Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 September 2004
The most practical book EVER on writing for the web, and any other type of writing that you will need during your existence.
That's the impact this book has had on me.
This is the book that I have always looked for to improve my writing. The beauty is that you will learn how to structure your writing according to context.
So if you want to write for the web, help files, to appeal to a technical audience or to individuals who just want to read for fun, this book tells you how to. It even suggests very useful and down to earth templates that make sense.
Add to this the fact that the author is knowledgeable in information design and architecture, and you are flying for the web as a content manager!
on 17 November 2004
I read this online with the Safari service but unfortunately my memory is not good enough to go into all the details. However I was impressed at the scope of situations covered and the layout is brilliant, both to read from cover to cover and then to later use as a reference (how do I write a good submenu again?). This is what I will be doing when I get my physical copy.
There are plenty of examples of "before" and "after" texts and, if you like, you can have a go at rewriting the bad examples to see if you picked up on the suggestions. Each section is short and easy to digest. At the end of each section is a table that shows how the style applies different audiences.
Hot Text is suitable for everyone intending to write for the web or organise a website. It also has some indirect ideas for developers deploying or implementing their own content management systems, such as creating reusable text objects. Recommended.