5.0 out of 5 stars ==Lots of Strengths==
With over 450,000 copies sold, this book is arguably the best book of its kind. What's it useful for? Mainly to help the reader (from the weekend athlete to the athletic trainer to the professional bodybuilder) figure out what exercises work what muscles.

Published on 15 July 2011 by trainermom

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful reference book
As everyone always says about this book it has excellent pictures. Seems a little dated now though and I would say the exercises are quite old school. Still a book worth having for reference.
Published 1 month ago by Captain

5.0 out of 5 stars ==Lots of Strengths==, 15 July 2011
This review is from: Strength Training Anatomy (Sports Anatomy) (Paperback)

It's neatly divided up into sections (arms, shoulders, chest, back, etc.), so all you really have to do is flip to one of these sections and it will have detailed pictures of various exercises and exactly which muscles are involved.

A great reference to keep have around, I give it five stars easy. Readers who lift weights regularly might also be interested Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff to avoid shoulder problems a lot of lifters eventually get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Strength Training Anatomy (Sports Anatomy) (Paperback)
I bought this book as I'm studying to be a personal trainer & found it most helpful with some of the core subjects I'm covering.

I'm also a keen gym goer and found it useful to help with my workouts and mix it up a bit.

For 9.65 it's a no brainer and definitely worth every penny and is a wealth of solid information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Training for oldies, 17 Dec 2012
Mr. G. Bourne - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strength Training Anatomy (Sports Anatomy) (Paperback)
At 65 with various muscle problems this book is invaluable when I go to the gym. I use it to plan all my exercises and know exactly what muscles I will be working so as to avoid any injuries. I would definitely recommend this to anyone using the gym and relevant weights.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT reference book, 13 Oct 2011
Kate "Kate" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strength Training Anatomy (Sports Anatomy) (Paperback)
I am a relatively experienced gym-goer - been training regularly for about 15 years and I consider myself knowledgeable on issues relating with weight-training. I still found this book very useful in giving me a better, more professional, insight into how different muscle groups respond during the execution of different variations of exercises. It even helped me realise that some of the routines that I switch to now and then did not really maximise the effectiveness of my workout as they did not exactly target the fibres I thought they did.

All in all, a MUST for anyone who starts or is thinking to start weights training - it will save you developing an awful lot of bad habits (be it poor posture, poor execution or suboptimal use of your workout time). Also, the book gives very useful instructions on stretching routines - which again is a good idea to follow and get used to them from early on as they WILL save you injuries later on.

For more experienced lifters, well my opinion is that it is still a useful reference book. You will of course probably find out that you know most of the exercises cited in there - but again the focus is not as much on teaching you new routines, but explaining in full detail what happens "inside the box" when you execute these routines. Unless you have physio training, you are unlikely to have seen this information before at this level of detail - I hadn't.

All in all, a good investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST book out there...still!!!, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: Strength Training Anatomy (Sports Anatomy) (Paperback)
I can only recommend this book to everyone who wants to know exactly which muscle groups are worked out with which exercise.

I'm a personal trainer myself and find it extremely useful for my work with the clients. It does not only tell about the anatomy but also about the different body shapes. It's the only book I have found so far which even explains the differences of individual calf shapes, individual bone shapes, leg lengths or shoulder builds of people. It explains precisely why some people can or cannot perform some exercises in a specific way just because of the fact they are differently shaped.

It is the best anatomy book for exercises out there jet...if you want more then just muscle pictures then go for this book. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Strength Training Anatomy (Sports Anatomy) (Paperback)
I learn a lot with this book.. its like your own personal trainer. Shows how to take care of your own body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good book. Fantastic pictures. No nonsense, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Strength Training Anatomy (Sports Anatomy) (Paperback)
I have this book and it's sequel. The second book is more of a reader and I'm enjoying it more.

This book is more of a reference. I use it every time I work out to refresh my memory of proper form. It's crazy how many little things you forget. The book also has loads of information to help you target specific muscles and weak points.

If you're considering buying this, you definitely should.

4.0 out of 5 stars Birthday present, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Strength Training Anatomy (Sports Anatomy) (Paperback)
Bought this as a birthday present for my boyfriend who has recently gotten into going to the gym, as I thought it would be a good information source. Well illustrated book with lots of information and exercises.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful reference book, 11 Mar 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Childish, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Strength Training Anatomy (Sports Anatomy) (Paperback)
Written very simplistically, offers next to no guidance or help for anyone but an absolute beginner.. and for a beginner this would be misleading. Doesn't show the full effect on the body of exercises, has a limited range of exercises ( which ignores things like cleans yet still includes needless lists of curl variations) and offers no insight into programming.

ARRAY(0xa6e1960c)

Strength Training Anatomy (Sports Anatomy)
Strength Training Anatomy (Sports Anatomy) by Frederic Delavier (Paperback - 6 April 2010)
10.34