Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 August 2009
I brought this book about a week ago as like many others I transferred from office 2002 to find it had all completely change and I didn't know where anything was.
The book is designed to lead you step by step through all the tasks you are most likely to need in Word. However each chapter is self contained so it's quite easy to skip to the parts you want. You also get a cd with the practice files on it required for the exercises; however it wasn't as easy to install as it said it was and I had to locate the files manually to get it to run. The exercises are quite detailed and there are illustrations along the way to help you but you can still make mistakes.
The authors are American so again language can be a difficulty for example they don't say full stop they say a period. Oh course I read "press the F3 key and then type a period" which I did, not press F3 and then type a full stop, which they meant. Also on chapter 3 the instructions for putting tab stops on the ruler are all in inches. I couldn't find inches on my version, mine are all in cms. Had a look on Microsoft knowledge base and apparently you can't change them to inches the rulers are displayed in cms. So again you just have to convert the measurements in your head or guess.
With the flaws I would still recommend this book as it has taught me where everything is and I'm already finding it so much easier to work in the 07 version of word. With that said I'm sure there are easier books then this one that can teach you what you want to know, so I would suggest having a look round first.
on 27 March 2015
I intend to use it solely for reference purposes when I have a problem. The book is fine if you have the time to read it through, but when I concult it with a problem and look for the appropriate word in the index it is often not there.
on 12 July 2013
As the name implies, this book introduces you into all the abilities that are available in Word 2007 to the user. A very useful reference for anybody skilled or novice.
on 6 August 2013
Needed it to come to grips with a new Word programme. Needed to answer some questions about the changed between this and my old system.
on 21 September 2014
Great Book, very informative, Interesting and easy to follow
on 23 June 2011
I bought this book few weeks ago. I think this book is the best option for those who really want to get good practical skills in Word and the chapters are very well composed and structured so you can easy understand what is this all about. I would recommend this book not only for people who have experience working with Word but also for beginners.
on 8 February 2016
Extremely useful!
on 22 October 2014
a good read
VINE VOICEon 3 July 2009
Now I may be an old fashioned fuddy-duddy/geek - call me what you will - but when the IT department replaced my Office 2003 with the 2007 edition, I had a quiet fit.

Everything is difficult if not impossible to find, a lot of the more technical functions have disappeared or are so difficult to find that it is hardly worth it and the 3 options for colour schemes are for those with 20/20 vision or who are on acid. The new version of the program seems to have been designed for American children

What better than a detailed manual to help me through. In any event, I had hoped that this tome would help me through this disaster.

It didn't. I am sure that the book will be helpful for those who absolutely must or want to have 2007, but for me it seemed to highlight the superiority of previous versions of this Microsoft monopoly

In any event, the book is now a prop to raise my monitor, and I have managed to find my old 2003 Office disc and re-install it.