5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!
Published on 13 Feb 2011 by Emilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Very wordy
I found this book rather disappointing. It's very wordy, but this is because the instructions are laid out in a great deal of detail, which you follow virtually `parrot fashion', and I found that you constantly needed to stop to think why you were doing something.

In fairness, the title does say "step by step", and it is certainly that.

But I would...
Published on 2 Sep 2012 by R. Perkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, 13 Feb 2011
This review is from: Microsoft® Expression® Web 4 Step by Step (Step by Step Developer) (Paperback)
For almost 20 yrs I've been an environmentalist; all I know about computers had been just cut n paste, emails, and where on the monitor was the menu bar, stutus bar and the like.....Till I decided to open a web site with some ideas that I had. I did some research on the web on opening a web site (professionally). I eventually arrived at dreamweaver and expression web 4. I bought both of those books but as a student, I got the expression studio 4 software free from microsoft so I went with the expression web 4.
In 2 weeks, of reading the book and practicing the execises in this book even my language has changed. I now have a broad idea about the way the internet works and the good thing U DONT EVEN AV TO LEARN CODE. This book is like a "wiser man leading a learner to cross the major motor way". It is a very good book for people who want a jump start to life as a web developer and designer.................
From this book u can then move on to specialist topics like ASP.NET and AJAX, jQUERY and PHP (eventhough the book delt with these subjects well as a beginner; anyway U couldnt carry the book if it had to delve into all those) and the like
But by the end of this book, (IF U REALLY WANT TO OPEN A WEBSITE and MANAGE IT PROPERLY)Your website will be up and running and u dont even have to do any of those specialist topics I mentioned above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Jun 2014
As a newcomer to website management and the new software this is an excellent guide to setting up a website.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't download files, 3 Jan 2014
There are files you can download to go with each chapter. Without them the book is useless. These files are no longer available. What a rip-off

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the novice., 31 Jan 2013
I bought this book as a means to learn the Microsoft product and how to do web development (as an IT professional), but it assumes an existing knowledge of web development and doesn't really show you how to build a web site from scratch. It does show how you how to amend an existing site (which is how the training course works), so I suppose that one could proceed on the basis of buying in a template, many of which are available.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very wordy, 2 Sep 2012
R. Perkins - See all my reviews

In fairness, the title does say "step by step", and it is certainly that.

But I would have preferred a book which explained rather than just giving detailed instructions.

If you are looking for a very simple step by step guide, then this may be it, but if you are looking for explanations and a reference book then I do not think this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Expression Web 4 Step by Step (book), 20 Aug 2011
Easy to read and provide me with most of information that I need for my websites. I recommend this book to anyone who is into designing webpages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep Joy., 18 Sep 2014
Bought the book. Started to work with it on the Microsoft product then found that Microsoft had ceased to support it. Deep Joy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Covers Expression 4 but not SP2, 20 Jan 2012
Generally logically laid out, good for persons new to Expression Web 4. Use examples to work through book. Not so good as a reference book. It does not cover the important changes which were made in Service Pack 2. Its a shame this could not be added to the online access

1.0 out of 5 stars Pants, 29 Dec 2011
Joseph Lally (Airdrie, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Probably the WORST technical manual I have ever purchased. Do NOT buy this before reading the EXTENSIVE errata and then deciding whether you can be bothered. Buy any other author's book.

Microsoft® Expression® Web 4 Step by Step (Step by Step Developer)