4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference for students and teachers
This new book is one of very few available on the specific subject of yoga and anatomy.

Published on 20 April 2008 by Elle

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the Kindle version
Published on 20 Jan 2011 by timg

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference for students and teachers, 20 April 2008
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy (Paperback)

The nice thing about this book is its accessibility - it has pictures of a range of poses in the style shown on the book cover, illustrating the muscular-skeletal system in the asana and highlighting the muscles being utilised (some postures shown from several angles). In some illustrations, the internal organs are also shown.

This helps you to relate anatomical and physiological knowledge to the actual asanas of yoga. The book also includes notes on breathing and the action of the joints in each posture.

Not as in-depth as the Coulter book, but at a good 400 pages shorter, that is to be expected. What this book offers instead is a more visual, illustrated approach and a great reference tool for serious students and teachers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, 6 Jun 2008
Crystal (West Sussex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book for those studying yoga. It has plenty of detail which would come in handy during study.If you need help on joint movements and muscles being used during postures the this is the book you need to buy- very clear, interesting and brilliantly illustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga Anatomy, 9 Oct 2008
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy (Paperback)
I guess I'm one of those people that likes to understand the how and why of everything I do. Therefore, whenever I workout, I find myself wondering about the purpose of each particular exercise. Am I actually working, strengthen, or stretching my muscles in a way that is beneficial to my body or am I just wasting my time? Am I doing the exercises correctly or am I setting myself up for an injury? Perhaps that's why I love the Anatomy series from Human Kinetics. They have a number of different books that take a deeper look at Stretch Training, Stretching, and Yoga exercises.

Yoga Anatomy has full coloured pictures of the body for a wide variety of movements: breathing, standing poses, sitting poses, kneeling poses, supine poses, prone poses, and arm support poses. These pictures show which muscles are in use during a particular motion. Extra information is then included about which joints are involved and which muscles are lengthening and working during the process. Each entry also notes proper breathing as well as information on any challenges associated with the pose.

In this way, there is no guess work involved. I know exactly what each posture is meant to do, which muscles I'll be working, and how to prevent injuries. I can then take full responsibility for my health and fitness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impulse buy but glad I bought it, 14 Oct 2009
Olive Murphy (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy (Paperback)
I like yoga, but am not particularly good at it. I thought that by understanding which muscles were being used I would get more benefit and could concentrate on my weaker poses etc. This book definitely does the trick as the illustrations are excellent. You do need a companion book on how to do the poses but the ones covered in this anatomy book are the stanard ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga Anatomy, 19 Mar 2010
F. Lam-clark "Florentina" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy (Paperback)
I love this book! The illustrations are simple, immediately accessible. The explanations of each posture very easy to understand as it is well laid out. I highly recommend this book for all dedicated Yogis and Yoginis!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent detail, 1 Mar 2010
Helen Gatenby - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy (Paperback)
I have just had exams in yoga anatomy and I found this book was a greatly detailed aid to have. There are plenty of lists of what muscles are working and what are lengthening making it perfect for the exam. But there is also some very useful information on breathing and the diagrams are class. Really well laid out format, easy to follow. Greatly enhances your knowledge of the interior muscular and skeletal elements of your poses! Well worth a look.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the Kindle version, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy (Kindle Edition)
The book is very good, the text is informative but very readable. My problem is with the Kindle version, to be honest it's rubbish. The pictures on the kindle are of course in black and white but the text refers to this muscle or that muscle in blue or red so you cannot see what the author is trying to say. Also the text on the images is tiny, a real struggle to read. These issues completely ruined the ebook version. Avoid it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly outstanding - but good knowledge of anatomy required, 3 May 2010
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy (Paperback)
This book is absolutely perfect for what I wanted. It describes for a selection of the most common yoga postures:

a) the classification of the posture and difficulty grade
b) key structures of the body impacted
c) joint actions
d) muscles worked/strengthened
e) muscles lenghtened/stretched
f) breathing action required
g) obstacles often encountered, including risks
h) other notes and commentary

For my purposes the above ticked all the boxes. Diagrams are clear and highlight the relevant muscles. I found the author's comments on obstacles (problems people often encounter in a posture) excellent. In addition his discussion on where things can go wrong and causes of injuries was an eye-opener for me. It gives you the information to begin to understand why from a mechanical perspective problems arise, and the simple and effective way of avoiding these (it suddenly makes sense). The purchase price was worth it to me for this alone.

Limitations which I think reviewers should be aware of:

1. The book's title says it all, that this is about anatomy. It's worth pointing out that anatomy is a complex subject and has a specific vocabulary all of its own. As a layman I am finding is taking a while to become familiar with and so unless you are already very familiar with this you will take time to get into this book. To enjoy it fully you'll need to become conversant with terms such as nutation, contralateral, concentrically, abduction, dorsiflexion etc. and also be quite familiar with the location, origin, insertion and shape of all the muscles of the body (there are many!).

2. One of the strengths of the book is that it shows only the primary muscles targetted by a pose. However it's worth noting that there is no diagram in the book of all the muscles/bones of the body. Accordingly you may want to have another reference book to try and see how they look in aggregate, otherwise this could leave you wondering. This is particularly true for minor muscles not drawn in the diagrams in the book but which are discussed in the text relating to a pose.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly edited, 31 Jan 2011
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy (Paperback)
It is quite annoying the way that muscles labelled on a given diagram of an asana are not always mentioned in the text about the asana, and also vice versa: muscles mentioned in the text are not always labelled on the diagram.
Also, there are inconsistencies in the sections for each asana. In one of the introductory chapters, we are told that each asana has a section called Key Structures. No, it doesn't! Only some have this section.
An index including muscles and anatomical and yoga terms would have been a great help.
Lovely diagrams, very well-written and insightful chapters about breathing, spine, etc.
Perhaps there were space constraints, but surely other aspects of anatomy such as the digestive organs, the circulatory system, and the nervous system are quite important in yoga. These are barely touched on in a few chapters and diagrams.
Hopefully they will do a new edition with improvements and extra information.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of anatomical terms, need help translating, 10 Dec 2010
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy (Paperback)
I had a bit of a giggle when I first opened and started scanning the pages of this book. Taking a randomly selected sentence...

Page 145 Support Shoulder Stand...The infraspinatus and teres minor externally rotate the head of the humerus; the subscapularis and coracobrachialis work eccentrically to protect the front of the joint from the protraction...

Help! Unfortunately not all terms are explained or have a reference within the book, or at least not that I was able to easily find, so I've been using google to help translate some of them. It makes for slow reading. I guess it is what it is, but as a layman a glossary of terms would have been very useful. Or if it had been dumbed down a little e.g. using layman terms, I think I would have gotten more from it.

On the plus side amongst all the technical jargon I've been able to pick up some very handy tips on how to improve my asanas and understand them better, and there are some interesting sections on the spine and breathing. I'm likely to use this as a reference book to dip into rather than reading from start to finish. Note it does not include any instructions on how to move into poses, it simply (!) explains the joints, muscles and breathing involved in each asana. It also points out common obstacles that might impair each asana/pose and cautions/risks.

An impressively technical account of many yoga poses, but most people like me may need an anatomical dictionary while reading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Yoga Anatomy
Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff (Paperback - 30 July 2007)
Used & New from: 10.82