on 7 April 2009
This book contains lots of errors!
It's vital that you first correct them using the published errata list on MS Support. But even after correcting my copy, I spotted lots more. (180 day tombstone?)
MS Press urgently needs to invest in better proofreaders!
I wonder if they even bothered, because some practices can't be even be completed because of wrong instructions.
I have some years of experience with Windows Server, so to me, these errors are merely an annoyance, but I can imagine that the errors can hinder the learning experience for a newbie.

Apart from the errors, this book is the joint work of different authors and this shows.
Some content is even duplicated and sometimes the authors contradict each other.
The chapters in the first part (Dan Holme) are easy to understand and well written, but when touching the more complex stuff (AD RMS, AD CS), the difficulty level is very high. IMHO, these chapters are not well written. It's far from an introduction to these advanced topics (what you would expect from this types of book).
I suspect that it's a copy/paste summary of a very complex topic crammed into one 50 page chapter.

Positive: Practices are relevant. Some content is actually very useful in the trenches.

All in all, I would not recommend this book for someone who learns about Windows Server for the first time. For an experienced IT Pro, I guess the book will prepare you for the exam, but there might be better instructional books that were actually proofread.
on 30 August 2011
This is a well written book that takes the reader through the latest version of Active Directory Windows Server - 2008 R2. There are many similar books, but most seem to concentrate on the Server 2008 product. Microsoft have now uprated the exams to 2008 R2, and you will fail if you study with the outdated books, as much of the material needed isn't covered.

This volume is easy to read, and comes in bite-sized chunks. The next best thing to classroom training.
on 3 February 2012
We recently installed a set of new servers at for testing and development a reporting application that integrates into MS AD.
Having never installed or used MSAD as an administrator previously, I found this book and decided to give it a try.

At 1000 pages, Configuring Windows Server® 2008 Active Directory was certainly comprehensive!
For me the book was perfect, given that it introduces the concepts and then walks the reader through an actual installation and set-up. The book is actually an exam preparation guide, and I didn't intend doing the exam, but armed with the book I think that maybe I should now!

From chapter one you are involved in building your first domain, and getting stuck in to creating users and groups (all very useful for our OBIEE 11g integration).

This book did have the potential to just be a standard study text, but we are treated throughout to Dan Holme's `Real World' extracts. These give great feedback about what happened on real projects, and helps to make sure you learn from Dans vast experience.

Thanks to the book we have a great working LDAP, easy to manage, and integrating well with OBIEE 11g. If I need to undertake some of the more complex tasks such as digital rights management and replication then I will be turning back to the book.
on 6 September 2012
Bought this book the help me prepare for my 70-640 exam, I found the book very informative and helpful as long as you can set-up a lab so you can follow along with the tutorials. The way I prepared for the exam was to use video training and labs, then use practice tests, any areas I was weak on I went through the book until I fully understood the concept, worked really well as I aced the exam with the help of this book.
on 7 July 2010
This book would be great for experienced administrators and those familiar with the utilities and tools used. Not for newbies though.

it is not however anything more than refernce.

there are links under each question when reviewing the practice exams showing you where it is referenced in the book and these dont quite tie up.

for example you will not find a single sentence in this book about role seperation of AD-CS CA's but the disc thinks it is in one of the lessons, i can asure you it is not. there are many others as well. it also spends alot of time not explaining things in the lessons. you get told to do something but not why you are doing it (cmd line and powershell utilities for example).

not recommended for anyone who actually wants to pass the exam with relevant knowledge and be able to say they know the subject rather than just pass the exam and spend the next 2 years refering back to the book.
on 9 July 2010
First of all I will like to thanks Amazon.co.uk for their great service. The cost of this book (include postage) is cheaper than Amazon.com and takes less than 2 weeks to deliver to my doorstep. Whereas Amazon.com would take at least 3 months to deliver to Australia. I received the book on the specified delivery date. Awesome!

I am a newbie to AD, but have read MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Book/CD Package (PRO-Certification).

My aim is to take the exam with this book. I am now on Chapter 7, so far able to understand and complete the exercises. Hopefully I will get through the later chapters as smoothly. Wish me luck!
on 7 April 2015
So I've read through most of the book and and so far consider it an OK read. I would recommend you have at least Network+ knowledge before getting the book as it assumes you already have some foundation knowledge of servers and networks.

But BE WARNED there are some serious mistake in the book that could cause you to fail your exam or even mess up a working network. Example right at the beginning is: "Server Core supports the server role Active Directory Certificate Services" and then a few pages along " Active Directory Certificate Services is not supported on Server Core, so you must reinstall the server with the full installation of Windows Server 2008 R2"
on 11 December 2011
Has very useful information. It is an excellent book for preparing the MCTS exam as it has real world examples of setting up Active Directories, Group Policies, general commands on Powershell and much more. It has all the information you need for understanding Windows Server 2008 and AD environments.
on 22 November 2010
Microsoft have changed the exam recently to include content that covers the latest Windows Server 2008 R2 features. I'm not sure if this book covers this information since it was published before the exam changes, but I'm guessing not. Perhaps better to wait for a later edition.
on 12 January 2014
The book contains everything needed for the exam, and the additional resources are of great benefit. I'm really glad they included a .pdf book as it fits in with my busy lifestyle...