4.0 out of 5 stars Good book with lot of insight..
I have started this book opposed to the not so good kind reviews and wanted to see what is wrong with it.

This is not a book for prosfessional who are well versed in SQL Server internals and want to sharpen their knowledge. We need to remember focus of this book and it is to make you comfortable with SQL Server 70-432 exam.

Firstly you need to keep...
Published on 5 Feb. 2012 by chander bhushan

1.0 out of 5 stars Fundamental errors
As the previous reviewer notes, there are basic errors in the number of instances reported, there are typos in the value ranges of the datatypes, the review questions refer to material not covered in the chapter, and to cap it all off one of the practise test questions says that the information for the question is covered in Chapter 2 lessons 2, 3 & 4... there are only 3...
Published on 8 Jun. 2009 by Paul Anderson

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not the book to get you through the exam!, 8 Feb. 2012
This review is from: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-432): Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 - Implementation and Maintenance: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 - Implementation and Maintenance Book/CD Package (PRO-Certification) (Paperback)
I have been using SQL 2005 for around 4 years and 2008 for around 6 months and thought I'd buy the "official" Microsoft version of the 2008 book to help get me through the exam. I read through the book and was passing all of the end of chapter lessons and thought all was going quite well, that was until I took one of the mock exams provided with this book (MeasureUp exams), I got about 45% and was quite shocked that I was being asked questions on areas that weren't even touched upon in the book. The mock exams give explanations to answers and reference the chapter in the book that supposedly cover the topic, I checked a couple of these and the chapter it was pointing to didn't make mention of the area that was being asked about, another question pointed me to a lesson that didn't even exist in the book and another answer it gave I knew for an absolute fact was just plain wrong!!

My confidence in this book was massively shaken so I decided to buy the Transcender exams as I remembered that these followed the format of the exams that I had taken around 10 years ago to become MCSE certified... big mistake, I was getting 90%-100% with these exams so decided to book an exam, which I took yesterday... FAIL miserably with just 52.5%!!

But now I know a few things... this book is definitely not going to get you through the exam... but I would say that the MeasureUp mock exams follow the format of the actual exam a hell of a lot more closely than the Trancenders.

I am shocked that Microsoft add their name to this book as a book to get you through the exam!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book with lot of insight.., 5 Feb. 2012

Firstly you need to keep in mind your focus, i.e. to target 70-432 exams, you always have approach to books online in case you need to develop on your existing knowledge.

Good Points:
1. Very good coverage of topics, precise and too the point and keeps you focused.
2. Book is Divided into Chapters, Chapters into Lessons which gives you short targets and sense of achievement as soon as one unit is complete.
3. Practice exams covers exam thoroughly [ don't take my words on this and don't limit yourself to this one, try transcender or other certification kit too]
4. Exam Tips, Questions, Lesson Review, Chapter Review are great.
5. 15% Exam off voucher is a treat and lowers the cost of book further [ or exam, whichever way].
6. Very competitively priced at Amazon.

Not so good points:
1. Some topics, as mentioned in other reviews, are not covered. Which means you have an opportunity to look into SAL Books online or SQL Blogs to clarify.
2. Erros on some pages however this has been covered in Microsoft Learning site and a full confirmed errata is published for benefit of readers.

Point to remember:
1. No book is perfect, I have checked other books and pity that they were written with incorrect commands even and in some cases with Beta version SQL Server 2008.
2. Clearing Exam should be first objective with good understanding overall. Later you can focus on inlife skills that no book could offer.
3. Make your own perspective because it is you who is impacted.

I would like to end my review with words that I would happily recommend this book to individuals who have open view and dont treat book as only medium of knowledge in current time. Refer to blogs, forums and SQL Server Books Online too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Errors have been corrected on the (printed) edition I received, 27 April 2012
P. Shell (Guernsey, UK) - See all my reviews
Just finished this book about 2 weeks ago in preparation for sitting 70-432. The first thing I did after receiving the book (as with any other MS Press book) was to download the errata for it from o'reilly publishing. [...] What I found is that (mostt of) the original mistakes other reviewers have mentioned have now been corrected. The caveat to this is that they seem to have made corrections on the printed version only, if you like to study from the pdf on the companion CD then just be warned as that didn't look like it had been updated.
With regards to the content of the book, I think it all helps. If you can watch the TrainSignal or CBT Nuggets videos prior to reading this book as I did, then I think you'll get more out of the book than perhaps just diving straight in. You may find yourself knee deep in new terminology and I think watching the videos first at least helped introduce some of the new stuff.
I also believe the 70-432 exam has been updated to reflect the R2 updates which this book won't help you out much with.
Cheers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 9 Nov. 2012
The shortcomings of this book have been well described, correctly, by others.

I thought the books saving grace, however, would be the practice questions, even though the question answers reference incorrect or non-existent book chapters. So I dutifully spent ages making sure I could do them pretty well. Sadly it turns out they weren't much use either. I have just taken the test and I don't think the practice material covered even a fraction of the topics the real exam came up with.

Managed to just scrape a pass, so I have given it a couple of stars as I must have picked up something from it along the way ..

Be aware that this exam is being discontinued in July 2013 according to Microsoft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the new 2008 DBA, 28 Feb. 2015
Rob Gilbert (Stalbridge Dorset) - See all my reviews
This book and author come in for a lot of stick for the mistakes in this book and there are few that can be frustrating, but hey if you want an easy life and cannot work through a problem you should not aspire to be a DBA, plus if your so bloody clever you should spot the mistakes and know what to do. I am not so clever and working out the mistakes and applying what the author clearly intended was a great learning experience. I found it an enjoyable read and exercise working through the whole book. It will not get you through the exam on its own, the book and author never pretend otherwise. As a new DBA it taught me a lot and I am glad I completed all the chapters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Self Paced Training, 1 May 2012
Some reviewers gave out about the "stories" at the start of each chapter. I found them useful as it gave you an idea of how costly one of your mistakes could be in the real world.

There are some errors in the examples but if you can't figure how to correct them, you shouldn't be reading the book.

Over all pretty good book, watch out for chapter 9 and 11 - heavy going but probably the most important chapters in the book.

I would advise reading the book twice before attempting the exam.

2.0 out of 5 stars Riddled With Errors, 2 Nov. 2012
P Stratford (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
I can't put it any better than a previous reviewer, who points out that Mike Hotek seems far more concerned with telling us how great he is than getting the basic facts right. This book has lots of basic, factual erors, and yet as the only official printed material for preparation for the associated exam I'm forced to study from it and second-guess lots of things it says, undermining my confidence that it will actually help me pass the exam at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useful for the exam, rubbish as a manual to learn, 23 Feb. 2011
C. O'Dwyer (uk) - See all my reviews
Poor content leaving out important facts, worse than Mike Hotek's Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Step by Step. You will not learn from reading this book, you will spend time reading and looking elsewhere for answers. Useful for exam questions and examples which Mike Hotek's book lacks.

3.0 out of 5 stars This book, 24 May 2012
There are typos in the book and coding errors. I e-mailed the e-mail address in the book with questions and they took a long time responding. Around four weeks. It's a good book to read and you can learn lots of things. It's a shame there is no real immediate support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, 8 Sept. 2010
This is a very well organised book and is easy to follow. The book covers only enough level of detail to get you through the exam but in doing so it gives a very good introduction to all the features available within the product.