5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 18 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Photoshop Masking Compositing: By the author of the bestselling Photoshop Restoration & Retouching (Voices That Matter) (Paperback)
I have always found selecting a tedious job and I was never sure which tool to use for a given job. This book is a blessing, it clearly goes through each selection tool and explains pros and cons for each one and explains how you can use them with Quick mask or use a combination of selection tools to get what you want. I even use Pen now since it has been explained properly in this book.
Masking - though I had grabbed the concepts by reading posts on the web I needed a book that explained the "beast" in greater detail. You should work through all the examples to get the best out of this book - it is well worth the effort.
Overall, I can only agree with the other reviewers - One of the better photoshop books on the market. In fact I can't wait until the updated "restoration" book from the same author is out on the market..

5.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop heaven!, 22 Nov 2004
By A Customer
WOW - this book is absolutely amazing! Yes, it's expensive and no, it doesn't even come with a CD (although you can download most of the images), but it's over 500 pages long and in my opinion it's well worth every penny.
I've been using Photoshop for a few years to edit my photos and thought I had a relatively good grasp of it. However, every chapter of this book has taught me HEAPS of new tips and innovative techniques that I've never seen anywhere else. The fact that there are so many walk-throughs makes it easy to try things out and the book has hundreds of colour photos to illustrate the techniques.
If you want to make life easier for yourself when it comes to photo editing or if you're interested in discovering the best ways to use selections, masks, paths etc you need this book.
Buy it, you won't regret it - you'll be in Photoshop heaven!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Magic, 9 Nov 2006
allan (Hartlepool,) - See all my reviews
This has to be one of the most useful and comprehensive Photoshop books available.

If you want to discover a multitude of methods to make masks / selections, simply explained, buy this book, download the images, and work through the tutorials. They are pure magic!

I thought I was quite good at Photoshop but Katrin shows you tools and methods I personally had never thought about. Every possible situation is explained, and well illustrated in the most simple and comprehensive way possible. This plus the excellent layout and quality of the book make it a "must buy".

I would possibly add a word of caution as to whether or not it is suitable for beginners as I feel it does assume a knowledge of Photoshop throughout, but I stress this is only my opinion. Others may disagree.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly exceptional book, 10 Dec 2004
Mr. S. Streeter "Steve Streeter" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is not cheap but an absolute must have for any Photoshop artist who wants to master masking, selections and layers. Any book which succeeds in taking all the hard work out of mastering the Pen tool is surely worth a closer look.
Although a graphic artist with some years experience of Photoshop, I have learnt so much from this book in just a couple days. Katrin writes with authority, humour and such infectious enthusiasm that I defy anyone not be be well and truly inspired after reading her book. Whether new to Photoshop or a seasoned pro, there is something in Katrin's book for everyone.
"Masking and Compositing" is extensively illustrated, extremely easy to follow and explains everything clearly and benefits from a dedicated website where you can download tutorial files. A truly inspirational and indispensable book and if you admire the photo montage work of artists such as Alicia Buelow, Diane Fenster et al, this book is full of techniques and suggestions which will enable your Photoshop collages to truly shine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 Oct 2005
Peter Lethbridge "lethbrp" (Dartford, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As a digital photographer, I was skeptical about ordering a book on masking as I assumed the audience was primarily aimed at graphic artists. I was very surprised to find this book an absolute essential for all digital photographers. It's exceptionally well written and easy to follow. It has numerous techniques that other books just gloss over without explanation of what happens beneath the covers of Photoshop. I'd strongly recommend this book to anyone who wants to go to the next stage of Photoshop. It not only explains various techniques for masking, it also gives you knowledge of layers and channels. Well done Katrin, an excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars strict but fair, 28 Dec 2008
M. Klingenberg "romtarom" (London) - See all my reviews
I have been photoshopping for about 4 years now and have considerably improved my skills all thanks to the 'Kelby-Posse'; especially Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski with their inimitable way of 'fun' teaching never got boring and their online tutorials and books are still constant companions when I get stuck. They always managed to show me how, but never why I need to do things to correct my digital images (I never asked either... as you can tell, their off-hand style can rub off... get to the point!).
Enter Katrin Eismann: When I first bought her retouching book I was overwhelmed by the fact that she wanted the reader to understand what is going on in photoshop and that she actually gave tasks to be completed. I never finished that book. A few years down the line and I feel like getting more into compositing. Her book on selections, masking and compositing is a revelation. She is still far more strict and teacher like than her colleagues at Kelby-Training but I can deal better with it now. She explains especially selections so well, I haven't used a feather command since reading this book. She offers a wealth of inspiration and many a solution for various problems. The exercises are easy to follow (if not always that easy to complete, but one wants to learn something, does one not?). This is a very good book for the advanced rookie; no quirky jokes but more than a lot of content to make up for that (if you miss the jokes, that is). Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent excellent!!, 11 Sep 2010
So far this book is absolutely fantastic. It has taught me so much in such a short space of time and it is written and formatted in a way that is easy on the eyes - it seems more digestible somehow..
The 1st part of this book is going through the selection tools - which are really an essential tool set to master in photoshop for many reasons. There is an awful lot here that I didn't know about, even things that seem simplistic (such as rectangular marquee) have deeper uses for selections that make life easier! She demonstrates that there is no one tool or quick click to select objects, but by using the variety of selection methods together you can get excellent selections. There are loads of helpful tips and shortcuts throughout this entire book.

The author then goes on to show and explain ways to take those selections and make them blend in with whatever your going to use them with - how to soften the edges and play with all the various settings to get a seamless composition. (Over simplified, but this is the jist)

There is a whole chapter devoted to the pen tool - called "pen tool power".

She then goes on to teach about the layer masks and how to use them - layers and masks. Although I haven't reached this chapter yet, I have browsed the whole book and the techniques being demonstrated here look very exciting! Some really cool effects are shown that have been done with various masks. By revealing and concealing with these tools, it seems that there are limitless possibilities for great effects, seamless compositions and so much more!

The author then goes on to explain and teach more layering power and in depth layer masking.

Then there is a whole chapter called, "selecting and preserving fine detail"!! This chapter covers things like, selecting fine hair and details, selecting translucency and "green screen" techniques. Included in this chapter is "advanced selection techniques".

There is also a chapter on photographing composition and image execution.. this deals with things like, planning the image, models props & locations, format resolution & equipment, matching perspective, matching props, photographic essentials such as; lenses, exposure, shutter speed, depth of field, lighting (Qualities of lighting), shadow and background considerations. This chapter was an unexpected bonus for me - I hadn't expected to find lessons in this book on capturing great shots for use in photoshop, so was very pleased to find this.

The next chapter deals with photorealistic compositing and making impossible images look real, as if captured on camera. There is also a chapter on creative compositing, which is far more abstract and unreal.

All in all this is the best teaching book for photoshop CS4 that I have yet come across. It covers things very well and with a writing style that is not too complicated and has been easier to absorb and follow. It seems to be in an order that makes a lot of sense too.

I'm working my way through this book like a course, from start to finish, Following the written instructions and the helpful visuals and photographs - by the end I expect I will be accomplished at photoshop!

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Techniques, 17 May 2005
Lorna Brown (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is amazing. The techniques in it revolutionised my relationship with Photoshop.My only quibble would be that the examples are a bit old-fashioned or cheesy which could put you off using her techniques. Anyone who reads it however, is sure to learn loads and wonderful shortcuts that can be used on any kind of photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 20 Dec 2004
C. Hoyos "carlos5370" (UK) - See all my reviews
If you already have a basic knowledge of photoshop and are looking for the book that will take you a bit further this is it. Another level. Clear, authoritative and SO well written.
I have four or five other books on photoshop I got this one, bought the other one bt K Eismann and sold the rest. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable, 3 Feb 2007
John Mcmahon (London, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Katrin is a great teacher, read the book once and then keep it close to hand when working as a refresher.

She demystifies masking and shows just how flexible and powerful masks can really be. You will end up buying all her other excellent books too, so be warned!