4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced

Published on 28 Jun. 2007 by S. Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars A note from the publisher, 28 Jun. 2007
S. Walker - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Their Footsteps (Paperback)
As the publisher of Tess's more recent thrillers, I wanted to advise fans that this was originally published by Mira / Mills & Boon in the 1980s as a romantic suspense novel. Despite Mira's claims that the books they publish were Sunday Times bestsellers, and despite their use of Harlan Coben's quote (both of which Tess and we have asked them not to use), they continue to reissue her novels as thrillers. They are not thrillers, and were never intended to be.

The thrillers featuring Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles are The Surgeon, first published by Transworld in 2002, The Apprentice, The Sinner, Body Double, Vanish and The Mephisto Club.

If you have any further comments / queries, you can talk to Tess direct via her website, [...] or her blog. Or you can see her in person when she comes to the UK in Jan 08 with her new novel, The Bone Garden.

Selina Walker, Transworld

2.0 out of 5 stars Will disappoint Tess Gerritsen fans, 17 May 2014
J. Pilling - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Their Footsteps (Paperback)
I found it difficult to believe that this was really by Tess Gerritsen. More like a Mills and Boone romance than one of her thrillers. Then I looked at the copyright data (copyright 1994). It's a rehash of one of her old books before she developed a realistic style of writing.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE BEST GERRITSEN , BY FAR, 23 Aug. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: In Their Footsteps (Paperback)
Luckily I had read three Tess Gerritsen books before I read this one, The Surgeon, The Apprentice and Bloodstream. If this had been my first I don't think I'd have read any of the others. If I'd have wanted a slushy love story I would have picked a Mills and Boon. The plot was so weak and predictable, you knew exactly what was going to happen and when !!
If you want classic gritty Gerritsen, I suggest you give this one a miss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, 22 Feb. 2004
Danielle Hall - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Their Footsteps (Paperback)
A fast paced tale of espionage, politics and revenge - with the inevitable dash of romance - which moves between an English country house, dark and seedy corners of Paris, and a sun drenched Greek island. This novel sees Gerritsen thankfully beginning to move away from the romance genre, and really getting to grips with a crime thriller. There are still one or two passages which read a little like a Mills and Boon book, but the developing relationship between the main characters does help move the plot forward.
Similar to Keeper of the Bride, only better written and less soppy on the relationship front.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the other ones, 1 May 2013
marysun (Surrrey, England) - See all my reviews
I am a big fan of Tess Gerritsen but this one is the only one I have delete so far from my kindle. It is a very easy read, very typical spy and romance book nothing new.

4.0 out of 5 stars MS. GERRITSEN FAILS TO DELIVER FOR ME., 10 Jun. 2004
Ap Nj Dorrall "nicky0512" (plymouth,devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Their Footsteps (Paperback)
IN THEIR FOOTSTEPS, DOESN'T QUITE HAVE THE PUNCH THAT YOU WOULD EXPECT WITH ONE OF MS.GERRITSEN'S NOVELS.IT IS QUITE A TAUNT THRILLER, WHERE BERYL AND HER BROTHER JORDAN SEARCH TO CLEAR THEIR PARENTS NAMES OF THE SCANDAL THAT WAS ASSOCIATED WITH THEIR DEATH'S TWENTY YEARS AGO.WITH THE LOVE INTEREST FOR BERYL IN RICHARD WOLF, AN EX-CIA AGENT, THIS BOOK TRAVELS FROM ENGLAND TO PARIS AND ONTO GREECE.I WOULD LIKE TO APPLAUDE MS. GERRITSEN ON HER WRITING OF US "BRITS", THE DIALOGUE IS NEITHER STUFFY OR OVER POMPUS, WHICH IS WHAT WE NORMALLY GET WHEN AN AMERICAN WRITES ABOUT US.I WOULD STILL RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AS IT WAS ENJOYABLE AND SHE IS A FINE WRITER.

1.0 out of 5 stars !?!!! Is this for real?, 6 Sept. 2007
L. Thompson (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Their Footsteps (Paperback)
Oh thank GOODNESS it's not just me!!! I'm on page 233 and long before this thought why did this woman give up the medical profession to write tat like this??!! and more to the point, why am I reading it? Truth be told, I didn't want it getting the better of me and I have had so many people recommend Gerritsen that I decided to keep going. After the last couple of reviews, I will give one of her thrillers a go but honestly, she should consider getting this one out of circulation ASAP! (PS gave it 1 star because there is no option for ZERO star!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrendous and vacuous., 30 May 2011
P. Griffin "Griff" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Their Footsteps (Paperback)
Oh for the option to select zero stars. To start let me say that I could not read much of this. It is bad. Here's why: Gerritsen is a lazy writer. Her prose is poor, she has no feel for rhythm or metre. I cannot comment on her previous novels, nor will I, for this effort is too much to contemplate willingly exposing myself to more dross. Examples of her terrible writing abound from page to page (I admit that was the only reason I kept turning the pages after a while.) Her incessant adverbs and weak cliched telling destroy what is a medicre plot at the best of times.
Her publisher should bear some responsibilty for allowing this lazt effort to get to print. If you seek to write, seek to write well- not add to the pile of trash that sits rotting on airport shelves. If only authors would turn their back on the fast buck and embrace the harder path of excellence. All too often this is not the case, as we can see with 'In their Footsteps'. Gerritsen introduces so many cliches and horrendous two dimensional characters that one feels when reading this that it ought to be part of a snide parody. Alas it is not. I did not finish it. And I suggest you do not start it. Leave writing to authors like Steinbeck and Trevor and those of us who seek to excell not churn the butter of mediocrity. Consign this effort to the bin.

2.0 out of 5 stars James Bond written by a Mills & Boon receptionist, 13 July 2006
russell clarke "stipesdoppleganger" (halifax, west yorks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: In Their Footsteps (Paperback)
I like a bit of Tess Gerritsen. She can usually be relied upon to write well constructed pacy exciting novels involving crime, and forensics, that sort of thing. She's a looser less stuffy Patricia Cornwell.All the books of hers I've read to date have been entertaining page turners- "The Surgeon", "Bloodstream" , The Apprentice" Body Double"- which leads to the pertinent question , why is "In Their Footsteps" such execrable tosh?

Essentially this flimsy tale of two siblings scurrying around Paris trying to get to the bottom of their parents death which has been attributed officially to their father killing the mother then taking his own life is a lamentable attempt to fuse the skulduggery and intrigue of James Bond with a Mills and Boon romance. Set in the hyperventilating but prosaic world of MI6 the C.I.A. and other enigmatic Government and State agencies it quite clearly purports to be exotic and alluring with it's upper class society settings and stupid character names ("Richard Wolf ", I ask you) All this in reality does is make it seem like it's written by a hormonal fourteen year old, which given the crass plot and dire prose may well have been the case. I presume Gerritsen was writing at that age? I can only assume her agent thought it would slip by unnoticed and keep her in the best seller's lists.

Some of the guff in this novel is such bilious tat that editors of those real life story magazines that silt up newsagent stands would dismiss it as too overwrought and florid which when you take into account their intended audience-frustrated denizens of suburbia or menopausal spinsters-is saying something. "His lips grazed hers, it was the lightest of kisses, but it was heady with the taste of champagne. At one she craved another kiss, a longer kiss. For a moment they both stared at each other, hovering on the edge of temptation." Dear god women, what possessed you .Sorry rhetorical question there, but one thing is sure there is no excuse for unmitigated dross such as "The taste of his lips on hers sent a shudder through her body. If this is my punishment, she thought, then let me commit the crime again".

The only reason it escapes one star hell is it made me laugh out loud on several occasions, though that was incontrovertibly not the intention, and it's idiotically entertaining. And it's short. Other than that the sight of the waste paper bin left me "hovering on the edge of temptation".

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable early Gerritsen, 8 July 2012
Cloggie Downunder (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: In Their Footsteps (Paperback)
In Their Footsteps is the first book in the Tavistock Family series by Tess Gerritsen. When Beryl Tavistock and her brother Jordan discover that the circumstances of their parents' death in Paris twenty years previous was not a heroic death in the line of duty, as they had always believed, they decide investigate. They travel from Chetwynd, London, the home of their Uncle Hugh, former MI6, to Paris, where the shootings took place. Once there and asking questions, they find themselves the target of a highly-trained and ruthless assassin whose skill with weapons and explosives puts them in great danger. A trusted French colleague calls in ex-CIA agent Richard Wolf to babysit the pair, but somehow Jordan ends up in a Paris jail charged with murder, and Beryl enlists Wolf to help find answers. Their investigations take them from Paris to the Greek Isles, a prison in Berlin, and back to Paris. And, of course, on the way, they fall in love. This is a good example of Gerritsen's romantic intrigue novels. There's plenty of suspense, characters who are not what they seem, and a plot with a few twists. At half-way I thought I had the culprit figured, but I was in for a surprise. A very enjoyable read.

In Their Footsteps
In Their Footsteps by Tess Gerritsen (Hardcover - 2 Jun. 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01