5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, you'll learn something.
Published on 22 Jan. 2008 by Mr. L. J. Counter

2.0 out of 5 stars Dialing the wrong number
There are countless thousands of people with mountain bikes looking for a book to help them ride trails more skilfully. Sadly, this is not it.

At the outset the authors declare they want to write a step-by-step guide to mountain biking. They not only fail to do that, they do so in language which excludes newcomers while making asides which are only likely to...
Published on 5 May 2008 by James Gimpeau

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, you'll learn something., 22 Jan. 2008
Mr. L. J. Counter (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I've only been riding mountain bikes since this spring and a mate got me this for Christmas. I enjoy doing some off road stuff but most of what the book shows is well beyond what I'm likely to get into so I initially read it without expecting to get much out of it. Boy did I get a surprise. Within a week I'd managed to incorporate much of what is in the early chapters into my riding and I'm finding I've got a lot more confidence and am attacking the trail far more than I did before. As far as the later chapters go (jumping, dropping and such like) maybe one day it'll be something I want to look at but it's definitely fun to read about in the meantime.

As for the language, some of it is a bit Southern Californian but I managed to work my way round it. I'm still laughing about him suggesting that I might want to learn to "pump the backside".

5.0 out of 5 stars Something to learn for everyone, 24 Oct. 2005
I purchased this book recently as I felt my MTB skills were somewhat lacking, particularly with regards to switchbacks, drop-offs and jumps. This book is well laid out, with fantastic photography, detailed instructions that are for once easy to follow in conjunction with the photographs. The book is also written with a huge element of humour, and I found myself laughing aloud at the comments and language. I have already gained some speed and control since reading this book, which in my humble opinion is an excellent addition to any mountain biker's library, whether you call yourself a cross country rider, a downhiller, weekend warrior or stunt king!

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful skills book, 12 Oct. 2009
S. Gale "Stephen Gale" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
First off, this has been a useful book and my mountain biking skills have definitely improved as a consequence of reading it. The first few chapters contained some great tips that I have already put to good use. The language used is unique and makes the reading easier and more enjoyable. I think it is all part of being a "biking dude" like Brian!

Don't be put off by the date of the book - the content is still very appropriate to today's riding and I was surprised to see that the bikes in the photos don't look dated.

The author clearly knows what he is talking about and his pedigree speaks for itself. But the book does concentrate on the downhill side of mountain biking and some of the later chapters were of less interest to me (the ones that involved jumping and turns on dirt tracks!). However, I am sure there are readers out there for whom this information is very relevant.

I was looking for a book that would cover the range of mountain biking skills and, for me, there are some elements missing from this book. For example, there is no information on route planning or navigation - essential skills for mountain bikers (although less relevant if you are a downhill racer). I was looking for the Mountain Biking equivalent to Libby Peter's book on rock climbing Rock Climbing: Essential Skills & Techniques - that contains the full range of skills and techniques for the sport.

All in all, this was a useful book and my skill level has improved as a consequence. This should not be underestimated and all credit to the authors for this. Thank you. However, it is not the ultimate mountain biking skills book and my search will continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 July 2007
Ptretty much echo the comments of Phil and Gravity, this book is brilliant, I returned to biking after 12 years so not a beginner but a lot of it was wierd, that said I think that a novice could use this book very well, the vernacular elements no a major problem, suffice it to say doing a "dead sailor" sounds bad!! ( for the record I dont know what that is, but I hardly think that matters.
What does matter though is that the book tells the reader in good detail, stage by stage how to achieve the various manoueveres and skills..... and more its done with great humour and a sense of fun that is central to riding for me at least. I too laughed out loud.
Im not one for hero worship but Lopez is great (phoo you Lopez!) he conveys the spirit, the joy and necessary detail perfectly, I use it all the time and thouroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guidance for all styles of riding, 29 Feb. 2008
Baby Bro (Truro, Cornwall, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
If you only ever buy one mountain bike tuition book make sure that this is it. Ive only been riding just over a year and ive found every part of this book really useful. It covers loads of subjects, including everything from basic riding techniques to more complicated trials, jumping and racing topics. Its all very well laid out with lots of pictures and despite the opinion of some that it may be hard for beginners to understand due to jargon terms, I still class myself as a novice and had no problem understanding it. Besides, if there are any terms you are unsure of, there is always that wonderful invention, the internet, which is always willing and able to explain things to you....... ENJOY YOUR RIDING!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have if you ride a bike, 18 Jun. 2009
K. Jackson (Herts. UK) - See all my reviews
This is the funniest book I've read in ages, learn while you laugh. If you want to progress your mtb skills, this is a must have for the book shelf. Insider tips on how to do all those stunts that look impossible, as well as the simple things like cornering and braking, clearly broken down stepwise. The only thing it doesn't do is ride the bike for you ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Mountain Bike Reference Book, 17 Jan. 2007
This book is the best book I have ever bought on mountain bike technique.

Whilst it isnt really a beginners guide it has a massive wealth of information for intermediates onwards.

I started riding longer ago than I would like to menion but this guide has the lot.

Whilst the authors are top pro's they still get the message across in simple language.

This is a very sincere book too. I especially like the section on getting back after a crash. They are very good on pschology of the sport.

If you are a keen mountain biker whether XC, DH, North Shore, Trail, Dirt Jumper, its worth buying. You wont be dissapointed and you will realise how and why and where to use all those technical riding tips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good MTB technique biased towards downhill, 25 Mar. 2009
This is a very worthwhile book on MTB technique/skills. I would say it is quite biased towards the downhill/jumping/slalom side of things, which isn't surprising considering Brian Lopes' background.

So you get lots of good information on cornering fast, jumping, drop-offs and general stuff involving unweighting the front wheel (wheelies, bunnyhops and other BMXy stuff). What you don't get is info on riding mud, roots, tricky uphill singletrack with mixed obstacles etc, or long distance trail riding, or fitness training.

The info you get is very good IMO. I certainly started to understand how the writers integrate dynamic loading and unloading with almost all their techniques to jump, corner harder, gain speed, increase traction and more. I'd not thought of it like this before and it's spot on.

The language is a bit "gnarly dude" hip but even an old codger like me understands what they are getting at.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better value than Ti bolts!, 2 Jun. 2005
P. Reed - See all my reviews
I have just recieved a (signed!) copy of this book on my recent EPIC ride trip to Whistler, BC. To say I am stoked is the least of it and now have serious jetlag after reading this page turner cover to cover on the Vancouver-Manchester flight!
The buzz was partly as Brian is riding many of the trails that we hit up in BC but also because of the excellent writing style that not only emphasises the point and makes the tip super clear, but the humour that had me chuckling all the way through. Perhaps I just like cheese!
If words aren't your thing, the photo sequences are awesome and bring the coaching point to life.
If you ride, coach, race or simply love bikes, this book is an essential for the coffee table. Dip into a different chapter each week and I am sure your rides will take on a fresh dimension!

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels to be straight from American TV, 12 Sept. 2012
R. Daykin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastering Mountain Bike Skills (Paperback)
I've been mountain biking for many years so was looking for some pointers to overcome bad habits and fears that are hindering trail centre type riding. This book at first made me feel like a bewildered old man who's turned up at a skate park full of Calafornian youth who just happen to all want to be really helpful. But once you get over the feeling that there's a couple of TV presenters constantly giving point of view commentry from a couch, then I found it to be a well written book by entusiastic authours covering all you need to know (and much more) from bike selection and set up to airbourne antics with easy to follow pictures.
Wish thses books had been around quarter of a century ago when I first started hurting down the hills.
Go dial in your speed and pump that terrain!

Mastering Mountain Bike Skills
Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Lee McCormack (Paperback - 12 April 2010)