on 11 June 2001
I found myself having to use MySQL to backend a C-based project I was doing, but I'd not seen MySQL before. Used this book along with the online manual and had the application working great (with replication!) in about three days. Just added a web-based PHP front end too. All this is documented in this book, very clear and easy to follow. Problems? - if you don't know SQL, get a SQL reference as well, and the book is a bit out of date, which is normal with computer software books. Oh, and it's a bit on the pricy side.. Summary: in my opinion this book is as definitive on MySQL as K&R is/was on the C language. Get it!
on 7 March 2001
Having embarked up on a large project for my Company, utilising both PHP and MySQL I found this book a godsend.
You need to have some experience of programming but the book is laid out so concisely and precisely that you will find that even seemingly complex theories and procedures become simple.
As well as PHP there are excellent chapters on how to access MySQL from both C and Perl, using the DBI
on 7 June 2000
This book is one of the most complete book on MySQL. I wish I had it earlier before buying O'Reilly's mSQL/MySQL. Although O'Reilly's is good (with quite a lot of errata) overview of mSQL and MySQL, this book covers MySQL in more details, down to some scripts/tips that you can use while writing your SQL statements. Optimizing your query is also mentioned, plus interfacing MySQL with C, Perl and Php (why no Java?).
If you want a good book on MySQL, this is the one.
on 7 March 2000
A clear insight into MySql. Saved me having to print out the online documentation
on 27 June 2000
Paul, I would truely like to congratulate you on such complete and comprehensive coverage of MySQL. For people who don't know Paul is a frequent contributor to both the support mail list and the development of MySQL. Paul's book is suitable to all skill levels and is written in a style that can be understood by all. I highly recommend Paul's to anybody interested in using and/or programming MySQL
on 10 November 2000
This book is cool, I mean it is great if this is your first time programming this cool open source relational database. Though I recommend mixing PHP with MySQL! This book guides you step by step into creating databases then tables etc. Very clear and easy to understand. I also recommend you should buy Oreilly`s MySQL & mSQL . With these two books you cant`t go wrong! Proffesional PHP programming is also recommended. Well done to the author..
on 4 August 2000
This is a truly excellent book on MySQL, it covers almost everything one ever needs to know about the Open Source database program.
Together with Professional PHP, this will serve most web developers' needs for writting a robust and fast web application, with advanced concept further given by Web Application Development with PHP 4.0.
on 18 July 2000
A very consise and complete book! Being a complete beginner when I first bought it, I would definitely recommend it to anyone.
on 23 August 2000
A good reference, I just found that I am continually going to the PHP section of the book (alas less than 50 of its 700 pages), and that the SQL syntax could do with being easier to find things in quickly. I wonder how much all the information on the C API is used? It's particularly good at warning you when features arrived (lots is changing in the MySQL world around v 3.22 and 3.23, i.e. at the moment).