on 17 April 2004
I have got a number of constuction books in my arsenal to help me through the construction of a house extension - this one is the one I turn to first. Covering all the stages of building in a very clear but suffciently detailed way, it has been enough to guide me through various stages of the build with no extra help. What you don't find in these pages you'll only get in the Building regs themselves (which I recommend you get!).
on 7 April 2006
If you're buying a house, building one, or simply don't know your pargetting from your parapets, then this book is for you. It's thin enough that you can read it, yet the large format allows for several line drawings on every page. Reading this book taught me more than any other pile of textbooks about how houses were put together, how they fall apart and how to put them back again. It's a paragon of clear and legible writing and the scope covers all those types of building work that you're likely to encounter in UK domestic housing; from early-Victoriana to modern insulation systems. No longer need you be baffled by batts or fail to understand a U value. Highly recommended, and the best bargain anyone buying a house more than 10 years old could find.
on 4 November 2001
I think this book is a very good book for construction students, it has everything in it from foundations to the roofs of a building. it also has alot of good diagrams in it, which is useful in the construction tecnology lesson at uni or at college. This is a must buy book
on 13 February 2011
I remember stumbling across a single copy of this book in my university library during the first year of my own building surveying degree studies. After struggling with the antiquated presentation, excessive technical detail and poor narrative of the recommended texts (Mitchells, Chudley, Barry etc) this title was like a breath of fresh air! Its presentation is more akin to an excellent series of lectures than to a technical manual. Not only does it not overwhelm you with unnecessary detail but it also explains the underlying reasons for the use of the various technologies - precisely what is required for success in university exams, and the feature most neglected by the traditional texts. The authors also possess that rare quality amongst textbook writers - the ability to put themselves in the position of someone who is new to a subject, and to explain it logically, and in exactly the right level of detail. It is now many years since I completed my building surveying degree but, of all the books I read, I remember this book as one of only two that really impressed me. The other, if you're interested, was McMullan's Environmental Science in Building (Building and Surveying Series)
on 9 October 2009
This book is very well written, with an excellent blend of narrative and illustration. The extensive use of illustration, rather than technical drawing I found less imitimidating, as I have no training in technical drawing. The books explains modern constructions and 1st/2nd fix techniques, and even provides a high level summary of heating and electrical systems.

In comparisson to other books on the subject, this book appears far more approachable from a lay persons perspective than some of the more technically oriented books available.
on 23 August 2011
Having entered the world of property renovation and then becoming a landlord, albeit some time ago, I was looking for a book to fill in the blanks for my missing knowledge.
I found this book perfect. Although I have been working on building sites for years as a commercial floor layer, I've often wondered out of curiosity, what's inside that wall or how's that roof constructed??
Wanting to go further forward with my property portfolio I realised a fuller knowledge of construction techniques and indeed defects, could only be of benefit in my future purchases.
on 18 July 2011
This book is a dream for me a Building Surveying graduate and new professional. I wish i had this during my studies. it completely clears the confusion in a real world scenario style of writing giving alternatives to the traditional and explaining why we replaced it to a modern technique.
It really is an excellent book and in terms of usable knowledge it supersedes Chudley etc with ease.
on 27 March 2014
Average book, more about the historic construction methods and types of houses rather than actually constructing a house. None the less good for referencing but could do with more pictures (in colour) it's the 21st Century publishers! Fix up!
on 27 May 2009
Good and easy to follow text giving most of what you need to know about construction. Being used as a source for info on the first year of a BSc in Estate Management.
on 15 December 2014
Very good, needs updating slightly but so does all construction books after 2/3 years. Good knowledge can be gained, well recommended.