Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 August 2010
I must admit that I'm a fan of these Plain & Simple books, having previously bought the ones on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7, so I knew what to expect: lots of information on every conceivable aspect of the subject, not in great depth, but enough to get you on the right road, after which your own intelligence (or other, more techie books) can take over. The book makes extensive use of screen dumps, so you know exactly what should be appearing on your monitor, and each step of the process is clearly illustrated, with pointers and cross-references to the buttons you should be pressing. There are lots of "Tips" and "Cautions" and "Try This's" to help you on your way. I like the use of colour, which helps to break up the pages into manageable chunks. The book includes all the main Office 2010 components: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, OneNote and Access. Naturally, being a Microsoft publication, it's a "can do" without any "can't do's", but that suits me fine: if I want to know about any shortcomings, I can go and scan the many Forums on the subject. My advice is: get this book first. It's a splendid introduction to Office 2010, and may be the only book you'll ever need.
on 18 August 2010
As a silver surfer I'm no computer expert so this book is of great assisatnce in getting the best out of Office 2010. It's very well laid out in a logical order & is very easy to understand. I can strongly recommend it.
Microsoft Office 2010 Plain and Simple (Plain & Simple)
I bought this book which covers Access, Excel, OneNote, Outlook, Powerpoint, Publisher and Word for my sister who is new to Office 2010. I note the widely polarised views on this page.

This "Plain and Simple" guide by Microsoft has an overall section on Office 2010 and is then broken down into separate sections for Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook etc. The pages on each respective element are colour coded and make good use of clear screen shots as well as step by step instructions to explain various activities.

I have been using Office in various iterations for over 15 years and have still come across a lot of useful things that I didn't know in this book. My perception is that this book is useful for people who are new to Office (2010) or those migrating from a much older version. Yes, it does deal with the basics which, arguably, have remained a constant, but it also develops the themes to address much more advanced functions such as pivot tables in Excel, working with special content in Word etc. The way the book is laid out makes it a useful "memory jogger" even for those that consider themselves beyond the novice stage - I have often struggled to remember a feature I haven't used for a while in Powerpoint for example.

In summary, this book delivers what it sets out to, namely, being a "Plain and Simple" guide to Office 2010, it is well constructed, the page layout and graphics are good and it is easily navigable. I personally cannot identify with some of the negative reviews on this page. In the context of its intended audience it is therefore recommended.
on 28 January 2011
I have just upgraded to this version, as a lot has changed I purchased this book and it is excellent, easy clear instructions, I would recommend this to anyone.
on 17 January 2011
Fairly good book, but has no specific instructions on how to go about certain tasks (Excel & Word). Fairly short on explanation of the Ribbon tasks, especially applicable to those of us used to 2003+ versions where "proper folders" are used.
I would recommend looking through it before laying out the money!
on 15 July 2011
This book is great for the beginner, and for some of us who are new to MS Office 2010. The book explains the majority of tasks you are likely to encounter in an office environment, the book explains tasks with the aid of pictures and step by step guides that are very easy to follow.
on 18 October 2011
Microsoft Office 2010 Plain and Simple (Plain & Simple) Clear, easy to follow, this book has helped me convert form earlier versions of MS Office. Recommended
on 6 May 2012
Good book easy to understand even by me.Its a lot of information to absorb so take it slowly and it will pay dividends
on 22 April 2011
The title of this book says it all. A simple guide to the latest version of Office. Recommended!
on 23 September 2010
So far I find that this product not only updtes me with latest version but updates on my previous use and knowledge vey well