4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book
I have to get up to speed fast with Analysis Services and I believe this book delivers. It takes you through Analysis Services literly Step by step with very clear instructions, explanations, and layout. I was also pretty impressed with the lack of typos and silly errors which can make life very difficult if you are a bit dodgy regarding the subject matter.
I didn't...
Published on 9 Feb 2011 by Mr. Gerry Doyle

2.0 out of 5 stars like wading through treacle
Published 11 months ago by a reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 9 Feb 2011
Mr. Gerry Doyle (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Analysis Services Step by Step (Paperback)
I didn't give it 5 stars because I would have liked it to use color where appropriate (diagrams anyway) to improve the readability. I also find all the Analysis Services books tend to use the same Database (AdventureWorks) and this doesn't really reflect the real world or at least the Databases I have to work with on a daily basis :). However given the price and the quality of the content I have no hesitation in recommending this book as a buy especially for someone just dipping their toes in the water.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good starter book for Analysis Servivces, 23 Feb 2011
I enjoyed this book and was able to work through it very quickly. I liked the fact that all the chapters had independent starter projects so you do not have to work through it in chapter order if you do not want to. I would agree with the other review, in that I did not find many errors, it was very clear and easy to understand. There is not much MDX coverage in this book, but the MDX Step By Step book covers that.

2.0 out of 5 stars like wading through treacle, 29 July 2013
I've used SSAS and written MDX queries for about a year now. I have a good understanding of SSAS but I bought this book to get a more rounded knowledge rather than just understanding the features that we use at my current role. The problem is, this book is dismal - and I don't say that lightly. Seriously, the explanation of measures and dimensions was hard to follow even though I understand them, and if you don't get these then the rest of SSAS will remain a mystery to you. I don't understand why Microsoft are using an external consultancy to write their SSAS books - it's Microsoft's technology! This is one of those books that you know the author wrote and thought he did a good job, but he never passed the draft to someone else and said "hey, does this make sense?".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to SSAS !, 5 Feb 2013
Andre (TURRIFF, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It is very rare for me to read an IT book from cover to cover - I always have great intentions but somewhere along the line I lose interest and go back to the playstation - this is one of the few I have finished.

You'll need a working knowledge of SQL server before using this book but other than that you're good to go.

It doesn't really cover design of Data warehouses so much so you'll need to read this and other books too.

However I have found that I am already doing Cubes at work and after having read this have a very good usable knowledge of SSAS 2008.

The final chapter on performance is pretty weak - but that must be a huge topic.

I'd say if you read this and the data warehouse toolkit you could put OLAP on your CV and not be lying - recommended.

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Analysis Services Step by Step
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Analysis Services Step by Step by Scott Cameron (Paperback - 18 April 2009)
Used & New from: £14.39