on 1 August 2013
Don't waste your money on training sessions (only for PowerPoint training you could pay around £600 for 2 days). Just buy this book, some highlighters and have access to the software. Do the practice exercises at the end of each chapter. If you have small issues, google them on youtube. You will definitely find answers to your questions (if you have any, as long as this book is very much describing each steps in detail and there are very few errors in the Errata of the book).
on 11 January 2015
I cannot in my right mind recommend this book to anyone. Years ago I brought a Step-by-Step series book from Microsoft press and was somewhat satisfied but this here is simply beyond forgiveness. While the content structure looks appealing to the budding examination candidate the actual substance is very dried. The reader is leterally treated like a data input machine with instructions about executing commands given in bulleted sentences in numerical sequences. The reader/student is bombarded with these abstract commands and the instructions to execute them continuously coupled with explanation/introduction paragraphs here and there and after about 10 pages the reader is given a "practice task" which s/he is supposed to be able to perform (after internalising pages of abstract instructions like a robot) using files that has to be downloaded from a website. The tasks themselves are written along the same theme - plain and dried and bulleted, without accompanying pictures or anything which often leaves one in doubt of whether or not one has actually done the task properly. However pictures are included generously indeed elsewhere - mostly pictures of dialog boxes, often a few stacked on each others in the same diagram, and so far as I can tell none of them diagrams are annotated throughout the entire book! Thus all things considered the user will find himself having to make the effort to connect the diagrams with whatever litterature or bulleted instructions happened to be on the same pages as the pictures. I admit I did not attempt to be objective in this review for in my eyes there was no point, so my appology for that.
Verdict: not recommended
on 2 July 2012
I always find these Study Guides to be excellent from 2003 through to this 2010. They have all helped me pass the 2003, 2007 & now the 2010 exams so I can't fault them !!
on 21 July 2011
The Microsoft Press Study Guides are always useful to have around. They are simple, easy to understand and they will get you through the relevant exams. However, I am not impressed by the fact that they haven't included a CD. The MS Study Guide 2007,
was much better value for money as a CD was included with that version.

All in all, it's OK but it is possible to get through the exams without it.
on 14 March 2013
Excellent easy to follow guide with instructions on how to download the required exercises from the Microsoft Web Site. Very comprehensive.
on 18 April 2014
I'm very pleased with the content and handy size of this book (large enough, but not over-cumbersome considering it's nearly 700 pages long). The only reason I've given it four stars instead of five is because the illustrations (screen snapshots) lack clarity because they are a very light colour - well, they aren't colour at all actually but more various shades of grey. Not a major issue, however, as it's a practical guide and there are also step-by-step instructions alongside these, and most people will be using the book in tandem with the Office applications themselves anyway in order to do the exercises. Good value for money.

Update: You get a free copy of the ebook when you buy the hard copy. I've since downloaded this and the illustrations here are very sharp, and in colour, so all in all I'm very happy with this purchase!
on 2 February 2013
What I liked about this book is that you can download an 'Practice documents'. The book is written in a way that helps the student to actually have hands on practice, rather than learning 'pigeon' fashion.
I think it's fabulous.
on 3 December 2015
Nicely presented but I was hoping for more advanced exercises. Found that I already knew most of it from working with Microsoft Office regularly. It did not really improve my knowledge as I had hoped.
on 3 October 2014
very clear, very simple, easy-follow step by step guide and adequately detailed. I find the exercises engaging as well. Massive saving on a refresher course!
on 27 October 2014
WARNING -DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK. Otherwise be on your on head. I am totally disappointed with this book. I tried to get access to practice papers. They do not exist. There is a email address and access code which corrupts your computer; I ended up with a virus on my system. I tried the internet - everyone who has bought this book had the same problems. Unfortunately, I am unable to use it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse