4.0 out of 5 stars Helped Me Pass
It was easy to read, and contained good examples to work through.
It helped me pass my certification, so I recommend it to others.
Published 15 months ago by Mr S Haker

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful theory let down by error strewn examples
As someone with a background in the SQL Server BI Stack I was hoping to use this book to learn a bit more of the theory behind the practice, get to grips with the new features in SQL Server 2012 and pass exam 70-463.

Published 10 months ago by M. Sinkinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Microsoft Training Kit I've ever used., 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Training Kit (Exam 70-463): Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (Paperback)
First of all I struggle to understand how anyone can give this five stars and as such I question their motives for doing so.

I've been taking Microsoft exams for nearly 20 years and have recently passed 70-461 and 70-462, so I believe I am qualified to review this training kit.

As such I would reiterate a number of observations made by Mr. Sinkinson.

Quite simply this is the worst training kit I've ever used as it's littered with mistakes and errors, it would be simply impossible to follow the exercises without using the published errata on the O'reilly web-site. I cannot believe that anyone has proof read this book.

At times my progression has felt like wading through treacle as I have attempted to diagnose and correct each error.

Like most SQL DBA's you are probably forced into learning DW simply to maintain your SQL certification, so if you can find an alternative method of learning this product I suggest that you undertake it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful theory let down by error strewn examples, 18 Nov 2013
M. Sinkinson (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews

Whilst the theoretical content is good, covering everything from DW schema basics to optimising your SSIS packages, the example code is poor, often offering incomplete (or just plain incorrect) advice.

It unfortunately appears that no one proof-read the examples, or actually tried them out for themselves, otherwise the obvious errors would have been spotted.

A few examples of errors in the book include:
Creating table schemas and then inserting values larger than the column size without encountering a failure
Constantly switching between singular and plural table names (in the same example). This occurs so often, you often actually have to check back to the example code to see what you actually called the table...
Asking the user to 'connect the output' fro a transformation to another transformation, without specifying if you should connect the 'success' or 'failure' output.

However, if you can get past the issues in the examples, there is a lot of helpful information here and the exam questions are good basic preparation for taking the final exam.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped Me Pass, 13 Jun 2013
It was easy to read, and contained good examples to work through.
It helped me pass my certification, so I recommend it to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good preparation for the exam but won't guarantee a pass if used on its own, 11 Mar 2014
I'm writing this on the same day that I passed 70-463. Having previously used the other 2 ms training books to study and help to pass 70-461 and 70-462 I can now happily call myself a mcsa in sql server 2012. Without these books I would have never passed the exams but likewise I couldn't have passed by just using the books. The books help to give a grounding in the subject matter and I'm sure I'll now use them a reference as the exercises are very clear 'how to' guides . The measure-up questions help with drilling in key concepts but again these are not questions that really help in the exam.
It took me 6 weeks to read each book and complete the exercises ( never bothered with the case studies). 1 week to ace the measure-up test questions. 2 weeks of studying MS TechNet .... So 9 weeks per book.

Out if all the 3 training kits , 70-463 had the most errata but I'm not surprised given the bigger topics and concepts this book has to cover ( the o'reily website lists the errata so it's worth checking before starting each lesson). Out of the three, 70-463 was the most interesting, 70-461 the most straightforward and 70-462 the least interesting ( the pure DBA topics in 70-462 just didn't float my boat)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not great, but not bad either, 10 Mar 2014
I have read a lot of criticism about this book, and some of it is deserved, some not. There is a large Errata published online, of which I have contributed to myself. I recommend you review this first and update the book where necessary before you begin the exercises. It will save you a lot of heartache. While this shouldn't be necessary, you will not find a better one stop shop for learning the required exam content. This book was my main resource and coupled with the practice test questions on the companion CD, I still believe you are getting good value for money. As results always speak louder than words, can tell you that I passed the exam easily the second time round. The first failed attempt was not a reflection on the book or CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy training, 22 May 2013
It is easy to read, very good examples, as for what I read until now.
I would recommend anyone to purchase it if they need to sit for the certification.

5.0 out of 5 stars SQL 2012, 4 May 2013
This is an excellent book that provides what the title states. I would like to recommend this brilliant book. Cheers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pass the exam and cover the basics, 1 Nov 2013
David (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
You'll need to try everything in the book and spend five years in the industry to be a strong player. The book may well walk you through the exam, but simply ignores the workplace and the business challenges.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 16 Aug 2013
Great book, exactly what is was looking for. If you are seriously into SQL, you should get this one for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars my review, 20 Sep 2013
I started to browse it and found that it contains all stuff I want for this exam, it is a good learning book in general about this topic

28.59