4.0 out of 5 stars Frightening read, great value and included exams priceless
I purchased this really to bone up on SQL Server 2008. I have developed versions 6.5 through to 2005 (with some 2008), so wasn't 100% about whether I would take the exam or not before reading.

Published on 22 Dec 2009 by S. Stevens

2.0 out of 5 stars A very basic book
After reading this book i didn't felt prepare to take the exam. The thing i liked most was the discount for the exam.
Published on 10 April 2012 by Rui Ribeiro

4.0 out of 5 stars Frightening read, great value and included exams priceless, 22 Dec 2009
S. Stevens "Gadget Freak and Avid Chef" (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-433): Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 - Database Development (Certification) (Hardcover)

One thing I will say, is that books written by multiple authors never seem to have that flowing consistency as with single author books, but I guess with technical books like this one, its needed. Having said that, I feel in one way or another the book definitely covered everything needed... Sometimes in great detail, other times just a mention so you can go away and do your own research, but everything none-the-less.

Given the depth of knowledge you need to take the exam, just bear in mind you wont get all the knowledge you need from the book, you will need to go away and research some areas more thoroughly (full syntatx and different usage / options of some statements etc). I say this, because some people think you can read the book and take the exam next day, which would be wrong. You do need some real world experience of using SQL Server, and the book states this from the start.

In addition to the book, you also get an electronic version on CD, trial version of the software in case you don't have SQL Server 2008, and trial exams. The trial exams were also invaluable, as reading the book gives you the areas you need to learn, and the exams tell you how you need to learn them - for example, some of the questions that ask you to put a list of statements in the right order for example (with extra statements not required), use different ways of writing SQL than I am used to (for example it will just say join, instead of inner, left etc, or will sometimes seem ambiguous, so you must know the full sytax of statements including any abbreviations, default or optional keywords etc).

I certainly found there was a lot to learn, but thats good. If I'd come away thinking I could take the exam the next day, I would have failed and therefore been ripped off, so I am glad! I am now going to try the exam (have it booked for mid jan, 2010), and the book also comes with a 15% voucher off the exam which also helped greatly.

4.0 out of 5 stars The main book for exam 70-433, but a few small niggles, 19 Mar 2010
Mr BD - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
First of all, this is the book you need for taking the SS 2008 Database Development exam, but it doesn't tell you everything. It skips over most areas briefly - just enough detail to give an understanding of the aspect, but more work is required to ensure you're good enough for the exam. It should be considered the central book that guides you around the exam subject. The other book I use currently is Microsoft's "Programming Microsoft SQL Server 2008".

If you don't have a decent amount of experience with SQL Server then you may well struggle - this isn't a book to teach someone new to the software.

There are a few typos, although nothing serious - just annoying. Also, in a couple of areas it will mention a command or property and not explain it until later. Another reason you wouldn't want to learn the subject from scratch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading for beginner & Intermediate Database Developers, 30 Jun 2011
This book is a 2 in one product as it covers aspects from practical point of view and also from MCTS 70-433 Exam point of view. It is a very good guide for best practices and provides practical coding samples of how to use the SQL Server 2008 database. It comes with 200 practices questions. I really like the book because of the fact that I needed to understand the practical use of SQLserver 2008 for my work purposes and also want to earn a certification. THis is essential kit for all beginner and Intermediate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book to prepare for the exam, 25 July 2010
I passed 70-433 using only this book and Transcender (and SQL Server 2008 plus BOL of course!). I wanted to keep up with new developments because in my job I'm still on SQL 2000. There was a lot to learn and it took me several months reading and practising in the evenings and weekends to work through the book. In my opinion this book is better written and better organised than others in the series; this time I did not buy a second book to round out the material.
I have always been disappointed with the practice tests in the kits and after reading the reviews I decided not even to bother installing it this time.
As usual the CD is bound in the middle of the chapter review section, making it unpleasant to use the index

4.0 out of 5 stars Good refreshing point, 14 Feb 2012
Mr. D. Winn "D Winn" (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I brought this about a month ago and have the exam coming up next month...

This book is really good if you already have a bit of experience and want to refresh your memory of the syntax and the rules.

I have also taken a practise certification exam and realised that quite a few topics covered in the exam are NOT covered in the book, eg. creating a trace, cloning a session etc or that the book doesnt cover these sections in much detail.

I have found, however, that it covers XML quite extensively which I am pleased with.

I have found that reading through this book and then looking at the MSDN website for complete understanding and also practising coding in SQL Server has benefited me more...just hope I can pass the exam :-D

Overall, I am happy with the purchase and it has taught me a lot already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says: prepare you for the exam., 7 Dec 2010
In addition to the experience I gained using SQL Server and the SQL Server Online Help and other on line ressources, this book was the only one I needed to read to pass the exam. But don't expect the book to be a good reference guide in your day-to-day life working with SQL Server!

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting trained, 4 Jun 2013
I have used this type of book before to prepare for previous exams so knew what to expect. Excellent, with CD and in excellent condition.

2.0 out of 5 stars A very basic book, 10 April 2012
Rui Ribeiro "RRIB" (Portugal) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars good exam prep, 3 Aug 2010
As always with these training kits, some chapters are better than others. Overall, a good introduction to the subject and good preparation for the exam.