on 12 December 2002
Amongst the diverse range of .NET books out there, there aren't many that give a full treatment to ADO.NET. That's surprising, since ADO.NET marks a significant revolution to Microsoft's data access model, and having a good understanding of the object model is essential to writing high-performance data-centric applications.
Enter the MS Press Core Reference. This hardback is a little intimidating on first examination due to its size, but is well enough structured that you can dip into an interesting chapter without missing out on what's gone before it. Calling it a reference book is perhaps misleading: it implies that the book is far less readable as a tutorial than it actually is. The author's experience in the WebData team comes across - there are sidebars scattered throughout with valuable performance tips and tricks that are usually not well known.
The book isn't without any weaknesses. For instance, it could benefit from a little more depth on how to design a data tier in ADO.NET: one could come away rather daunted by the range of choices available. The introduction of the concept of strongly-typed datasets also comes a little late, perhaps. But overall, the quality and accuracy of the information contained, coupled with a very approachable writing style, leaves this as the best book available on the subject for enterprise developers. Recommended.
on 23 April 2004
A really good book, I had a softcopy of the book and I had read a coupleof chapter by printing out the softcopy. I had to get the hardcopy of thebook since it is such a good book, I needed the book mainly for my Ms .NETcertification 70-316, I almost read about 40% of the book in about a dayand half just 2 days before my exam, and trust me is it really a good booksince I could absorb a lot in such short reading. I used Amit Kalanis bookfor 70-316 but the amount of stuff regarding 70-316 covered in that bookis not enough for the exam, you will need this book.
on 29 November 2003
Having brought a few books on VB.NET and each having sections on ADO.NET, i could not get my head around some of the concepts. But i found this book that takes you through step by step examples both in VB & C# and throughly explains everything. So if your just starting out with ADO.NET this is a must have book. The price could have been double, but the time i saved it would have been still worth it !
on 4 March 2005
After being given the task of rewriting all of our internal databases into one system, I was a little scared of ADO.net and Visual Studio.net as I've never done much programming.
But it's so easy when you have reference and explanations in front of you with exactly what means what. This book does that, others didn't explain themselves properly but here David Sceppa takes his time and writes technological terms in plain english.
I would recommend this book to anyone looking to get into, or curious of ADO.NET.
Only one thing though, like all Microsoft products there seems to be a few glitches! (page 39 a prime example where he asks you to change a textID to Chap2, then close the form, reopen and you'll see that the value is back to it's original instead of Chap3. Hang on, didn't he say to change to Chap2 10 lines back???) - minor things like that but these typo's are easy to spot! No disrespect meant to anyone at Microsoft...!
on 3 January 2004
I got this book to help increase my ADO.NET knowledge that is required for the MCAD/MCSD.NET certifications.
Unlike most MS Press books this book is very, very good. Sceppa knows his stuff.