on 1 May 2011
Visio covers such a large spectrum of drawing types, both measured and schematic, that any introductory book can only cover a few popular ones. This book uses flowcharts, organization charts and network diagrams as examples, which are probably the top three types of diagrams produced using Visio. Trying to distil the complexity of Visio into a simple guide for beginners is not an easy task, but this book achieves that aim admirably.
I guess that there are some people who just use Visio to draw pretty pictures, and this book will help them get the best out of it, but Visio comes into it its own when it is used for structured or data diagrams. This book leads you gently into this area, and, along with the downloadable sample documents, demonstrates why Visio is so powerful.
For those of you fortunate enough to have Visio 2010 Premium, there is even chapters on validation, including a useful introduction to Business Process Modeling Notation (BPMN) diagrams, and integration with SharePoint services.
The ShapeSheet and macros (Visual Basic for Applications) are introduced in the appendix, thus providing a segue way into intermediate use of Visio on the programming side.
An extremely thoughtful and useful bonus are the copious references to web resources for further information that enables you to explore most subjects in greater detail.
I would recommend this book to beginners, or even to current users of an earlier version of Visio because it introduces the new Visio 2010 features.
on 14 June 2011
This book has necessitated my first ever review on Amazon.
I've got it on the Kindle version and it does what it says. Guides you throught Visio 2010 step by step
It is pretty FAB for that especially on a Kindle!!

However there wasn't a voucher bound to the back of this book (I know...I've got the Kindle version and not paperback) but I was under the impression that Amazon or O'Reilly would have devised some way of sending it to me via e-mail.
There is a headed section in the book that says "How to Access Your Online Edition Hosted by Safari and on step 3 (within this section) further says "Enter your 24-character access code in the Coupon Code field under Step 1 etc with diagrames. Obviously I have no "24-character access code".

I got intouch with Amazon and this is what they said via e-mail:

"Hello,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Our technical team has investigated and confirmed, that the content "Microsoft® Visio® 2010 Step by Step (Step by Step (Microsoft))", does not contain any key to access the title.

If you're not able to use the item because of this problem, please also let us know if you would like a refund. If we refund the item, you will no longer have access to it.

Please visit the following link to provide the information we requested"

Maybe there is something I have missed but this is what I can report on it.
All in all its got a thumbs up from me bar the access key.
I will check if Kindle for PC has any options
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2012
Despite trying for 8 hours, seems like no 'practice exercises' are actually available from Oreilly. When they become available, I'll edit the 2-stars.
on 23 March 2013
As Visio 2010 is quite different to Visio 2003 I found this book to be a great reference guide,
I always keep it to hand in case I get stuck and have found the book to be useful if sometimes a little complicated.
on 8 November 2014
I found this Step by Step manual for to be an excellent way of coming up to speed with Microsoft Vision 2010. It comes with downloadable practice files and is very well written and illustrated. All this proved to be of very valuable assistance in my preparation for an important interview.
Highly recommended.

Chris Allen is a Hypnotherapist, Technical Author and writer with the following books available through Amazon:
Parallel Lifetimes
The Beam of Interest: Taken by Storm
Hypnotic Tales 2013: Some Light Some Dark
Call of the Void: The Strange Life and Times of a Confused Person: 1
on 6 January 2015
Book was a great buy - easy to understand, very practicable. Delivery was prompt and book was in good condition. Excellent purchase!
on 12 December 2015
it did what I expected it to do
on 9 September 2014
useful reference
on 15 January 2014
Book arrived as described in very good condition. I have not used it yet so I can not say how good it is
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse