5.0 out of 5 stars an old friend that's never let me down
I first came across rose Elliott's Bean Book when I was at University and I literally taught myself to cook from it and survived on a very slender budget by cooking all her wonderful, cheap and tasty bean recipes.

My original copy was falling to pieces so I've just bought this new edition -- and i still love it! The warmth and friendliness of the book are very...
Published on 27 Mar 2007 by Veggie Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing new edition
What a disappointment! I have just received this book, which I'd intended as a present for my 14 year old veggie grand-daughter, but it is nowhere near as informative or comprehensive as my 1979 paperback edition, and doesn't even contain all the original recipes. My old copy gives coloured illustrations for the different beans inside the front and back covers - very...
Published on 27 Sep 2010 by K. Freemantle

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not quite as good as the original., 20 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Bean Book (Essential Vegetarian Collection Series) (Paperback)
We'd been relying heavily on Rose Elliot's original 'The Bean Book' for a long time, finding it a very useful reference. Sadly, the years had taken their toll and the book had become very tatty through use - it simply had to go! The new edition of 'The Bean Book' has had a considerable make-over with bright colours and a new layout. Sadly, this has been at the expense of some of the content and cross-referencing, which is a shame.

I'm sure anyone buying this book for the first time would be very pleased with it. The recipes are good and varied and it represents good value for money. For those of us who owned the original though, it may come as a bit of a disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Please excuse me... I've just done a massive fart!, 8 Nov 2013
Pallus the Phallus (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As a health-conscious non-meat eater who would like to lose some weight, beans are where it's at.

This book is a good PRACTICAL guide to bean and lentil cooking with numerous recipes. By 'practical' I mean it isn't a glossy coffee-table book just for browsing, rather a straightforward book to get you trying out the recipes sraight away.

There are no photo's of the cooked dishes and the only illustrations are simple but pleasing random graphic prints of say, a chilli or a clove of garlic.

The recipes are very accessible and I rustled-up a simple lentil curry in no time.

There are, thankfully slightly more complicated dishes which I will try after I've gathered the ingredients. I'm tempted by the soya bean curry with apple and saltanas.

Personally, I have quite an excitable bowel which is the only downside of this type of diet for me. The dishes I've tried so far produced some fierce flatulence. One night I woke-up with a stabbing pain in my side; not a stomach-ache though... instead it was Mrs Pallus elbowing me in the ribs for burning her thigh with hot bean gas. She's visiting some relatives overseas soon which is when I might try the lentil scotch eggs -they sound delicious but could be incendiary for me.

Overall, a great book if you actually want to produce some tasty dishes rather than just reading about them.

Minor annoyances are that there is no list of the recipes, only of the sections they appear in, like 'Soups', 'First Courses', 'Bakes and Casseroles' etc. and that every time pulses are mentioned, 'legumes' appears in brackets afterwards. And they must be mentioned over 100 times! I guess this is for the benefit of the Septics but why can't she just define 'pulses' at the beginning of the book instead of incessantly inserting '(legumes)'?

Recommended >pharp<

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my cooking forever!, 22 Aug 2013
C. Clark (UK) - See all my reviews
Like other reviewers, I came across this book when I left home in the early '80s. Luckily, a previous tenant had left the book behind in the cupboard. As I had grown up in a pretty carnivorous household, the only pulse I had ever eaten was a baked bean(although I had no idea that it *was* a pulse!). So this was a real eye-opener to me. The recipes were and are easy to follow, and all the ingredients easy to find (easier nowadays, in fact). This book gave me the confidence to experiment with food, try new things and I even bought a pressure cooker to make cooking beans quicker!

Having gone from never tasting a pulse, 30 years later they are my favourite food, with chickpeas and butter (lima) beans being my all-time food heaven! I have been veggie for 28 of those years, and it is this book that gave me the confidence and knowledge on how to start. The Shepherd's Beany Pie is a house staple, as is the Lentil and Green Pepper Flan and, of course, the Hummus.

Am buying two copies today: one to replace my yellowing old one which is barely held together with Gaffa tape and elastic bands, and one for my niece in New Zealand as she starts to explore nutritious, cheap home cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cookery book, 28 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Bean Book (Paperback)
As a vegetarian this is the best cookery book I own. In fact my copy recently fell to pieces due to ultra-frequent use and I had to replace it.
The recipes are easy to make and the steps are clearly explained. As long as you keep a reasonable stock of beans in the cupboard and a fair number of vegetables you will find that you have many of the ingredients needed. Occasionally I have to go to the shops to pick up an item but this is usually a simple food such as a leek, which I have just run out of. Another bonus is that when I read the list of the ingredients I know what they all are and where to get them from.
The cost of each meal tends to be cheap, though the taste is delicious.
As the book is quite old many of the recipes call for dried beans to be soaked but this is not necessary now that tinned beans are so freely available. I use the same weight of tinned beans as the recipe states for dried beans but I sometimes have to use less water.
The Bean Book is a must have for every vegetarian and I would thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab Book, 12 May 2010
I have just reordered a second copy of this book. My original copy must be 25 years old and is falling apart! Just last night I tried another recipe I had never got round to and it was, yet again, fab. If you have odd bits left over ie. yesterday I had some mushrooms and some parsley to use up - looked up mushrooms in the index - and there was a perfect salad to make - which was delicious. A book constantly referred to over the years and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bean there, done the cooking, got the scars to prove it, 30 Oct 2009
Albert Ward (UK) - See all my reviews
Not only will this book help me to create more vegetarian food dishes , but I was impressed by Amazon delivery times.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little book., 6 Aug 2009
maria (hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bean Book (Paperback)
This purchase was a second copy as my first book was very worn out with constant use. This is a must have for vegetarians, as pulses provide a good protein substitute, essential when bringing up my children as veggies. You have to pick and choose with this book - some fantastic recipes and some not so tasty. Still worth buying, a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars More beans please., 8 Aug 2014
Warning this five star review is for the original version! See customer reviews rewarding the new edition! Rose Eliot's chatty and straightforward style takes the mystique out of beans and pulses and has encouraged me to experiment with them over the years. Now I have a member of the family with diabetes I am returning to bean recipes with a vengeance. I dug put this book which had become buried under newer shinier recipe books and am pleased to say that it now has a place of honour in my kitchen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice pics but....., 3 Mar 2010
Ian Graham-cumming "Nineoaks" (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Owned an old copy of Rose Elliott's The Bean Book and thought this was an up to date print. However it turns out to be higher quality but seems to have lots less recipes than the original paperback edition. I suppose that is the modern trend with cookery books - lots of reliance on presentation and pictures which you don't really need.

3.0 out of 5 stars A classic, with some good basics, 28 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Bean Book (Paperback)
Coming out of the environment and health conscious wholefood 'brown revolution' of the 1970s, this was just about the best book of its kind at the time. I bought shortly after it was published in 1980, while I was a student. It fed me cheaply back then and my family since, and there are some recipes which they now use... which is a real test of success!

It is one of those books which I still keep for a few standards, and despite constant usage it still has its covers attached! From the reviews on Amazon, I'd recommend getting the original version which has more recipes, rather than the 2000 reprint.

Rose Elliot's subsequent books and the intervening 30 years since it was first published has led to it showing its age. Some things have changed - beans today do not seem to need the full cooking times given in the book, so it is important to check, not just go by the recipe timings. Also, many of the recipes are somewhat underspiced in the context of today's more international experience. However, it's a classic book and many of the recipes offer a good basis from which to start.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Bean Book (Essential Vegetarian Collection Series)
The Bean Book (Essential Vegetarian Collection Series) by Rose Elliot (Paperback - 6 Mar 2000)
7.69