on 19 August 2001
Dan Ablan's book is astounding in its simplicity. He has the knack of breaking the most complex of tasks down into easily digestable fragments. You are led through a series of insightful tutorials, by the end of which (and with a bit of practice) you should be up to the industry standard.The writing style is jargon free and welcoming. The illustrations (So often lacking in 3d books) are crisply reproduced and very clear. In three weeks of concentrated effort i went from being a lightwave novice to a competent character animator , all thanks to this book. The accompanying CD contains helpful files and images. I also found that the format of the book allowed for picking and choosing which bits you wish to use (ie. more competent Lightwave users can cut to the chase without being completely lost.) I could go on for days but wont bore you. Just be rest assured, this IS A BOOK WORTH BUYING. YOUR 3d WORK WILL UNDOUBTEDLY GET BETTER AS A RESULT. Can't recommend it enough really.
on 22 February 2002
I am a 3D Max user, learning to use Lightwave alongside max for many projects. I have never used LW before so I purchased this book. I must express, I probably own around 6 different max books all good in their areas but none of them cover a the package like this LW book. The tutorials are excellent, I mean the chapter on modelling and texturing a head from scratch is fantastic. The chapter shows you step by step the modelling and teuxture stages and I mean step by step. Some tuts just show you a snapshot of diffrent stages and leave the in-experienced user scratching their head ! I have never come accross another book yet with such detail. The whole book covers LW in great depth to get you competent in the app. On the strength of this book, I will definately purchase Inside Lightwave 7 which has all new updates and tuts. I just wish some other books tried to achieve the same level of excellence, especially in the modelling sections.
on 18 March 2002
This book should be on the bookshelf of anyone who owns Lightwave.
The book is very broadranging - it deals with the fundamentals of the programs themselves - how to navigate the interfaces and use the many common windows that are all part and parcel of the Lightwave experience. In this light it is an EXCELLENT choice for the beginner - as the official manual explains the "what's"; but all too commonly not the "why's" and the "how-to's".
There's plenty in there also for the intermediate right upto the professional -
surfacing - lighting - modelling - using expressions and much more - it's all in there to some degree. I guarantee that the only way that you wont gain anything from this book at all; will be because you have already read it!
A must have for all Lightwavers - say no more!
on 24 January 2002
Six stars.
This book [...] has taken me for a 3D Modeling and Animating wanna be to someone who is now more than happy to show his work to the world.
A few parts of the book were a little difficult to follow and I had to re-read a few time but on the whole I found this to be a totally enjoyable and enlightening read.
If you have a few pounds spare and want to learn lightwave then I would say - Buy This Book
on 30 October 2000
Before purchasing this book, I had used Lightwave for about 6 years and thought I had a full knowledge of all its secrets. That all changed with version 6 though. All those little extras, as well as the new layout were bound to be confusing.....but this book helps alot! I have to say that although alot of the book goes over old concepts (eg compositing), it also covers many new topics..........many of which are covered in the excellent "face" tutorial, which is worth the price of the book alone in my opinion. The CD supplied with the book is also useful. There are many plugins which help you make the most out of lightwave. All in all, an excellent read. Buy it!
on 9 October 2000
Personally I found this book an invaluable resource. The content was well planned and informative, the facial modelling elements where a true gold mine.