on 29 March 2000
This is a very clearly presented factual book that is particularly good in describing the technique of shooting arrows. It describes each step throughout a shot, from taking ones stance, holding and raising the bow, drawing, anchoring, aiming and releasing the arrow. It is particularly good and unusual in that it recognises common shooting faults and gives a list of probable causes for each. This is very useful for both beginners and intermediates who, without a coach in regular attendance, may need to diagnose and correct their own shooting faults. I have a copy of this book myself and thoroughly recommend it both for a one-off read and as a regularly consulted reference.
on 25 November 2001
This was the first book I bought on archery. I was not disappointed. It gave very clear and simple steps. As a beginner the most important stages were on good form and how to acheive it. It basically opend up the world of archery to me and helped me to enjoy and improve my archery. A very good buy, you will read this many times.
on 16 December 2001
A good beginners manual. I found it very informative in basic set-up, also in getting to grips with fault finding and setting of goals for future improvement of style, consistency etc
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 December 2011
As a neophyte, I enjoyed thus book. It was just what I was hoping for. Before receiving the book, the nearest I had come to archery instruction was the odd Robin Hood film, some very odd indeed but this seemed just what Robin himself might have read somewhere in the depths of Sherwood, although I am not sure he would have recognised some of the bows described.

It is a step-by-step guide to beginner's archery and, if along the way, the wrong step is taken, there is a section on spotting and curing the typical faults. The illustrations are not what I have become used to in some expensive golf books by the top players who use very fast, motion-stopping cameras but, since the motions are not very fast (arrow excluded), there is no reason for anything other than the effective line-drawings it has.

If what readers are looking for is a book to take them through the basics of beginners archery in sensible, well-described stages, this is the book for them. (It also cured me of the Robin Hood impersonations!) Recommended.
on 3 May 1999
I'm a newcomer to the sport of archery. I could not have selected a better book to start with. I read the book completely before buying my bow and other gear. This helped immensely in knowing somewhat what I needed and wanted. The lesson plans and activities are easy to understand and very useful. I refer back to the book often. I highly recommend this book.
on 17 November 1998
This book covered everything you need to start the sport of acrhery and more. I continue to refer back to it for guidence.
on 12 November 2012
I'm totally new to recurve archery and am doing lessons at the local adult education centre. These are great but the group is big and the equipment pretty, let's say, basic.

This American book assumes that you have access to a half decent bow but even without that luxury it helps the user to establish the core essentials. Effective archery is based on developing 'good form' through repetition, repetition, consistency and, more than that, consistency. This could be pretty boring but Haywood and her co-author do a great job in explaining why consistency is so vital and in providing exercises and drills to get you there. They also take a useful look at the bells & whistles that come later, once good form has been developed - sights, stabilisation and so forth. They also take the reader forward into the realms of technique refinement, but it's the basics that so far, for me, prove the worth of this title.

I appreciate that many people do not learn practical skills effectively from books, but you're reading this so I assume that you are open to this form of education / instruction and I have to say that, for me, it perfectly complements the weekly hour-long sessions of shooting. Any American-ness is not intrusive and in any case archery is a sport without boundaries. (I should mention that the principles covered apply as much to compound bow shooting and the illustations balance recurve and compound types.)
on 16 June 2013
This book is my first instruction sports book and I found the science and techniques behind the sport to be very easily explained. It tells all you need to know through pictures, graphs and detailed information on the science and skills of archery. Some of the content was second nature to me thanks to my background in science and engineering. One day I will take these skills to participate in national and international tournaments. This book can help you make a career out of archery if you really put the work and effort into it.
on 14 December 2012
Sturdy cover and pages. Not very comprehensive. Not very descriptive, poor illustrations. Moves from compound bow, bare bow, recurve bow from page to page, no depth of instruction or illustration in any of them. I am not overly impressed with this book and will try to find another with all the attributes that this one lacks.
on 26 June 2013
If you want good information clearly presented, then this is the book to start archery with. It covers all types of ows you might encounter as a beginner, how to look after it, and most importantly how to shoot properly. A very clear and well presented guide.