5.0 out of 5 stars Almost guaranteed to improve your marathon times, 21 April 2004
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
You can use this book in two ways.
Simply follow one of the training programmes, and watch your marathon timeimprove.
Alternatively, read about exactly what physiological changes marathontraining is designed to produce, what training sessions effect whatchanges, and how to go about training and marathon preparation in the mosteffective way.
Whichever you choose to do, you will benefit from a book which is clearand very readable. Do not kid yourself that this is a short-cut tomarathon success though - it sets out the hard work that you need to do,and why you need to do it, but it can't do the work for you.
I followed the "up to 70 miles per week" training programme and reduced mymarathon personal best from 3 hours 8 minutes to 2 hours 49 minutes, so itdoes work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Achieving Your Personal Best, 17 Oct 2005
Iron Man (Southampton, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
I have a large collection of books on running. They cover everything from running 10k to marathon distances, nutrition, hydration, injuries, race strategy etc. This book is far and away my favourite book on marathon training and racing. If you want to be scientific about your training then this book will give you all the science you need. If you just want to follow a schedule this book will give you all the schedules you'll ever need. If you want to be the best marathon runner you can be then this is the book for you. I had run a number of marathons before I started reading this book and my goal was always to break the three hour barrier. My previous best was 3hrs 11mins. I knocked fifteen minutes off my time to complete the 2004 London Marathon in 2hrs 56mins at the age of 47! I put it all down to the application of the principles in this book. OK, some effort from me and a little talent (though not much) for running also helped.
If you only ever buy one book on marathoning then this should be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Aug 2007
S. Price - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
Was recommended this book by someone on runnersworld.co.uk forums. I run my first marathon this Sunday and having read this book a couple of months ago it really helped me understand why I was doing certain training runs. I haven't used one of the schedules but will be doing so for my next marathon. This book really helps you understand the science of running, which, if you're hoping to run sub 3 hrs, is a must. Everything is explained clearly and doesn't require a degree in biology to understand. Top book

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 July 2009
Mark A. Campion (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
This book is great and explains everything a semi elite runner needs to know. It goes into just enough detail on the physiology side of things and has some great schedules to cover most people's requirements. I wouldn't recommend this book for a beginner but someone who is looking for sub 3 hour marathons. I kept it by my side during my training for both the Berlin and London marathons and will keep it handy for all my future races.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for those wanting to run a fast marathon, 29 Nov 2008
M. S. Hunt - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced Marathoning (Paperback)
I ran the London Marathon this year using the 55K training programme. It was my first marathon and I got Sub 3 hours. I found the book brilliant - very practical. I previously bought the Lore of Running by Noakes but it is far too detailed and not useful if you just want to have a good training programme and understand why you are doing what you are. The chapter that explained the science was excellent - very clear.

Advanced Marathoning
Advanced Marathoning by Scott Douglas (Paperback - 1 Mar 2001)
Used & New from: 0.89