on 9 March 2006
I have to say that this book is just great. I have passed the XP exam and I used this book as my main reference (I have used other books but they weren't as good). The chapters are well organized, clear and useful. It contains lots of practical lab work that are useful both for the exam and the real world. This book also comes with a 15% discount voucher (time limited), a CD which contains exam style questions and videos (plus more useful stuff), and a trial version of Windows XP operating system.
I felt the authors actually knew what they were talking about and provided useful exam tips throughout.
The book is huge with lots of useful information. I will use it as a great reference guide now that the exams have finished.
I strongly recommend this book and I believe it is money well spent.
on 5 October 2005
This is an easy read, even for complete novices. The book is well structured, with one half dedicated to self training, and the other half to exam preparation. Chapters constantly break the subject matter down into smaller parts, and aim to consolidate what you have learned by regular testing. It also includes a 15% discount exam voucher for the exam, and practice tests on CD ROM. The only disadvantage I can think of is the sheer size of the book.
on 17 January 2006
I would thorougly recommend this book, It is a bit bulky but that is the only downside. The book is well structured, has questions to test you in between the chapters and also includes a 15% discount voucher. If you want to pass your exam I would recommend this book. Forgot to add, in my opinion this book can also be used a an XP guide thanks to its well presented instructions.
on 11 January 2008
I received this book as part of my course, and i have found it a great help, especially the practise test CD and the Service Pack 2 installation CD which came with mine (That may not come with other copies, im not sure as mine as i say was sent to me via my education facility). This book is definately worth buying if you are studying the MCSA/MCSE or even just brushing up on parts of your knowledge if already in the field of network engineering/administration. In short I find this book much better than then MCSA for dummies i bought before receiving my course package
on 8 September 2008
In contrast to the other reviewers, I found this the most dull and badly written computer book I have ever read. It can never have been proof-read. It is full of careless errors - there are even some in the answers to the questions. The book leaves gaps in your understanding all over the place, and doesn't flow. The aim seems to be learning by committing disjointed facts to memory, rather than imparting understanding. This is not a dull subject if it is taught by enthusiasts, but the authors of this book do not seem to have the spark of life within them. I give it one star for the included CDs, and for giving an idea of what's expected in the exam.
on 30 May 2008
This book is a well presented, well organised guide to the 70-270 exam syllabus. It isn't too basic, it assumes that you have some working experience already, which is the correct line to take in my opinion.

My main gripe with the book is that when you go from 'Part 1 - Learn at your own pace' to 'Part 2 - Prepare for the exam', it has questions on things that aren't covered in the first part. So don't go thinking that this book is fully comprehensive, it's not. Given the size of it, maybe there just wasn't enough room for the fine detail!
on 16 October 2008
I read this book about 2 years ago and passed my 70-270 exam with around 85% ... no complaints there. The book gave me everything I needed to pass the exam and its not as if I studied it over and over again. I read through various chapters for a few weeks and then read pretty much the whole thing the week before my exam and that was it, so although it is quite bulky you dont need to worry about memorising every single line..
on 10 June 2009
I passed the exam in spite of the book, and not because of it. I purchased it in the hope of filling in gaps of my own knowledge, and that of my existing study materials. It had much of the information necessary, such as aspects of Remote Installation. However, Bluetooth was examined, and it was not in the book.

Like most books, it presents you with lists of instructions but without screen shots for illustration. This makes it very difficult to absorb the information, although such a move would push up the costs. I have not opened the included CD-ROM as I had already passed the exam and therefore I will not comment on the content of it.

I would have liked an exam cram session where I could browse through quick summaries.

Suppose I did have no other study material but this book. Would I have passed? I think so, but not with a comfortable margin.
on 1 March 2010
I am currently studying for my MCP qualification before moving on to do further exams and this book is a very informative yet easy to understand book. Everything is simply put and the end of chapter exams are a good idea as you only have to concentrate on one chapter at a time and you don't have to cram too much in, in one go. Great Book
on 8 June 2009
This book is very good for those who wish to become MCP certified,I really recommend it.