4.0 out of 5 stars The Summoning
Published 6 months ago by Damaskcat

3.0 out of 5 stars New guardians begin their work of keeping out the evil.
A routine archeology dig in Scotland turns into something completely unexpected when student Adam Parker unearths an object which seems to exude menace. He is very surprised by the reaction of his professor to his find, but agrees to abandon the dig and journey to Brighton to meet the man who will explain the significance of this horribly ugly piece of silver...
Published 3 months ago by J. Lesley

3.0 out of 5 stars New guardians begin their work of keeping out the evil., 26 Mar 2014
J. Lesley "(Judy)" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Summoning (Shadow World) (Hardcover)

The Summoning is a story of two worlds existing side by side; one our present day, one ruled by those who would use unspeakable evil means to gain control, ruled by The Crimson King. Throughout history the duty to maintain control of the present has been passed on within familial lines from one generation to another whenever possible. The fight can be seen in each dynamic crossroad in history with evil often coming out the victor. The artifact has now found Adam Parker and is calling for him to come begin his fight to keep out what could be called the dark twin of our world. Fellow students Jane Dobb and Martin Prior will join Adam and have their part to play in this adventure as the guardians who have fought for so long are beginning to grow older or die out.

This is the first book in the series The Shadow World and forms all the background information about who the fighters are on the sides of good and evil. There is one of the best names for a villain I think I've ever come across, Rabanus Bloor. Don't you just know you can hate him on sight? There is so much background information given that it delayed anything much happening in the story for quite a while. I did enjoy the book in spite of some awkward phrasing and sentence structure. I think it was supposed to impart intellectual weight to the characters, but instead it was just somewhat odd. I have not read any previous writings by this author so that may just be the style of Francis Cottam. All three of these young people are very young to be given the task of saving the world so readers will just have to hope their youth will be offset by their enthusiasm and their evident physical attractiveness. The attractiveness aspect is mentioned quite often.

I received an ARC of this novel through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are my own.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Summoning, 19 Jan 2014
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Summoning (Shadow World) (Hardcover)
Adam is taking part in an archaeological dig in Scotland when he finds a strange artefact which he cannot identify but which arouses all sorts of emotions in him. He takes it to Professor Grayling who seems to know more about it than he is telling and who appears afraid of it. He arranges for Adam to take it to a Dr MacGuire in Brighton and here Adam's adventures begin.

I think this book is aimed more at the Young Adult market but I found it had enough substance to keep me reading. The characters are interesting and even though I would not normally find a teenage boy of interest as a main character, Adam is far from being your average teenage boy and it is clear to the reader that he has more powers than he is aware of.

I thought the relationships between the main characters were very well done. Adam's ambivalence about his estranged father and his tentative steps into what is clearly a serious relationship with Jane Dodd especially had a ring of truth about them. I felt the meeting with his father was especially well done and brought tears to my eyes.

I think my only criticism of the book is that the ending seemed a little rushed though it became clear to me later that this is the first book in a series and so there had to be enough loose ends to continue the story. Recommended to people who enjoy horror - whether Young Adult or adult readers.

I received a free copy of this book for review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Summoning (Shadow World) (Hardcover)
After reading the other reviews I decided to add my thoughts to the mix. Other reviewers have given enough of an overview of the story so I won't go and retrace old ground.

I found the beginning of the book and the introduction of the characters very interesting. There was a some what thrilling element to the story line when you met characters from the parallel world, who then interacted with the main characters of Adam, Jane, Grayling and Martin. I also found the reuniting of Adam with his father very touching.

Then, after a great start, the story plateaued for a while, Adam went to Rotterdam for his father and came back to Britain only to go back to Rotterdam a few days later. Two thirds of the way through I felt that the book was treading water and I was willing it to move on.

By the time the story took me where it had been promising all along I had just 3 pages of the book left to enjoy the new turn of events. Another review said that they felt the end was rushed and I agree with them. I realise that this is the first book and another will follow and the author ends the story with something along the lines of "this is not the end, just the end of the beginning".

The bottom line is that this book is worth reading and I am glad I read it. Would I change parts of it if given the chance?Yes I would
but then F.G. Cottam knows which way he wants to take his story and I respect that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, evil supernatural chiller..., 26 Jan 2014
Martin Belcher (Hampshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Summoning (Shadow World) (Hardcover)
I can honestly say this the best F G Cottam book I have read to date. From the first page it grabbed my attention like no other book has done in a long while, when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it.

Cottam has upped his game and introduced not only a supernatural thriller based in our world but also in an evil shadow world "Endrimor", a world physically comparable in size but smaller in population, seemingly stuck in a medieval feudal type system, plagued with brutality, evil creatures and unlike our own world, magic.

It all starts when Adam Parker working on an archaeological dig in Scotland unearths a very strange artefact made of a unknown metal. Professor Grayling heading the dig knows more about this artefact than he admits. Adam is fortuitously thrown into a sequence of events triggered by a long lost relative. The shadow world of Endrimor seems to have had many effects on our world since human time began. The Black Plague, the First World War, the Cold War, all may have been the work and product of meddling by Endrimors agents. Can this really be true and can Adam and his companion Jane find the truth and stop a future war that may mean victory for Endrimor and the end of our world as we know it.

A fantastic mix, of horror, evil, chilling supernatural events interlaced with fascinating historic events and an original alternative evil world populated with horrific creatures from your nightmares. I defy anyone not to get lost in "The Summoning" and not get out again!

The first book in a new series "The Shadow World" so I cannot wait for the next book. Please give this one a try. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not Time Team., 21 Jan 2014
Trav (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Summoning (Shadow World) (Hardcover)
This a thrilling story of a student Adam, who finds an unusual artefact at a student archaeology dig. This starts a trail for Adam and his friends, of discovery of a world running parallel to earth, where magic/sorcery rules. It is a frightening world that wants control of earth.

It is a well written novel, with interesting characters and interesting theories on historical events. Although it is aimed at young adults, it is a deep and thrilling enough read for adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Summoning, 5 Mar 2014
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Summoning (Shadow World) (Hardcover)
I’ve read a few of this author’s books previously, and found them good, although some definitely better than others (The Waiting Room was great, Dark Echo not so much). The premise of this book sounded very promising, so I was more than happy to give the author another try.

Adam Parker is 19 years old and is a promising archaeological student on a dig in Scotland. There, he finds a very unusual artefact – or does it in fact find him? Adam is drawn into a confusing world where myth and reality seem to blend and blur into a dangerous and brutal world. Could it possibly have impinged on our world before, in events we believe to have been historical and valid?

The characters are well drawn, although the action did take a little while to wind itself up in this book – necessarily so, as there was a bit of groundwork to lay before we could really get going. There is a really good blend of myth and history, and the dangers in which Adam and Jane find themselves are ‘real’ and edgy enough to offer a good blend of tension and drama to the narrative. I love the way history has been woven into the ‘otherworld’ level of story, and the forays into the Black Plague, World War II and other historical periods are handled very well. The front cover of the book describes it as “a riveting supernatural thriller” – I agree. This is the first in a series (The Shadow World), and I look forward very much to the next book.

The Summoning (Shadow World)
The Summoning (Shadow World) by F. G. Cottam (Hardcover - 31 Jan 2014)
19.99