5.0 out of 5 stars A chance to enjoy
Published on 1 May 2009 by Mrs. J. A. O'doherty

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for racing snakes!
Some good technical information but not much I'd take away for my marathoning! A lot seemed to be geared towards the faster end of the racing circuit which is fine but I'm not. Anyway a good read for the more technical minded racing snakes!
Published 13 months ago by jwhezzy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A chance to enjoy, 1 May 2009
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
After completing my first marathon after a 15 year lay off I bought "Advanced marathoning" to glean more in depth info in the why's and wherefore's of marathon running to (hopefully) improve my performance. This book is ideal. It is easy to read, the schedules are explained well and all the information from stretches to nutrition to interesting info on elite runners is at your fingertips. I highly recommend this book to those who want to improve , not just their times, but the enjoyment of marathon running.

4.0 out of 5 stars Devil is in the detail, 3 Feb 2012
spiderboy (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
This book is an excellent book for training for a sub 3 marathon. Perhaps it is too technical for the beginner but even so, there is some good science in here that is readable to all and anyone should pick it up if their ambition is to improve their time. Daniels running formula has been cited a few times in other reviews. I have both and I can see how Daniels has greatly influenced this book -in fact Daniels Daniels' Running Formula: Proven programs: 800 m to the marathon is acknowledged as being influential. I prefer though the training schedules in Advanced Marathoning as they are immediately readable, unlike Daniels where you have to know about E and T paces for example. In an ideal world you will buy both books as they are compatible and both will lead you on the road to improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, detailed book on the running discipline, 3 Nov 2010
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
The book reminds me of some excellent academic textbooks which put in good, appropriate case studies while helping you build up knowledge from one chapter to the rest.

It goes into strong detail while remaining readable throughout. There are some very good and varied schedules.

Quite frankly, the best book on long distance running out there

I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the training, 1 Jun 2010
Mr. Nicholas James Ryan "Highbrow Nick" (Budapest Hungary) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
I just bought this book as I train for my second marathon. In spite of the title, this book is also useful for amateurs like me. The book explains clearly the science behind all the various types of training- meaning that you can understand why you are doing them. It also provides information on nutrition, other exercises that you can do, advice for strategy on the day and post marathon training. It explains how sometimes too much training is worse than too little. I particularly like the information that the book gives about recommended heart rate intensities for the various types of run and am already putting this into practice.
I now realise the mistakes I made when training for my first marathon- in particular, I could have pushed myself a little harder during training, and thought more carefully about nutrition. Although my training for the second marathon is only just starting, I already feel stronger after three weeks of using the principles in this book. If you are planning to do a marathon, I thoroughly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars must read/buy book, 9 Oct 2009
Darren Cummins (ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
this book nails it and the plans are spot on for the next big step forward,
worth double the money,thank you for this book,one of very few books i would recommend without any worries,

5.0 out of 5 stars If you run maras you need this book!, 23 April 2009
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
If you have run a marathon or two and want to improve your efforts then this is the book to help you.

P&D are held in the highest respect amongst runners. The reason for that is that the book is based on good quality science and research added to the immense experience of the authors.

This means the book will lead you on to that PB that you want. It contains some great schedules too so you don't have to think too hard. :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars It really works, honest., 1 Dec 2010
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
As a former nearly 40 rugby player I got into distance running as a way to keep fit. I did my first Marathon in Dublin with only a half marathon behind me in 3:11, this book has genuinely helped me to get to 3:01 in less than two years. It illustrates a system to be taken seriously. I would say that most of marathon running is in the mind, but then there is the training. This book helps with the latter not the former. Then there is the weather and the rest of life a third factor! Without a doubt the only book that I continually turn too.

5.0 out of 5 stars a very good book with detailed train programs, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
A very detailed and well explained book for an advanced marathon runner.
a very good book with detailed train programs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Advice, 27 May 2014
I wanted a book that went a little further than the regular how to run a marathon and one with sensible aims and goals. This is it. A great read and useful information.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every marathon runner, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
Simply a must have book.A great reference book for any novice/expert marathon runner Its my 'bible' that I refer to almost daily.

BUY IT!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Advanced Marathoning
Advanced Marathoning by Scott Douglas (Paperback - 1 Feb 2009)
9.80