4.0 out of 5 stars MIXED BAG
This novel was a bit of a mixed bag for me but on the whole I enjoyed it.

The positives - Alan Hruska is a good writer and the story was fast paced; it kept me hooked, reading late into the night so easily finished it within a couple of days and all in all was happy with the ending.

The negatives - the level of coincidences needed to make this plot...
Published on 31 May 2012 by Carol 'avid little bookworm'

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but highly improbable
Published on 6 May 2012 by Moose Papoose

4.0 out of 5 stars MIXED BAG, 31 May 2012
Carol 'avid little bookworm' (LEEDS, Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wrong Man Running (Kindle Edition)
This novel was a bit of a mixed bag for me but on the whole I enjoyed it.

The negatives - the level of coincidences needed to make this plot successful were not realistic. Written firmly from the male prospective; Rick Cornish is such a catch he literally has beautiful women throwing themselves at him throughout the book which brings me neatly on to my biggest niggle. The women in this book have been brutally raped but there are no emotions attached to these events at all; with at least one victim managing to fall for Rick at a time when I would suspect most women in this position would be off men for quite sometime.

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but highly improbable, 6 May 2012
Moose Papoose (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got straight into this book which ripped along at a great pace. I liked the clipped New York dialogue and the deepening plot. However, I became weary of the fact that everyone was beautiful, smart and had an amazing body. Then there was a plethora of normal people being revealed as warped sexual deviants. No-one ever seemed to suffer traumatic after effects of violent assault, and there were far too many co-incidences. Whilst most of the book was played out over a short time period, ten months was crammed into a couple of paragraphs towards the end, which I found irritating.

However, the narrative was compelling and well-written, and I reluctantly found myself sticking with it into the early hours to finish it quickly. For me, this book promised something which it failed to deliver - a believable plot. Too far fetched and left me wondering what exactly is the role of the legal system in New York?

3.0 out of 5 stars A poorly delivered narrative, 12 Mar 2012
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This legal thriller starts from an interesting premise - a successful Manhattan prosecutor, at the top of his game just hired on at the District Attorney's office. He's essentially a good man, well-liked by colleagues of even brief acquaintance, and a stand up ex-husband to his kids and former wife. However, he has this problem - he blacks out under stress. His life is turned upside-down when he is `fingered' for a series of brutal rapes. Our protagonist Rick just happens to know all but one of the women who've been assaulted in New York and nearby New Jersey, and except for the very first victim, investment banker Diane Nethersong, they all stand ready to testify that their assailant was him. The accusations from all these women; are hard to take, but none harder or should we say harder to believe than that of his ex-wife Ali. With his career in the toilet and his arrest only hours away Rick decides on radical action.
However, the tale deteriorates thanks to a number of groan-inducing clichés. As we delve into Illogical plot developments, that mar this mystery, a debut novel from film director and once former lawyer Hruska.

The feel and set up of the Mise en scène are with a movie in mind and seems to read more like draft script, and this makes the reader feel like they didn't get to know or care about the protagonist too much, as action takes over from storytelling. Hence this novel comes off quite disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ho Hum....not that good, done better by others, 3 Oct 2012
ratscat13 "ratscat13" (North East Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read a review somewhere else of this book that said "Sometimes I wonder when I finish a book why I picked it up in the first place. This was one of those times." And I have to agree.

Rick is a high flying lawyer whose career is on the up and up. His boss is aging and he is set to take over his role. What could possibly go wrong? When a series of rapes occur to women he knows he is suspected of the crimes. Inexplicably he flees, making him seem even guiltier, but if he hadn't there wouldn't have been a book! The book revolves around Rick's attempts to find the real perpetrator.
The characters are flat and unbelievable - all wealthy and gorgeous and there isn't what feels like a real person in there. The story is mildly gripping but the story hangs on too many flukes and twists that are just unrealistic. The novel is ok if you are looking to totally suspend disbelief for a while and just while away a few hours but if you want a good read, borrow this and spend your money elsewhere!

1.0 out of 5 stars A Very Poor Effort, 4 Mar 2012
Amazon Customer (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are a number of problems with Alan Hruska's 'Wrong Man Running'. The absurd plot takes suspension of disbelief to extreme lengths, and only creaks along with aid of fantastic coincidences and the fact that just about every character knows every other character prior to the start of the book; quite remarkable in a city the size of New York. There is not a single believable character in the book, and the women are especially poor creations, for each is a magnificent physical specimen who wants to bed our hero Rick Corinth; it is a 14-year old boy's fantasy of womankind.

Corinth is accused of a serious of very serious sexual assaults, although the word 'Wrong' in the title kinda gives the game away, and goes on the run. We the readers are meant to spot who the guilty party is, but the final answer, stretched out over countless pages of tedium, will have you groaning at the sheer silliness of it and setting the book aside with a very let-down feeling.

Three words: Avoid This Book

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book of it's type - but interesting set up ..., 7 July 2014
This review is from: Wrong Man Running (Kindle Edition)
Not the best book of it's type - but interesting set up & character made it an enjoyable read - well worth giving it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
very good book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Far fetched, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wrong Man Running (Kindle Edition)
Like other reviewers, I found this plot ridiculously unbelievable. Which was a shame as I really enjoyed the writing style. It fair gallops along and is extremely easy to read, but dear me, a man falsely accused of violent rape, victims certain it's him but happy to spend time in his company ... Alone! In fact, one victim even becoming his sidekick when he attempts to track down the real culprit. Like I say, far fetched. I'm giving it three stars because it was easy to read, and I didn't abandon it before the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars gripping, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wrong Man Running (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed the suspense and twists in this book. I found I could not put it down. A very good read if you like suspense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Wrong Man Running (Kindle Edition)
I'm not the greatest reader out there , unless on holiday but thoroughly ripped through this one, even choosing this book over Sky News before bed! Fast moving and on the button, kept me engrossed.
Nice one Alan

Wrong Man Running
Wrong Man Running by Alan Hruska (Hardcover - 31 Mar 2011)
18.25