4.0 out of 5 stars If you have to do the exam this is your first choice
good book, maybe could be better if they introduce more the chapter focus but as I said the first choice if you have to take the 70-642 exam
Published on 20 Jan 2010 by Marino Conea

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough by itself to pass the exam.
Published on 19 Sep 2010 by L Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough by itself to pass the exam., 19 Sep 2010
L Roberts "lwsrbrts" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows ServerŪ 2008 Network Infrastructure (PRO-Certification) (Hardcover)
While the book may be a good starting point to cover off the main topics that are covered in the exam, I can't help thinking it's lacking the same kind of in-depth approach that the 70-640 book had. The book starts out well and goes in to detail about IP and subnetting but after chapter 5 of the 12 in the book, it seems that the authors just lose interest in teaching you anything useful and just write down the steps you need to follow for wizard configurations.

Lesson 2 of chapter 8 had me tearing my hair out wondering why the "Computer" I had set up would not validate the DHCP Network Access Protection which is configured during the lab. I completed the lab 4 or 5 times, each with the same result: the "Computer" I had set up would not pass validation. Needless to say, after much digging I discovered that Windows Server 2008 itself does not include the System Health Agent required to validate against a DHCP NAP server but the book only mentions needing a "Computer" called BOSTON. Given that all of the previous labs were done on a computer called BOSTON that has Windows Server 2008 installed on it, it was a fairly safe assumption to use Windows Server 2008 again for this lab. Don't do what I did, instead use a trial of Windows 7 or Vista as the computer called BOSTON.

Having taken and passed the 70-640 recently, I know what kind of questions to expect from the 70-642 exam and I'm certain they will be much more complicated than anything included in the book or the practice test CD that comes with the book. My recommendation is to buy some practice tests online and test yourself against those, not the content of this book.

All in all it's good subject matter to get you thinking but certainly not enough by itself for you to pass the exam straight out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very informative for the workplace, 8 Sep 2010
O. Dalton (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a good bible for events in the workplace.However the questions on the practise exams resembled none of what I actually got in the real exam. I failed.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you have to do the exam this is your first choice, 20 Jan 2010
Marino Conea (italy) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 18 July 2010
Mr. R. D. Stone (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The book arrived in perfect condition, CD & voucher both intact.

Many thanks indeed!