Format: Board book|Change

on 9 February 2012
Where's Spot is a book that has been delighting toddlers for over thirty years and it's easy to see why. The combination of bold, colourful, unfussy illustrations, simple repetitive text and animals hidden behind flaps will catch any young child's imagination and surprisingly keep it. I remember many happy story times sharing this very same book with my older children and while to an adult it isn't as exciting as many more recent children's books, it certainly doesn't seem to have lost any of it's charm. While I wouldn't say that this is 22 month old Freddy's current favourite book (that would be The Very Hungry Caterpillar) it comes a very close second and we both agree that it deserves a place on every toddler's bookshelf, but is a book for sharing rather than exploring alone. So we're giving Where's Spot five stars out of five, as it a well loved classic and we can't wait for our next Spot book to arrive as we've enjoyed this one so much.
on 14 April 2011
My one year old absolutely loves this book. The flaps are interactive and the bold, bright images are ideal to grab his attention. I would highly recommend this book
on 12 October 2014
My 19 month old has loved spot since he was about 8 months, he can lift the flaps and enjoys discovering who is behind. Where's Spot is his favourite of the Spot collection.
My personal experience shows the lift flaps to be durable, they take a lot of pulling and we have lost 2 so far, they stick back on fine, I think it's quite a good record considering how much he tugs and bend at them, I didn't expect it to last this long.
It's also a good aid for teaching different names of household items, is he inside the clock, is he under the bed etc.
I remember reading these as a little girl myself, they are brilliant for children and the bright pictures are eye catching as well meaning your little one will want to look and point. The best thing is, there isn't too many different pictures on the page so it focuses on the item being discussed.
Highly recommended
on 6 March 2010
Ideal for little hands as the pages can't be bent or ripped & there is only about one line of text on each page before you reveal the animal hiding in the various places round the house, so this keeps their attention. Our one year old daughter loves it & we'll buy more in the series in future.
on 3 October 2014
‘Where is Spot’ is one of the 20th century’s great post-structuralist texts, and essential reading for undergrads and critics alike. To give this text the treatment it deserves, it’s necessary to wade through the many thousands of papers that have been published on it since Hill first burst onto the literary scene in 1980, and peel the text back to its most basic (and profound) elements.

Let us begin by asking ourselves, can Spot ever be found? This is really the core question of Hill’s seminal work. Following in the tradition of Derrida, Lacan and Boudrillard, Hill is a provocateur, and the very title of this book is a challenge. How can we ‘spot’ Spot, when the act of perceiving cannot ever be perceived?

Ultimately, by asking ‘Where is Spot?’, Hill is asking us to question whether meaning itself can ever truly be grasped, whether our hunger for symbols can ever be sated, or whether we are destined, like Spot’s mother, to search through a linguistic maze of our own making until we die.

Let’s look for a moment at how her doomed quest for meaning begins: “Naughty Spot! It’s dinner time. Where can he be?” Here Hill almost catches us unwary, tempting us to dive immediately into the hypnosis of categorisation that lies beneath the surface of all narrative. But at the same time he is urging us to hold back, to wait before we answer. Where is Spot? We do not know, and perhaps we never will.

“Dinner time” is an unmistakeable reference to desire in the Foucauldian sense. The unwary reader wishes to gorge themselves on meaning, and it is this blind desire which ultimately leads Spot’s mother on her futile quest.

“Is he under the stairs?” she asks. Is he indeed. Spot may well be under the stairs, hidden beneath this clear symbol of hierarchy. But he isn’t there, we are told. And who imparts this information, who tears down of our oh-so treasured certainty in the meta-narrative? The lion; a glaring symbol of patriarchy.

Hill’s expert illustration tells us all we need to know; the lion looks surprised, scared. Patriarchy, presented with the futility of its own categorisation, cannot hold itself together.

Some critics have argued that Spot’s eventual discovery in a basket is Hill’s way of celebrating the Sublime, of telling us that there is indeed a greater meaning beyond the mess of symbols that we live in. But they overlooking a critical element. After he is found, Spot is immediately ordered by his mother, here playing the role of the dark feminine archetype, to go and ‘eat your dinner’.

He is, like the ouroboros, destined to live forever in a cycle of consumption and desire that traps us all. Hill explores Spot’s resulting decline into the mediocrity of bourgeoisie life in his critically-acclaimed sequels, ‘Spot Goes to School’, ‘Spot Goes on Holiday’ and ‘Spot’s Day Out’, but ‘Where is Spot?’ remains his most challenging and exciting work to date.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 July 2014
Spot is one of the more modern children's classics - though I believe he has been around for a while now. I love Spot stories.
Spot is a very simply drawn little puppy - instantly recognisable by young children. He does every day things & is light & amusing.
Lift the flap books are great as they provoke a discussion with the child - what could possibly be under the flap? You know they have understood the story & it stretches their imagination - children don't always come up with the most expected answers!
This is a simple & easy early book which is ideal for an adult and child to read together. It isn't complicated so holds their attention even from a young age. There are plenty of opportunities for adult/child interaction, a child to be imaginative & for you both the laugh.
An ideal early book which I heartily recommend for a young child.
on 25 February 2016
My two year old loves this book, to the point where I'm actually a bit sick of it... "Is he in the...?" No, he's not. [SPOILER ALERT!] He's in the basket where he has been each of the 5,000 times we've read this and where I imagine he will stay for the next 5,000 times too...
on 3 March 2010
Bought this book for my godson,he loves it because he can get involved by lifting the flaps looking for spot.Its the book my son,nephews &nieces mostly remember from their childhood it was a favourite with them too.Love the rounded edges,very good for small children.
on 2 July 2015
Excellent book. My 10 month old loves this book. She enjoys opening the flaps to discover what's underneath. She's got lots of books but she always chooses this one for me to read to her! Very pleased with purchase and have bought more in the same range.
on 11 October 2015
The Spender Family:

Mum: Sensible Sue A lovely, entertaining book that toddlers can manage by themselves - or enjoy with Mum and Dad
Dad: Thrifty Tom The board books are more hard-wearing, so should last longer
Son: Shopaholic Steve Ideal unisex gift for a toddler, boys and girls love it. And it isn't pink!
Daughter: Crafty Katie Cut old pages into 6 or 8 pieces to create simple 'jigsaws' - they will be double-sided, so not SO easy
Grandma: Budget Brenda Look out for these at car boots etc. and check that the lift up flaps are intact (easy to replace)
Grandad: Practical Pete Try to reinforce the lift up flaps with a clear sticky back plastic film
Dog: Deefer Shhh, I'm sure that's my cousin ................