4.0 out of 5 stars Surprise Yourself!
Published on 13 Mar 2003 by helen bouttell

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but unconvincing
Published on 19 Aug 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprise Yourself!, 13 Mar 2003
This review is from: The Power of Verbal Intelligence: 10 Ways to Tap into Your Verbal Genius (Paperback)
The Power of Verbal Intelligence has a very simple premise: we are all latent geniuses and whatever we have got "up top" we can increase dramatically. It dips into human development and psychology to put forward in a no-nonsense way it's point: that we can all improve what intelligence we have got. There are word stems, quizzes and games. Never for a moment will you doubt Tony Buzan's credentials as he relays stories like one involving former featherweight boxer, Barry McGuigan, who on retiring from boxing, became a TV commentator. He realised that his verbal skills was not as adept as his physical skills and "trained" to boost his word power using Mind Maps and word games. Impressive and inspiring stuff! A new and improved you! However, for anyone eager for a quick fix, you may be disappointed, because although the book is relatively small, for it's content to be effective, you will need to put in a little extra curricular leg work. I also find that reading more than a chapter at a time turns my brain into mush! I would advise dipping in for a small amount of time each time. The book's effect on me? I noticed that I immediately started using words that perhaps I wouldn't in converssation and actually felt quite pleased with myself and have made a pledge to carry on investigating new words. If you like self improvement books, this one takes you from where you are now and depending on the amount you are willing to put in, the sky's the limit!

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but unconvincing, 19 Aug 2003
By A Customer
Not being a psychologist I was genuinely fascinated by some of the psychological references and explanations but I wasn't convinced in some of the author's suggestions for improving my vocabulary and it didn't address the main difficulty I find with vocabulary: finding the right word for a given situation - the tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon (aka 'lethologica' apparently).
Some of his suggestions are very mundane - the sort of thing you would expect to find by browsing the Internet - not the radical approaches I was expecting.
He packs out the book with lots of blank spaces interspersed with epithets from various influential figures from times past and present that keep the reader interested as well as a number of IQ test styled quizzes (and tips to help you solve them). One area that was particularly informative were the chapters on roots and suffixes which, whilst I remain sceptical on their benefits for improving my vocabulary (although I'm beginning to be converted), gave a whole new meaning to the language.
However, the book does not apportion as much space as I would have liked to the skills to increase vocabulary and verbal intelligence and many of the 'skills' are hidden inside other seemingly irrelevant chapters such as communication skills, presentation, body language, speed-reading not to mention the requisite chapter on Mind Maps.
But you never know, you may find it more useful than I did. I, on the other hand, shall be relying more on my own self-determination.

ARRAY(0xadaceeac)