on 19 September 2012
I bought this limited edition box set for my daughter. She's only 2.5 at present but I wanted to get something she could treasure in years to come. Emma Thompson has written a delightful little story and the illustrations are in keeping with the style of Beatric Potter and are utterly charming.

The set is beautifully presented initially in a brown box with a numbered sheet on the front which opens to reveal a white cardboard slipcase over a white box that has illustrations of Peter Rabbit across it. Opening the box reveals two cloth bound little books inlaid on a purple inset. The original Peter Rabbit story by Miss Potter on the left and the new book on the right (under which is a small envelope containing a letter signed by Emma).

To the "reviewer" who left one star...please do your research first before critising in future...to give such a low score to a set you don't own or have ordered is neither constructive nor informative.

But back to the set, it may be pricey compared to buying the book on its own but this is an investment piece..hopefully to be passed onto future generations and for that reason, it's highly recommended.
on 5 September 2012
I have a collection of Beatrix potter books and pottery that I have collected since a child, and my nieces and nephews have loved them through their growing up too. I bought this as a keepsake for them and their children in years to come. The set is limited and well Put together.
I liked the book and thought Emma had been asked to keep a lovely tradition in peter rabbit going for new generations and look forward to the next book she has been asked to do as well. Well done Emma.
on 15 September 2012
Wow! I pre-ordered this special edition box, and what a treat it was when the postman came knocking. Where do I start? It is so special in every way, and as I peeled back the layers of the box, I almost daren't touch, lest I disturbed its presentation! The print on the box and fabric books are incredible and beautifully designed. The texture of which reminds me of my old and well-thumbed 1909 Beatrix Potter books that have been handed down through the family. I really enjoyed reading the preface explaining how and why some of Potter's previously excluded drawings have been added to the newly published original story. Emma Thompson has done an incredible job with the Further Tale. I loved knowing that she wrote it whilst in Scotland, and the letter signed by her is such a lovely touch. The illustrations are so much fun and I think very true to the originals, but with their own special added character. Thank goodness I bought two of these boxes, as I will be keeping one for my family, and the other is to be a Christening present. I feel very proud to put these two special editions along side my old Beatrix Potter books on the bookshelf.
on 20 July 2013
My grand-daughter loved this, being a Peter Rabbit fan particularly after visiting Windermere last year. It has captured the spirit of the original and the illustrations are similar enough not to disappoint.
It has obviously been written by someone who loves the tales but is original and fresh enough to be a worthwhile addition to the collection. It has bits to make a small child laugh out loud, and also to feel a shiver of anxiety at Peter's predicament. It is modern enough to please today's children without spoiling the timeless appeal it has for most adults. There are many adults who will be a bit snooty about someone famous writing this sequel, but she was invited to, and has made a good job of it. The illustrator has also tried to remain true to the spirit whilst adding something of her own style.
My only gripe is that it would be lovely to see it in the small,'pocket-sized' edition -but maybe eventually we will.
on 19 November 2012
Probably not enough is known about Peter Rabbit and particularly of how he filled the days following the heady publicity of his first adventures as described by Beatrix Potter. This story by Emma Thompson describes Peter's unplanned journey to Scotland and his meeting with the Highland Games Champion Finlay Mc Burney, "a huge black rabbit in a kilt". Peter Rabbit's weakness for overindulgence and taking naps leads him to unexpected triumph, followed by humiliation, and finally to an admission of guilt and homesickness.
A very moral tale about having adventures from the safety of home.
The lively illustrations by Eleanor Taylor make it clear that this is the same Peter Rabbit that Beatrix Potter knew: the Peter Pan of the rabbit world, who never grew up, wore a blue jacket and had a very forgiving mother.
on 1 November 2012
This is a wonderful continuation of Beatrix Potter's original story. I gave it as part of a Christening gift with the smaller 110th Anniversary edition of the Tale Of Peter Rabbit. The writing is modern, effective, humourous and just right for little ones to enjoy. Well done Emma Thompson - I could also envisage you playing the part of Miss P! Hopefully this too will become a classic.
on 7 November 2012
I was looking forward to the release of this book and am pleased to say that I was not disappointed. I am a collector of all things Beatrix Potter and welcome this to my collection. It is not always easy to produce something in the vein of a previous artist but I feel that Emma Thompson, who had been asked to follow on from where Beatrix left off, has done an excellent job of keeping the character of Peter Rabbit alive. The beautiful illustrations are in keeping with those seen in the original books and as I have a love of Scotland, was delighted to read of his adventures in the Highlands. Whether you remember reading the original books as a child or are reading them to your children/grandchildren, I think this new adventure is one not to miss and I would recommend you buy a copy straightaway!
on 19 January 2013
The original book is one of the great stories ever published in a book,and this new version continues in the same way.There are the same people,and animals involved,and in the same setting,and time.You do not get Peter in present day playing on an X-Box,in U.S.A.,or using mobile phones,internet,etc.Basically,if you like the original,you will like this,it is a classic treated with great sympathy,and respect.Emma Thompson has done a superb job as regards the story,the illustrations,by Eleanor Taylor,are also in a style,and coloured similar to the original.If it ain`t broke do not fix it they say.It wasn`t,and they have not.Excellant work.
on 11 June 2013
This was a good second story for Peter Rabbit. Would reconmend this book to others who love the Beatrix Porter animals
on 1 April 2015
I've read this to my three year old daughter many times, and we both enjoy it. This is a beautiful book with lovely illustrations. Whilst both the story and drawings are in keeping with the originals they are obviously a little different. I quite like this, and I like the larger size of this book in comparison to the originals. There are obviously never going to be more stories by Beatrix Potter but this book does them justice.