Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author, though not specifically for the purpose of doing a review.

Published 9 months ago by Alan Cossey

3.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Access 2013 Inside Out
I purchased this book to update myself on Access as until recently I was operating Access 2003. A change of computer gave me Access 2013 and I felt I had a lot to catch up on.

Published 6 months ago by Mr Alan Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in-depth book on Access 2013 by a member of the Access development team, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Access 2013 Inside Out (Inside Out (Microsoft)) (Paperback)

Jeff Conrad knows his stuff and is very able at explaining how to best use Access 2013. I am an Access developer and hence have concentrated on those things which are most important for me in my job, but it seems to me that the book will be very useful for those only just starting to use Access.

Access 2013 has no extra functionality on the "old", non-web side of things and the effort has been put into making Access 2013 able to create good web databases. Jeff Conrad does an excellent job of explaining clearly how to get the best out of the stuff Access 2013, while still explaining desktop functionality in Part II of the book. The book has some companion material which provides examples.

Microsoft documentation for Access 2013 is severely lacking, i.e. almost non-existent, and this book takes you carefully through the new functionality, which is very different from that of Access 2010 on the web side of things. Along the way are sidebars and notes which contain some gems of information.

I have used the Kindle version of this book, which I find particularly useful since I have two screens with my PC. This allows me to have the book open on one screen while I work on the other. Having an e-book version also makes it extremely easy to search the book for items.

Jeff Conrad is part of the Access development team at Microsoft so it is not surprising he understands it well. However, he also has the ability to explain things well and that is what makes this book so useful. If you haven't started to use Access 2013 yet, it would help you greatly to go through the relevant parts of this book before you start trying to use Access 2013. I would think you will save yourself a great deal of time if you do.

One question I have though. Access 2013's web design functionality is capable of being updated significantly as time goes by and without having to wait for the next version of Access. It has already had "cascading comboxes" added (something which should really have been in the original release). I'll be interested to see if this book is updated in a similar manner (or, at least, the e-book versions).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent review of web Access 2013, 28 Nov 2013
J. L. Vergaert "Jean Louis" (Hammersmith, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Finally a book with a focus on the web-based Access 2013. Other Access 2013 books (including the not-too-bad Access 2013: The Hidden Manual) focus instead on the desktop features of Access 2013, with only a small chapter about the web features. This one starts immediately with the extraordinary capacities of the web features, and it does it brilliantly, combining simple explanations with powerful macros and examples. Note that you can easily start by buying a cheap Microsoft Office 365 subscription for yourself.
I haven't gone through all the example databases available but they all look very impressive. It is clearly a thorough book. It is self-explained and without jargon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Content good, presentation creates difficulties, 13 Nov 2013
The book has a lot of useful stuff in it - I have bee using MS Access since the late 90s, but there is more to learn with each new version of Access, and this book has certainly helped me to get up to speed with the new features of Access 2013 which I need to know about. However, a large proportion of the more advanced material provided by the book is contained in downloadable documents rather than the printed book itself. This would be OK if there were a comprehensive TOC and index, but unless I am mistaken these do not exist.

Colin Bright

3.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Access 2013 Inside Out, 28 Dec 2013

I'm a bit disappointed with the book as it seems to concentrate on developing web site applications. There is the opportunity to download further chapters with what is described as desktop applications but this was not clear when I purchased the book.

It is not the books fault but the screenshots are the "wishy- washy" pale grey of the latest versions of Office and are not the easiest to read therefore.

To sum up, a good detailed book for developing a web based database, but not what I thought was "on the tin"

Microsoft Access 2013 Inside Out (Inside Out (Microsoft))
Microsoft Access 2013 Inside Out (Inside Out (Microsoft)) by Jeff Conrad (Paperback - 2 Aug 2013)
30.99