Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 July 2009
One of the first books to be published after new release of SQL Server is always William R. Stanek's Administrator's Pocket Consultant.

I am not sure why they have persisted with the "Pocket" tag, this books is nearly 700 pages of pretty small type and weighs in the region of 1KG (unfortunately I don't have scales that will weigh it accurately!). So for the weak or visually impaired this may not be the book for you!

With SQL Server being such a large and complicated conglomeration of software a single book, even limited to administration, may not go into enough detail for some people, for example Powershell is covered in just over 3 pages and for a book aimed at administrators I would have expected more. Anyone requiring more than an overview may want look at several more targeted books. This doesn't mean that the book doesn't have it's audience! There are some excellent tips and advice within it's pages. People new to SQL Server or moving from other database systems may find this a very handy reference, especially if they prefer something to hand rather than trawling online.
on 23 September 2010
I'm on a fast track to SQL server certification, and this book is a boon. It has so much detail, and concisely presented. Although titled 'pocket', you would need a rather hefty pocket, but is small enough for a rucksack or briefcase, and I read it regularly on the train to work.
Excellent handbook for anyone managing SQL Server, whether at DBA level, or a beginner.
on 25 October 2011
I can say this book is very good to understand all around administrator role. This book help me a lot for my first sql admin role. It guide me through all scenario I need in my role. There is not book with 100% but I will rate this book 90%.
I am very satisfy with it chapters and others environmment it covers.
Thank you very much for your time as well. Because of this book, I get my job done and my boss think I got an experience in sql before.
ISBN9780735627116
on 5 February 2012
If there is one book to buy to understand SQL Server 2008, this is it!

I have this on the desk at work and already it has helped me sort out problems with db configurations in my role in support of customers - it is easy to dip into when I want to get a handle on a feature of SQL Server, and has helped me to understand funtionality & features quickly, indispensible!
on 28 February 2016
Great quality item delivered on time
on 10 December 2015