5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly one of the most visually satisfying Orlando books, 22 Jan 2002
B. J. Lee-harwood (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orlando the Marmalade Cat - A Camping Holiday (Hardcover)
'Orlando the Marmelade Cat - A Camping Holiday' remains one of the most visually rewarding of the Orlando books with amazingly innovative illustrations and fantastic attention to detail. A strong wildlife theme runs through most of the pictures (with newts, tadpoles and frogs infesting the margins) and there are beautiful period touches. The overall effect is to summon up an arcadian English countryside which has long disappeared and remains much mourned.
'Camping Holiday' was published in 1938, the first of the Orlando series, and thankfully concentrates on the graphics rather than the text. The turgid storylines and leaden writing that often let down later books in the series (although I guess it's a matter of taste) are completely absent from 'Camping Holiday' and the narrative is short and fast with a series of minor adventures that even a three year old will find absorbing.
'Camping Holiday' was not the author's favourite - this honour was reserved for 'Orlando buys a dog' which is more sophisticated in it's visual representations (and heavier on the text). But it remains a personal favourite of mine - partly because of a love of the subject matter (wildlife, tents, orange cats) but mostly because of the sumptuous pictures which have an innocent timeless quality about them which moves toddlers as well as adults. There's even a fantastic map - ideal for training future hikers in the art of map reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Orlando the marmalade cat, 8 Aug 2010
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Orlando the Marmalade Cat - A Camping Holiday (Hardcover)
This is a gorgeous book, large with wonderful illustrations and a very retro feel. The book is not very PC, but you have to remember when it was written and also that the author herself announced later that Orlando infuriated her a little! However, it is a glorious book and delightful to read aloud, as Orlando takes his wife (with her hat and veil to protect her from the wind in the open top car!) and his three kittens on a camping holiday. The story is very imaginative and my daughter loves it and reads it to herself over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Illustrations, 30 Mar 2010
This review is from: Orlando the Marmalade Cat - A Camping Holiday (Hardcover)
It's a beautifully illustrated book, and my 18months daughter loves it. It's a great size too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Orlando, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Orlando the Marmalade Cat - A Camping Holiday (Hardcover)
We all love this book, not just the story but the pictures too, they have so much in them, recommended for any child. I still love Orlando, and I'm 72.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of my childhood, 25 Sep 2013
Mrs. E. A. Brockway "Liz Brockway" (Winchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orlando the Marmalade Cat - A Camping Holiday (Hardcover)
This book is just what I had hoped for though obviously not an original, it brings back memories of this series of books I had as a child. It is in very good condition and a joy to own. Many thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger than I remember!, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Orlando the Marmalade Cat - A Camping Holiday (Hardcover)
One of the first books I remember reading at school! I moved on to 'Kidnapped', 'Treasure Island', HG Welles, Tolkien, and Jules Verne... but I always remembered the 'Orlando' books. If you like cats, you will love these tales and the great artwork that features in the books.

The book I received was in mint condition, a reprint, and taller and wider than I recall the school versions being. all the better to enjoy the artwork on those large pages! I'll read it again, and then pass it on to my grandson (he was born August 2012). I'm certain I'll be buying others in the series too... but the cheaper reprints. I've heard that some original prints sell for over 150!

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Orlando the Marmalade Cat - A Camping Holiday (Hardcover)
Bought as a nostalgic look at books that were around when I was young, but equally enjoyed by the grandchildren

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of Orlando, 8 Sep 2012
Ms. F. Williams "Mabinogion" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orlando the Marmalade Cat - A Camping Holiday (Hardcover)
I bought this book because I had such fond memories of Orlando from my childhood. I was not disappointed at all - illustrations are beautiful and charming, and the story is equally charming. I hope to use this story to help children to speak and read good English.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Book, 20 Aug 2012
Diane "Circular Knitter" (Luchapt, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orlando the Marmalade Cat - A Camping Holiday (Hardcover)
The Orlando books were my favourites when I was a tiny tot. In 2007 we adopted a ginger kitten and named him Orlando. I bought Orlando books for my grand-daughter because she was having problems learning to read English. Her early education had been in Welsh and, although she speaks English at home, she found written English very challenging. The books have been a tremendous help to her.

Orlando the Marmalade Cat - A Camping Holiday
Orlando the Marmalade Cat - A Camping Holiday by Hale Kathleen (Hardcover - 26 April 1990)
Used & New from: 14.99