5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect guide for new and experienced Photoshoppers....
I have been using Photoshop from v3 and I thought I was a competent user. This book has opened a whole new Photoshop world for me - Alien Skin not required!
Take a look at the finished product then follow the step by step instructions, adapting for your own needs along the way, and you have some pretty hot graphics for web or publishing.
This is not a Photoshop...
Published on 28 Oct. 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, poor for more advanced users
I bought this book because I thought it would teach me some l33t things about Photoshop 7 which one doesn't find on every Photoshop tutorial site on the Internet.
Published on 25 Jan. 2003 by Ben C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, poor for more advanced users, 25 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Photoshop 7 Down and Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
Unfortunately, it didn't. There are tutorials on typography, interface design, image manipulation and enhancement etc. everywhere on the Internet which are just as good, if not even better, as the ones in this book.
The tutorials in "Photoshop 7 Down & Dirty Tricks" are clear, easy to understand and well illustrated. The only other PS book I have is "Photoshop 6 WOW Book", which did teach me quite a lot of new stuff, but definitely wasn't as easy to understand as this book.
If you are an advanced Photoshop users, don't get this book, as you most probably won't learn anything new. However, if you are a beginner, and you prefer having your resources on paper than on your screen, or if you don't want to search the web for tutorials and compile a collection of them, then I do recommend this book. If I would be a beginner, I would probably give this book 4/5 stars. From my perspective as a more advanced user, I only gave it 3/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect guide for new and experienced Photoshoppers...., 28 Oct. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Photoshop 7 Down and Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
This is not a Photoshop manual but does cover keyboard shortcuts and some complicated techniques that encourage further experimentation with the bundled tools.
New to Photoshop? This is the book to start with.
Experienced user? Still worth having - you're bound to find a mass of new techniques in there!!
100%

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide, 26 Jun. 2002
Mr L Peck (Pershore, Worcestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photoshop 7 Down and Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
This is a great book! The examples cover a very broad scope of instances where they may be applied. Even as a complete novice to Photoshop 7 (like me) the reader will be able to achieve the effects demonstrated by Scott, some of which are very dramatic indeed. It is not always obvious why some of the steps in the examples do what they do, so it can take several attempts to apply a technique to ones own work to achieve the desired result, but that's all part of learning how to use Photoshop, I guess. I noticed that in some of the examples that there are some omissions and/or inaccuracies in the list of instructions. I am not sure if this is intentional but it certainly caused me to study harder to try to understand exactly what was supposed to be happening at each step of the process, so intentional or not I felt I learned more by their existence. Another nice feature of this book is that it does not need to be read from beginning to end before any of the techniques can be used, a reader can just flick through the book till he gets to the effect he wants and just follow the instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic read, 22 Sept. 2002
This review is from: Photoshop 7 Down and Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
Apart from all the excellent very easy to read (with accompanying full-colour screen-shots) tutorials, which are presented in point-form..... the thing I liked just as much was Scott`s excellent humour... exactly what a great book should be - extremely informative AND entertaining.
I didn`t find that downloading any tutorial files from his website a problem at all... in fact, I`d rather download stuff if I wanted to than be charged a fair bit extra for an added cd.
You may be able to find some similar tutorials on websites if you search high and low, but they generally aren`t anywhere near the quality of Scott`s. I would definitely do some searches for web tutorials anyway during and after reading this book, as it`s very useful, and a couple of effects (like crystals) aren`t discussed in this book.
At the price this book is now, it`s a steal.... even at full-price, it`s worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up and running in minutes..., 26 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Photoshop 7 Down and Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
It works! It really works I ordered this being a little sceptical as I have received Photoshop books before and thought "Eeek I need another lifetime to read all that..." this one is different because you can actually use the information provided within minutes of opening the book! I have used the tricks for websites, presetations and lots of other commercial applications. I would heartily recommend this book to anyone who wants to get quality results in the shortest possible time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 6 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Photoshop 7 Down and Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
Just like a cookbook, it takes the reader step by step to achieve various results, from eye catching bold metalic titles to putting your photograph onto a creditcard.
What the book doesn't do is take you through the technical reasons to why certain tools are used, just like a cookbook tend not to tell you why certain ingredients are used.
This is a learn by doing book, rather than a read the whole chapter and you might learn something if you didn't fall asleep book. Flick through the book and you'll want to try the tutorials out.
Probably not suitable for the absolute photoshop beginner, but more appropriate for someone who already know a little and want to learn more in the shortest time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop 7 - Down & Dirty Tricks, 26 Nov. 2002
J SHAW (MANCHESTER, LANCS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Review by John Shaw
Described as a 'Photoshop book that takes risks...' this book certainly contains several concepts that differ from the more traditional tomes found on bookshelves today. Appealing to all levels of expertise, this is a book to have fun with !
Its eight chapters are packed with easy to understand, step by step instruction that will enable you to produce a multitude of special effects quickly and efficiently. These vary from metal chrome text, to high tech interface design. It is aimed at the intermediate to advanced user, as it requires some previous Photoshop experience, but having used the book to create several effects, I can say a novice would also find it very useful and productive.
One of the most rewarding aspects of this book is the ability to 'jump in', pick a page and have a go. You don't need to read several chapters before getting to something interesting, its instant !
It contains a neat introduction, in which the author pens some relevant Q. & A. in a format any prospective purchaser would want. This is a new version that not only encompasses the new tools in Photoshop 7, but includes lots of new slick effects and revamps some of the older ones. Although it doesn't come with a CD you are able to download many of the images used from a dedicated website and try them out yourself.
The Down & Dirty concept will make a huge difference to Photoshop users, helping readers to master cool, jaw dropping images, in the shortest possible time. It must be pointed out that some of the effects can be found in many of the third party Filter or Actions packages around, but these tend to be expensive. There is also a greater satisfaction in knowing how to simulate the effect yourself and having total control over it!
So, take a leap forward and buy this book. A must for any serious Photoshop enthusiast. Highly Recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost useless !, 23 Nov. 2003
Scott "reedsc" (Preston Brook, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photoshop 7 Down and Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
I'm a new user of Photoshop. After reading the reviews on this book I thought it would be the best one to get me going. How wrong could I be ??!!. Yes - it's like a cookery book, in that you can supposedly flick to a page and re-create an effect,... but there's not enough basic information, and I'm finding it very difficult to follow even the simplest of effects. I feel that I've wasted my money.

2.0 out of 5 stars For graphic designers only, 1 Mar. 2010
Mr. R. J. MacRae "jayhawk2000" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photoshop 7 Down and Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
There's hardly anything in here for photographers wanting to improve their images. The single chapter that covers photographic effects talks about changing colours, faking a shallow depth of field, adding blur and adding selective colour to a B&W image (how 90s). In other words, how to add things to a photo that weren't there in the first place (and not very convincingly, either).

So if you're interested in digital darkroom shortcuts that can give your images a professional sheen (things like dodging and burning, curves adjustments, smoothing out blemishes, etc) then this book won't be any help at all.

There are lots of shortcuts listed in the margins, but these aren't presented in a useful manner. I've seen magazine articles with cut-out checklists that are better organised.

The rest of the book is devoted mainly to playing with text, creating logos and producing amateurish special effects. Useful I suppose if you're running a youth club or need to print fliers for next week's pub quiz, because that's the level of creativity and professionalism this book will allow you to achieve.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm going to have great fun with this book., 12 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Photoshop 7 Down and Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
I'm going to have great fun with this book. Can't see any signs of use and for a penny plus postage! Doesn't get better than that.

Photoshop 7 Down and Dirty Tricks
Photoshop 7 Down and Dirty Tricks by Scott Kelby (Paperback - 23 April 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01