5.0 out of 5 stars Northcutt hits the ball out of the park!
Published on 26 Aug. 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor in in deep technical content.... not meaty enought.
The book provide a good list and overview of most IDS tools out in the market. Unfortunatly if you are looking to go into greater detail about types of intrusion... it comes quite short in content. I found if you are looking to read this kind of subject is because you want to go in deep into the information and not very quick overview as per book.
Published on 9 Jan. 2001 by G.Gil

5.0 out of 5 stars Northcutt hits the ball out of the park!, 26 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
I am the chief of a 15 person intrusion detection team, with responsibility for centralized, around-the-clock monitoring of a global network. I believe I have enough experience to claim Steven's book is first rate and sorely needed. His reconstruction of a Christmas Eve system compromise and his analysis of Kevin Mitnick's TCP hijack of Tsutomu Shimomura's host are excellent case studies. His coverage of reset scans and other non-standard reconnaissance techniques prompted me to scour my traffic for the same events and write a paper on my findings. I do not agree with some of his conclusions on SYN ACK and reset scans, but his work made me investigate those topics. While I would have preferred slightly more explanation and examples of network traces (who wouldn't?), I hope this book begins a trend of sharing (sanitized) packet-level incident details within the IDS community. I recommended Steven's book to every analyst on my flight and every person in my unit, and I plan to build in-house training around it. I guarantee every person with a technical leaning and a position on the front line of intrusion detection will appreciate Steven's book. See you at SANS Network Security 99!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ahh, nothing like the smell of IP in the morning!, 25 April 2001
While this is a book on intrusion detection, I bought it for another reason. A friend refered me to this book when I asked him about "sniffing". The book is a great introduction to network sniffing! I give it "only" four stars because it falls short of its primary goal IDS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent: The missing link in Computer Security, 14 Jan. 2000
Whilst there are a multitude of books detailing the various computer vulnerabilities, very few give such a thorough description of how they work, more importantly in the IDS field their signatures. To get the most from this book a reasonable understanding of TCP/IP is required. Essential reading for anyone evaluating or tuning an IDS. Having just moved into the IDS field from security auditing this book has allowed me to hit the ground running.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor in in deep technical content.... not meaty enought., 9 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Network Intrusion Detection: An Analyst's Handbook (Landmark) (Paperback)

Network Intrusion Detection: An Analyst's Handbook (Landmark)
Network Intrusion Detection: An Analyst's Handbook (Landmark) by Stephen Northcutt (Paperback - 19 Sept. 2000)
Used & New from: £0.40