5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect starting school book.
My little boy was given a few books about starting school - this was by far the best. We read it quite a few times before he started in reception, and he asked to read it a lot over the course of the first term. So much in the book was 'just like in my class' - it really struck a chord. This book is just perfect; I can't recommend it highly enough.
Published on 13 Jan. 2004 by G. Milner

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but there are better books
A little old fashioned for modern school but for introducing the concept it's quite nice, would recommend the Topsy and Tim start school rather than this one.
Published 1 month ago by Cotswold Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect starting school book., 13 Jan. 2004
G. Milner (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Pre- Schoolers, 26 April 2005
By A Customer
Our local pre-school gives this book out every year to the children who are leaving to start school. The book follows several children as they start reception class through the first term up until Christmas. Whilst written as a childrens story book it is excellently thought out and very perceptive. My two older children were both given one and loved it! A great book to buy before your child starts school, and a good starting point for parents who wish to prepare their young child for that big step!

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential guide for four year-olds., 23 Sept. 2001
ruth e gladwin (York, N Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My third child (Millie) is going to start school in a couple of months and so I got this book out again and as we read it I was reminded of just how good a book it is. The illustrations are clear and detailed and the story is calm and interesting. My older children (6 and 8 year olds) were reminded of their own first days at school and it prompted them to discuss the reception class with Millie. A lot of books just deal with the first day or week but this one takes you through the first term, giving the child the promise of variety and excitment. Over that period of time things do go wrong (from spilt paint to chicken pox) and we see that everyone is able to cope. I would also recommend The Anholts' "Billy and the Big New School" and Shirley Hughes' "Lucy and Tom go to School", though the second is a bit old fashioned (includes getting free school milk!).

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'must-read' for anyone with a 4 year old child!, 25 Feb. 2003
This book introduces the world of school in a colourful and child friendly way. It deals with most activities the child will encounter, taking them through the first day, week, month and term. I've always used it with my new Reception class when they came on their induction days to ease them into school life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book for pre-schoolers, 26 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
A great book for pre-schoolers. Goes carefully and simply through many possible anxieties about school. Cleverly doesn't raise worries - just presents situations which might cause anxiety and illustrates how they aren't a problem. For example, some children in the story only want to "think about" doing something rather than to actually "do it".

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book would highly recommend, 2 Oct. 2009
Grant Coulton (UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book which I read to my daughter lots before she started big school. She loved it and it really helped her to understand what will happen at school and suggest the sorts of routines and things that they do there. She is now in Year 1 and still refers to it, now that she knows what happens first hand. Her little brother starts preschool soon and he has been read this book by her and us and he loves it too. I felt the need to write a recent review about this book as it seems years that anyone else has. Excellent value for money. Pictures are lovely and a lovely story to snuggle up and read with your child.

5.0 out of 5 stars It just helps, 30 Oct. 2003
By A Customer
It's so difficult to explain new concepts to little ones and it helps to have visual hooks and scenarios they can relate to. This book provides all that. I knew it had all been worthwhile when on her first morning my daughter said "now you leave don't you mummy, like in my book" - and she didn't cry, because she understood that she, like all the children in the book, would be dropped off for a day of new experiences (some good, some bad) and would then be collected. Particularly good is the way in which it teaches how school is an ongoing process, day by day and term by term. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It was just perfect in vocabulary and illustration.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful story, 11 Jan. 2012
A truly delightful tale. I'm not sure who likes this book the most, the children or myself! Very evocative (for me) with outstanding artwork in such fine detail. Oh yes, the children liked it by the way! Should be a staple for all infant schools and parents. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, 13 Sept. 2009
As a nervous Mum to a 4 year old who was very reluctant to start school this Sept I read the previous reviews and have to echo what they say. A great book to get kids talking about starting school and into their first term up to Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful for children and parents alike, 5 Sept. 2011
I bought this book two weeks before my daughter started school so that she would get an idea of what was coming her way. My daughter asked for this book to be read a number of times over the two weeks and asked a lot of questions about the pictures. I like the way that a number of children start school at the same time and it shows a day, then a week, a few weeks, then the whole of the first term. It also shows the children getting ready each day (although in our house we have breakfast and then clean teeth) which enabled me to start a discussion about the importance of getting up and ready each morning. I love it too.

Starting School (Picture Puffins)
Starting School (Picture Puffins) by Janet Ahlberg (Paperback - 4 July 2013)