5.0 out of 5 stars an old friend that's never let me down
I first came across rose Elliott's Bean Book when I was at University and I literally taught myself to cook from it and survived on a very slender budget by cooking all her wonderful, cheap and tasty bean recipes.

My original copy was falling to pieces so I've just bought this new edition -- and i still love it! The warmth and friendliness of the book are very...
Published on 27 Mar 2007 by Veggie Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing new edition
What a disappointment! I have just received this book, which I'd intended as a present for my 14 year old veggie grand-daughter, but it is nowhere near as informative or comprehensive as my 1979 paperback edition, and doesn't even contain all the original recipes. My old copy gives coloured illustrations for the different beans inside the front and back covers - very...
Published on 27 Sep 2010 by K. Freemantle

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bean Book (Essential), 5 Sep 2011
Frank D. Edwards (Warwickshire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bean Book (Essential Vegetarian Collection Series) (Paperback)
First saw the book when loaned it by a friend. She had the original 1979 edition. My wife's copy is the 2000 edition.
Many recipes are not in the newer edition, having been deleted.
The colour pictures of the beans and their respective sizes are no longer on the inside of the covers.
The lay out is better in the newer book for mere males like me. Only one recipe per page, with no recipe going over onto a second page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help to my diet, 7 Jan 2011
TheShopaholic (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I bought this book as I was looking to introduce more pulses and lentils into my diet to replace the bog standard rice, potatoes or pasta side dishes that used to accompany my protein choices of chicken or fish (I am not a vegitarian). I have mainly tried the bean salads and soups so far. The salads are delicious and so easy to prepare and really make a tasty difference to the usual carbs I used to have to eat. I love soups and the healthy bean and lentil soups on offer are very heartwarming and pleasing.

Great little book, easy recipes and most of them very tasty and prepared in minutes. Lentils and beans get such bad press but I wish I had been introduced to these recipes years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bean Book, 20 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Bean Book (Paperback)
I was pleased to find I could still purchase this book as I'd bought one years ago and wished to buy one for my daughter. The book arrived in good condition and I would recommend the seller. Would definitely buy from them again.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 13 Nov 2010
I love this book. It is probably the most the most used out of all of my cookbooks. My favourites are the bean salad recipes - once you have remembered to soak and cook the beans the rest of the recipe is very easy and straightforward and every single one that I have tried has gone down well. You can make the recipes even simpler by substituting tinned beans but I have preferred personally to use dried.

I would definitely recommend this book and expect to get plenty more use out of it myself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, tasty food, 25 Oct 2010
Quick (apart from preparing the beans-I use tinned ones)tasty healthy recipes. We are not vegetarian but have been put on low cholesterol diets and this book is full of tasty recipes that we have enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wholesome, 12 Dec 2003
By A Customer
Another Elliot classic. Great easy to cook and eat recipes. Easy to find ingredients. Unlike those US cookbooks metric is the standard instead of those imperial/US dinosaur measurements

5.0 out of 5 stars The word, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Bean Book (Paperback)
good to have this oldie back in my possession - return to basics and then have a think

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Aug 2014
Exiting to look inside, not made any of the stuff yet:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Aug 2014
James E. Smith (england) - See all my reviews
This book helped to widen my knowledge on this subject.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many changes from the original, 4 Jan 2011
Disappointed with this edition as it didn't contain some of my favourite recipes from the original book, which needed replacing as it was falling apart due to being so well used.
Having said that, it is still a good basic intro to the use of pulses.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

The Bean Book (Essential Vegetarian Collection Series)
The Bean Book (Essential Vegetarian Collection Series) by Rose Elliot (Paperback - 6 Mar 2000)
7.69