Format: PaperbackChange

on 29 October 2013
I was really looking forward to this new book and the new microsoft exams but be warned. This book is terrible.

I have been a professional software developer for over 10 years and have been using C# for the past 5 or so. I was really looking forward to formalizing my knowledge by taking the exam. It's as if this book was written in some non English language and ran through a translator.

The examples provided are often confusing, misleading and not complete. For some reason also the book goes straight into Async and multi-threading with tasks and factories before it talks about types and classes in the most basic sense. I seriously cannot believe this went through any sort of quality assurance before it was released

Reading this book often confused me more than it actually gave me reference for the actual exam. The abstract metaphors de Kort uses are complete nonsense and will leave you wondering how to interpret the metaphor never mind the topic he is trying to explain.

Do yourself a favor and buy "Pro C#5 and .NET 4.5" by Andrew Troelsen instead. Sure it's very meaty at 1400+ pages but it will give you total confidence and understanding when it comes to the exam.

I appreciate this is an exam reference and not designed to actually teach you about the inner workings like the book I have mentioned but still, you'll fully understand the topic and ace the exam!

Good luck!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2015
Call this a training Kit? NO EXAM QUESTIONS, NO EXAM ENGINE, NO LAB EXERCISES, NO E-BOOK, no bonus material. This not a KIT, Microsoft. It is a BOOK. Good People: Do NOT confuse these terse and superficial...BOOKS...with the old "Self-Paced" Microsoft Certification KITS, which had all of the above goodies and, were packed with detail too.

We have to learn this stuff, get the exam, score a job and then put it into practice, but this is NOT a tutorial, NOT a reference and will not ALONE get you through the exam - as the...BOOK...itself says: "...round out your exam preparation by using...the training kit (sic) AND ANOTHER STUDY GUIDE". So no kit, not a tutorial, not a reference and it doesn't get you through the exam. Fine.

Also agree with reviewer Barry Hall. It's English, Jim - but not as we know it. Annoyingly, the author cannot form conditional sentences, e.g. "if there WOULD BE (sic) no would be null". If this book WOULD HAVE been proof read, then this sort of thing would have been picked up :o). Did I mention there are NO EXAM QUESTIONS?

To be fair to Wouter, there are some neat little "deep dives", but exam prep is more of a steady, thorough, wading exercise, and when he isn't deep diving, we can be water-skiing over C# or getting dragged through it face first. I just finished the first objective - Multithreading (!). I really need something more readable, sequential and thorough.

Oh- there IS a 15% exam voucher, but IMO you'd probably better off with a free resit (...or two...or three). I now regret buying FOUR of these pretty, green books all at once. From now on, will only buy from the Microsoft Press MCTS/MCSD series if I really have to.

on 22 June 2015
If you could buy a single book which will enable you to pass a certification exam then that certification will not be worth the paper on which it is printed. It takes hours of coding, broad reading and possibly the use of training videos to get you in the position from which you will succeed. I have read this book and I highly recommend it as a good guide. I emphasize the word guide. Microsoft certifications are designed to test for real world skills rather than how much you can memorise and spit out in an exam. The reviews which gave this book low scores are perfectly valid however they miss this subtle point. I would have given this 4 stars however there are no excuse for typos and informational inaccuracies.
on 13 October 2015
Many typos. Subjects are presented in a very funny order. Some examples use 'Reader' where they mean 'Writer'. Sloppy editing.
on 21 July 2014
Extremely good for the exam. Definitely not the definitive book for learning C# language but excellent for the exam.
on 24 May 2015
As a study guide for passing the MS certification exam, this book is acceptable. I have however used other guides for different exams and the accompanying texts were far superior. As a simple introduction to C#, this book is appalling. Why on earth would anyone think that a sensible introduction to the language would be to jump straight into the Task Parallel Library and asynchronous programming? This is an advanced topic that really belongs further towards the back of the book.

I have programmed in C# for over a decade and simply wanted to gain some acknowledgement of this by passing the exam. Normally what I will do is load up one of the practice exams and attempt it in certification mode "cold", without having first looked at the material. That way, I can target the gaps in my knowledge, without wading through material that I already know. Imagine my disappointment that this text does not come with any form of examination material. I believe this appears to be a simple money-making policy on the part of Microsoft. You now have to pay for exam materials separately via MeasureUp, another MS partner. To me, this makes this study guide useless.

To be honest, if you wished to gain a fuller understanding of the C# language, take a look at one of the Pluralsight online courses, in particular the 70-483 learning path. The various modules are presented by some industry heavyweights such as Scott Allen, Kate Gregory, et al.
on 8 January 2014
I wasn't expecting much based on the other reviews but found this book well structured, easy to follow and quite comprehensive. Yes, you have to already be at a certain level to appreciate it, but it gave me a good overview of what are important topics to understand and I learned new things about previous used techniques.

The chapter summaries and 'Thought' sections are helpful for clarity as are the questions and answers. It also provides some quite helpful real world application examples. I always think it's a good idea to know what is required for an exam as this will give you a good grounding of what topics are important to understand a piece of software more fully.
on 18 May 2014
Good clear examples of coding in C# I'm making the conversion from VB to C# and found this book clear and concise, with easy to follow examples.
on 20 December 2014
on 10 December 2013
The most important part of any MS Exam study guide are the practice exams. This has none, so it's already only capable of picking up a maximum of 2 stars from me. Another reviewer has pointed out the technical errors in the book, and commented on its poor layout and choppy presentation. So I needn't repeat those comments here.

I am still persevering with it, as I have few alternatives for the core exam curriculum, but I've had to read Jon Skeet's book C# In Depth and the O'Reilly book Programming C# for the in depth coverage, and clear exposition of C# features that this book lacks.

It's a thin enough book, so it shouldn't have taken long to read. Truth is, I abandoned it half way through chapter 1, and have read and reread C# in Depth, before I felt ready to spend any more time on it. It took just 20 minutes on the train this morning to motivate me to log on and write this review.