5.0 out of 5 stars Best World Atlas But Rather Pricey, 8 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: "The Times" Comprehensive Atlas of the World 2000 (10th Edition) (Hardcover)
As an atlas craze, I recently bought 3 World Atlases to join my small library. They are 1) Hammond World Atlas : Mapmakers for the 21st Century 3rd Edition 2) Oxford Atlas of the World 9th Edition and 3) The Times Comprehensive Atlas of the World 10th Edition. I already own Rand McNally's Today World (1992), which I think it is a terrible world atlas.
First, I received the Hammond and the Oxford Atlases. They were both oversized book and quite heavy. The Oxford weighs more than 3Kg. I was quite impressed by both atlases' fine introductory section and map details. When I received the Times Comprehensive Atlas of the World, I was quite shocked with its size and weight. The Times weighs more than 5.5 Kg and bigger than both Hammond and Oxford. In fact, the Times makes both Oxford and Hammond like a regular book.
Upon browsing through all three atlases, I found that all three have their own characteristics. I like the Hammond uses of signs, fonts, and colors. In my opinion, Hammond atlas is very easy to read and very simple to recognize places. The vivid color is the best among three atlases. But the international borders are more difficult to read (in my opinion). The Oxford has probably the best introductory section on World Geography, statistics, satellite images, solar systems, etc. The details are similar to that of Hammond's. Oxford is printed on different type of paper than Hammond's and the Time's (a bit more glossy). I just happen to like Hammond's and Time's paper (matte) paper more. The size of the cities and the signs of places are not as easily recognizable as the Hammond's but still very good.
The Times Atlas doesn't have an extensive introductory section like the Oxford's or Hammond's nor does it have large city maps found in Oxford's and Hammond's. It just have the most balanced, most detailed atlas of the world. It has 123 dual-page of mapping, more than the former twos. The Times give more details and attention to small islands and countries outside N.A. and Europe than the former twos. It has more maps of small islands than the former twos. Although I think the colors are not as vivid as the Hammond, the signs and fonts are easy to read and understand and the detail of each map is just incredible. Arguedly, probably the best atlas today. (I haven't seen National Geographic Atlas of the World though)
The Times Comprehensive Atlas of the World is not cheap. It is the most expensive among the three but if you want the best world atlas irregardless of price, the Times Comprehensive Atlas of the World is definitely the one to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars If only the best is good enough, then the choice is limited., 30 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
Almost every new major new world atlas claims to set a new standard in world atlases, but this new Times atlas is one of the very few that actually do just that. It contains some 25% more place names than its nearest competitor, the Rand McNally International Atlas. In this respect, it is the largest printed atlas ever published. This tenth edition (dubbed the "millennium" edition) is the first complete redesign since its original publication in 1967, and it shows. The color coding has improved, the number of maps has increased, and, very important, the consistency factor has improved; e.g. the same fonts and same accuracy for all pages. The previous edition has sometimes been accused of being a mere "collection of reference maps". In this new tenth, no less than 72 pages of thematic content have been added, thus making it a really all-round reference atlas. It also contains more large-scale reference maps of more densely populated regions than before, and this substantially increases the chance of finding just the spot you were looking for. The 217-page gazetteer contains just over 200,000 names. A minor point is the lack of urban area maps of the world's largest cities. The price is not an amount that most of us spend lightly. But if you can afford it, and you only want the best world atlas, and you're committed to following the world news, planning holiday or business trips, you really can't afford NOT to have this atlas - it's certainly worth its price.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no other choice., 11 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
I'm a bit strange, in that I believe that a large atlas fits into that category of thing that you should only buy once in a lifetime. As a result, I wanted the best I could get - price was not an issue.
Having looked at all the large scale atlases I could find, and there are a good few, this is quite simply the best.
The level of detail, the quality of printing and the introductory pages are all just right.
The only problem I have with it is that it's too big for my bookshelves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy, 14 Feb. 2001
Arnt Gulbrandsen (München, Germany) - See all my reviews
Maybe I'm weird, but I really like a good atlas. And this is the best. It uses the proper place names (e.g., "Köln (Cologne)"), there's good maps of everything I've wanted to look up and they're big! The atlas is bigger than my other ones, with big, detailed, informaptive maps. I like it. Wish it weren't so expensive, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have enough money and you want a decent Atlas, get it, 23 April 2001
I was skeptical as to whether or not I would keep this book because of the high price, but it has to be one of the best atlases I've ever seen. Nice layout and definitely the best index for the size of the maps it covers. However, only buy it if you have some cash to spare.

"The Times" Comprehensive Atlas of the World 2000 (10th Edition)
Used & New from: £13.75