on 22 August 2006
This book has been a god-send. I love cooking, but suffer from all the allergies listed in the book, and have been struggling to adjust to not eating all the lovely food I used to enjoy. There are lots of mouth-watering recipes which will ensure you continue to enjoy good food - beef en croute, blackberry and apple cake, brownies, chilli and herb cornbread, blueberry muffins, brandy snaps, passion cake, shortbread, steak and kidney pudding, sweet pepper tart and even wedding cake to name but a few.

Whilst it is heavy on desserts, that is where most problems come from if you suffer from these common allergies. It is true that it is very heavy on eggs, which I am also allergic too, but I have adapted the recipes very successfully after a quick search on the internet where you can find some alternatives to eggs - try replacing an egg with 1 tsp baking powder+1 tbsp water+1 tbsp vinegar for leavening - add more baking powder if you want better results. For binding, try 1/2 mashed banana (cut down on the sugar content of the recipe); 1 tbsp rice syrup (again cut down on the sugar content); or a 1/4 cup of apple puree (the pectin in the apple works as a binder) - all are the equivalent of one egg. You may have to adjust the liquid content of some of the recipes using trial and error, but it is worth the effort!

This book should not be used exclusively for all your recipes, but it has lots of excellent ideas, is very well presented, and will bring the pleasure back into your diet. You, your friends and family will enjoy tasty meals without feeling ill afterwards, and will be pleasantly surprised that food can actually taste better without all those nasties. Allergies can be fun!
33 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2007
I was looking for a cake recipe that might turn out a bit like the gf muffins sold at costa coffee - I stumbled across this book in my local bookshop, bought it at full price, came home and started to cook with it.

I have bought a copy for a friend who is dairy intolerant, and recommended it to my son who is a coeliac.

Every recipe that I have tried has worked and been delicious!

Try the Passioncake recipe - yummy!
on 25 August 2006
I have a wheat and dairy intolerance, but I'm not much of a cook. Most of the recipes are way out of my league, more suited to dinner parties. Over half the book is deserts and baking, and while it all looks very appetising I wanted a cookbook to help with everyday eating with a food intolerance. I found Barabara Cousins Cooking without, much more useful. This book is definately not suitable for vegitarians or vegans, only a handful of the recipes are vegetarian. Quite dissappointed
11 comment|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 June 2001
I discovered The Gluten, Wheat and Dairy Free Cookbook by Antoinette Savill whilst looking for a present for a friend with a son who suffers from Coeliac disease. Browsing through the well laid out recipes I was motivated to buy a copy for our family as well, even though we only have a general need to reduce animal fats for health reasons. The pages are clearly presented with symbols to indicate whether Vegetarian, Gluten free, wheat free, ultra low fat or dairy free. Measurements are given in Imperial Metric and U.S. cups. Ingredients are listed separately where there are icings or fillings and intructions are straightforward. The collection of recipes and the colour plates show delicious examples giving the buyer hope that one can stay healthy and still eat exciting "normal" food without being served a dull alternative to the rest of the family or dinner guests.
0Comment|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 June 2001
This is a such a good book for those of us who cant eat what but still want delicious food. I don't understand how the wheat and dairy free bread sauce recipe can taste so good!
on 1 November 2003
Well over half of this book is devoted to desserts, cakes and sweets. Very few of the remaining recipes are suitable for veggies or vegans, especially those who don't drink. Quite a few of the "dairy free" recipes contain eggs which may suit some people but I don't feel comfy with.
This is probably a good book for meat-eaters who like desserts but have allergies, but I'll be giving it to someone for Christmas rather than using it myself!
on 9 December 2010
My daughter is dairy and wheat intolerant so desserts and cakes can be very difficult. I bought this book after finding the recipe for Banana and Lemon Iced Loaf on the internet and making it. One of the few non dairy, non gluten cakes I have made that tastes really good.
The book's layout is excellent. Recipe are mostly one to a page (some two pages) - description, ingredients and method. Easy to cook from and no distracting rambling chat as appears in some cookery books.
Also a recipe for 'mince pies'. Wonderful!
on 27 November 2005
A good functional cookbook, but not always the most useful recipes - e.g. to cook a cheesecake it advises to use sheep or goat milk... but many dairy intolerant people couldn't use those substitutes either. It also doesn't give any general advice about substitutions. Other books can advise that rice flour is good for custard and sweet tasting recipes, despite cornflour being the normal ingredient.
on 18 September 2014
I was very surprised to find, with the title of this cookbook in mind, that many of the recipes contain wheat, gluten and dairy products.
on 18 February 2014
It has been difficult finding a JUST wheat and dairy free cook book. Many have no sugar, no this, no that. I am not a cooking person and until 5 months ago I could eat whatever I wanted and lived on convienence food. This book is easy to follow, a lot of the recipes are simple. I find in a lot of these books they want you to use some obscure ingredients which I'm sure could be substituted for simpler household items. I have already made the peanut butter cookies twice and they are very nice. I changed the recipe the second time to banana and blueberry and left out the peanut better. I am planning on making the cheesecake very soon. I bought this mostly for sweets because free from food is expensive.