5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - No longer do I feel like a fat hairy freak !
Published on 18 Sept. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, but basic.
Published on 4 Jan. 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - No longer do I feel like a fat hairy freak !, 18 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: PCOS: A Woman's Guide to Dealing with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (Paperback)
I recently visited my Doctor for some advice on losing weight, I had been diagnosed with PCOS for about four years but had only been treated with the pill to limited effect. My doctor offered little advice other than "No fat people came out of Belsen" I was feeling very disheartened and ready to give up. A couple of weeks later I was reading a magazine which recommended PCOS by Colette Harris and Adam Carey. I read the book in full in a couple of days and felt motivated and reassured that I didn't have to be fat for the rest of my life. Since reading the book I have stuck to the suggested changes in eating habits and have felt 100% healthier and happier. I have lost a little weight which I am mearsuring by the fit of my clothes rather than how heavy I am. I have more energy and have generally never felt so positive about life in general. This book is a must for anyone who has, or thinks they may have, PCOS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, clear and helpful, 27 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
Only having been recently diagnosed with PCOS I found this book invaluable as a source of clearly written, wide ranging information and support. There is an excellent and fair balance between the rigorous scientific input and the overall holistic approach to treatment. You will be disappointed if you are looking for an overall "answer" to the syndrome and its symptoms - the book helped me to appreciate that this is a complex condition that there is still much to understand about. What you WILL find is a clear and comprehensive review of PCOS and a helpful guide to managing symptoms in the short and longer term. The information about the links between PCOS and diabetes and heart disease is particularly interesting because in my experience this is an area glossed over by GP's. Do not expect to find a "quick fix" in the book but to be guided through the issues and helped to find a way to manage PCOS in a way that suits you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank God someone somewhere knows what they are talking abou, 1 Oct. 2003
Only 5 months ago at an age of 39 was I diagnosed as having PCOS(had to go privately to find out what was wrong with me!) and went through the ovarian drilling procedure etc. After miscarrying once again a few weeks ago I bought this book along with the PCOS Diet book to read whilst recovering. It gave me more information regarding this condition than I could find surfing the internet or that the specialist could give me. I am going to follow a healthy diet and try again in a few months. Reading both the books gave me an increased desire to carry on trying and helped me come to terms with what and why certain things have happened in my life to date (inability to loose weight, frequent miscarriage etc). My only criticism is that it is a shame that I felt I had to buy both books to get a complete picture and would have liked one publication to cover both aspects. Also I would have liked more information on Metformin, which seems to be prescribed as the 'norm' by the medical profession (which may not have been the case when this book was first written). Overall an excellent and informative find.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for any woman with PCOS, 4 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 14 and since then I have been very interested in finding out as much as possible about the syndrome. This book summarises everything I have had to discover from different sources, and is simple and direct, making even complicated medical terminology easy to understand. It certainly helps that Colette Harris is a sufferer herself, she obviously understands the problems and emotions the syndrome can cause, and you feel as if you are talking to a sympathetic friend, not a patronising medic or someone who doesn't really sympathise. The book ought to be essential reading, especially when first diagnosed. I could have done with this 4 years ago. It also makes it easier for parents / partners / family to understand the problem as well and should be read by them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, but basic., 4 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
This book is inspiring and positive, but the section on endocrinology I found too basic, which ultimately left me with more questions than answers. Personally, I was looking for a more biologically informative book, but as a self help book it's pretty good. I also felt it should deal more with herbal and other complementary medicines, which I have personally found very useful for my PCOS, rather than just diet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear concise and reassuring, 5 Oct. 2000
I could have done with this book about 14 years ago when I was first diagnosed with PCOS. I read it in a couple of days and everything sunk into place. It's a positive book with chapters on explaining what PCOS is, what may cause it and self-help steps to getting your weight undercontrol and your health in order. I will be recommending this book to my G.P. and hopefully the message will be passed on.

5.0 out of 5 stars PCOS: a brillant guide to what it is and what to do about it, 8 May 2000
I wish this book had been available 5 years ago when I was diagnosed as having PCOS. It felt a lot scarier and "final" then than it does now having lived with this for a few years and having learnt gradually how best to manage this condition. For all sufferers (and their friends and partners!) this book is an essential read as it covers all aspects from before diagnosis (how to spot if you might have PCOS), to coping with the diagnosis (what it really means...it doesn't necessarily mean infertility....) and the ways you can manage the condition. I particularly liked the fact it recommended alternative therapies like homeopathy and acupuncture as in my own experience these have been really helpful in easing the symptoms of PCOS. Lots of people should read this book so awareness of PCOS and early diagnosis and treatment increases.

5.0 out of 5 stars couple_colour completely miss the point, 13 Feb. 2003
Having read the book, and having a partner with the syndrome, I have to say that Colette's book honestly did change both mine and my partner's lives.. Colette went a long time with worrying symptoms GPs couldn't identify. And when she found out that she had PCOS she found that there was next to no information for a non-scientific audience.
The very reasons she set about writing her book was because her journey to health was a very personal one, because there was precious little information out there for the general reader and - crucially - she didn't want to just take the drugs that the doctors blithely prescribed.
Over the last five or six years Colette has absolutely revolutionised the way PCOS is considered in this country. She has worked tirelessly to make magazines and newspapers write about the subject and she wrote her book primarily in the hope of generating a debate and providing women with PCOS the opportunity to see that they could be well again and that well-ness wasn't just about taking drugs, but about taking control..Having been at the sharp end of this syndrome I can tell you from experience that the contents of this book changed my life, and I've met many other people at the Verity self help group, to which Colette gives her time and energy, whose lives have also been changed. In fact women who were told they were infertile by doctors who now have children after adopting Colette's principles.
At the end of the day Colette had never written a book before this. She wrote it because she saw there was a massive lack of information.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book, 5 Mar. 2002
This book helped me to understand the condition in more detail; something the docters were unable to do!
I would recommened this book to anyone who wishes to know more about their symtoms and also learn of some more - which you may not have known are linked to the condition.
It will help you gain enough knowledge to present some questions to the specialists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hand this book to your GP!, 5 May 2001
M. Mott (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
If your having trouble with your GP's lack of overall knowledge take this book with you! It's full of very helpful advice and will give both your doctor and yourself a good understanding of PCOS. Well worth buying and buy one for your GP too!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

PCOS: A Woman's Guide to Dealing with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
PCOS: A Woman's Guide to Dealing with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome by Dr Adam Carey (Paperback - 29 July 2011)