4.0 out of 5 stars Can prepare to the exam but not happy with SSRS chapters
Published on 4 Jan. 2011 by domsuw

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much reading, not enough doing
I'm reasonably happy with the study guide. It splits up into neat lessons, each one ending in an exercise

Published on 17 May 2009 by FJ McManus

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much reading, not enough doing, 17 May 2009
FJ McManus (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-448): Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance (Self-Paced Training Kits) (Paperback)

However, I (like most) learn by doing, not by reading. The lessons, instead of ending in step-by-step exercices, should end in actual mini-tests so as to force the user to work out how to achieve the results. Plus the lessons should be broken up with step-by-steps so the user can see what is being explained.

Getting 13 pages of text, followed by an exercise where you simply do what you're told with no need to understand what is happening is really pointless. I often found myself daydreaming while reading, taking nothing in.

Ironically, the only occasions I really felt I'd learned something is when I followed a step-by-step guide, it didn't work and I had to uncover what mistake the author had made to understand why it didn't work.

I haven't got as far as trying the practice tests so can't review them yet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 26 May 2010
Simon (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Lots of errors in this book most of them are small, but there are a couple of beauties. One cost me about 2 hours to sort out, which is strangely, not such a bad thing in a way, as i had to work out what exactly had gone wrong. I learned a lot from that alone, and it was a mistake by the author. I think also the book has had some copying and pasting from maybe the previous 2005 book, as a few of the steps are out of sink, and not what you would expect, especially after spotting that some of the screen shots are not what i was looking at.

I would recommend it though, however it can be a tough read at times. Mistakes aside it covers everything and helps a great deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can prepare to the exam but not happy with SSRS chapters, 4 Jan. 2011
It took me 5 weeks to read this book and follow the exercised etc. Finally finished this all few days ago. This book is not error free still I believe it can prepare you for the exam. Especially the CD with example TESTs. The SSIS and SSAS sections are done with proper care and are clear to understand. The SSRS section has a lot of mistakes especially in the most important parts like EXERCISES. The SSRS section does not have clear/descriptive and useful EXAM TIPs as SSIS and SSAS sections do.
It is sometimes really difficult to get where the SSRS exercise is leading to.
On few occasions it took me hours to figure out what was wrong in the SSRS step by step exercise before I discovered an error.

All sections SSIS SSAS and SSRS were writen by different authors/experts and then just combined into one book. You can feel the proficency difference when jumping from one section to another.
If SSRS section was done properly I could give this book 5/5. but since I'm not happy with the SSRS section I can give this book only 3.5 / 5 , maybe 4/5 for the good testing tool included on CD.

2.0 out of 5 stars No evaluation copy of SQL 2008 included, 10 July 2013
Companion CD only came with the book. Main reason for buying was the evaluation edtion - very difficult to do without a full version of SQL 2008 - can't seem to be able to purchase the developer edition.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nahhh, should've gone for something else, 13 Dec. 2012
Dislikes: It's just trying to get you through the exam, struggle to understand the relevance of the exercises.
Put me off doing the exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with it as it exceeds my expectations, 6 May 2010
Coolruler (Hove, England) - See all my reviews
So far I have to say that this book does what it says in adverts I saw of it. In fact I have found it very useful in my exam preparation and is an easy read.

The Labs seem pretty good too.

I would definitely recommend this book