Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 March 2010
The Plain and simple for windows 7 is well presented and goes into quite a bit of detail and I knew what to expect as I have the similar version for Windows XP. Including the pages falling out after much use.
If, however, you are new to computers or like me not that much into the IT business then you may find it worthwhile to add an additional book to get started with windows 7. I can recommend the Easy Microsoft Windows 7 (See it done. do it yourself.) book. This is simple and very well presented, its basic but will quickly get you started.
Then add or purchase later the Plain and Simple book when you want to dig that bit further.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 January 2010
I have recently had to replace my desktop, the replacement coming with Windows 7 rather than Vista. I had bought the Vista book from the same authors so expected a comprehensively written user handbook written in Englaish rather than PC speak. I am delighted with the book as is my daughter who I bought a copy for as well. Best kept by your PC so that you can read-up on any area of concern or problem, relating directly to your keyboard and screen. The book covers all aspects of '7' and, whilst being an easy read, provides soluitions to many problems, perceived or otherwise.
0Comment|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2011
On the plus side, well presented book and arranged in useful order. Helpful for newcomers to Win 7. Does deal with most of the functions in win 7 and the colour pages and layout is good.

On the negative points, the book is not too helpful when it comes to explaining Internet Explorer (I know this is a win 7 book, but a lot of folk will be using it with IE) and the difference between 32 and 64 bit versions. This caused me a lot of phone calls, as my Norton Internet security would not operate all its features unless the 32-bit version was selected.
Finally, as said by other reviewers the book is poorly bound in landscape format and the pages easily separate from the binding even if you leave it open on the desk overnight- not good and spoils and otherwise comprehensive guide. All considered a good book if you take great care in handling it.
on 13 December 2009
Well written, easy to use, good value for money.a must for those new to Windows 7
on 7 February 2010
I have been used to using windows XP and found this book really useful to learn about all the new things in Windows 7 really clear and easy to understand.
on 1 May 2010
Excellent, well written and fully illustrated book which lets one clearly understand the everyday workings of Windows 7. No hesitation in recommending it, particularly to those of us who are somewhat up in years.
on 19 May 2011
"PLAIN & SIMPLE" it is NOT!!
The font used in the windows screens is far too small and there are windows missed out of many of the processes making it impossible to follow the logic of the advice.
SEE IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!
on 19 May 2010
THIS HAS TO BE THE BEST BOOK OUT FOR PEOPLE UNKNOWN TO WHAT WINDOWS 7 CAN DO, IT'S ILLUSTRATIONS ARE SO EASY TO FOLLOW FOR YOUNG AND OLD ALIKE.
IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT IT YET THEN GET IT, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.
ITS SIMPLY SO EASY TO FOLLOW
Unless you are writing DOS commands or HTML, books about computers need to show what is on the screen and not rely on pages of text. This book provides loads of images and even screen shots of DOS commands. As I'd mispent my time playing around with Windows 95, 98 and XP Pro over the years, there was a bit of me that didn't expect to learn much; I was wrong.
on 20 January 2010
the title says it all ,this comes from 78 year old with a learning problem.
first class. Thank you