongside his own experience. Each chapter is prefaced by a beautiful, often touching poem.

A psychologist friend lent me the book recently. I've now bought two more, one for me to read again and highlight salient points, and one to lend to friends and (at the risk of sounding morbid(!)) to leave with my teenage children should anything happen to us.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on 11 July 2013
Purchased for a newly orphaned adult - who welcomed the information gladly and felt reassured that there are many others who experience this not uncommon event at some point on life. Well dozen to the author for recognizing something that is not usually really spoken about.
on 1 August 2013
I just wanted to concur with all the other reviewers that this is an excellent book that helped me and actually made me feel better. Worth every penny and then some. Thank You Alexander Levy. I am eternally in your debt.
on 23 January 2016
A beautiful book - I would love to meet the author. He writes with full understanding of what it feels like to be an orphaned adult. He shares his own experiences and emotions as if he were a close friend, and I am so grateful to him for that. He also shares the experiences of his many patients, giving both his personal and professional insights. I wish I'd read it on my iPad and not my kindle, so I could photograph certain passages, so next time I read it, that's what I will do; I am likely to go back to it for reassurance and comfort many more times. If your loved one has recently become an adult orphan, you might consider reading this book, to help you begin to try to understand the changed world they live in... If you still have beloved parents, you should still read it - it will make you think and to see life differently.
on 24 January 2014
I lost both my parents to cancer and although I read this book many years after my parents death, it helped put alot of things into context. Also at the end of the book it also gives some good coping strategies/mechanisms.
on 15 May 2016
I lost my second parent 2 months ago and have struggled to deal with it. This book has been hugely helpful as it helps me understand why i feel the way i do and what i can do about it. I am very grateful for this book.
on 5 November 2014
after the death of my mother, then 10yrs later of my father, I felt very alone. I have no siblings, and no wife or child of my own. however this book was a real find, and a great help. it did not make the problems go away, but it did help make sense of it all. I hope that it helps you too
on 6 September 2015
When I started this book I was devastated but now 7 months later with the help of this book and mindfulness c.course I have made some progress..
on 31 May 2014
I have nearly lost my parents twice and didn't deal with it well. Whilst I know you never can be really ready this book is extremely helpful for the adult that becomes an orphan. Highly recommended.
on 30 September 2015
An excellent book based upon both personal and professional experience.