5.0 out of 5 stars an old friend that's never let me down
I first came across rose Elliott's Bean Book when I was at University and I literally taught myself to cook from it and survived on a very slender budget by cooking all her wonderful, cheap and tasty bean recipes.

Published on 27 Mar 2007 by Veggie Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing new edition
Published on 27 Sep 2010 by K. Freemantle

5.0 out of 5 stars an old friend that's never let me down, 27 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Bean Book (Essential Vegetarian Collection Series) (Paperback)

My original copy was falling to pieces so I've just bought this new edition -- and i still love it! The warmth and friendliness of the book are very encouraging and the recipes are lovely.

4.0 out of 5 stars a fabulous introduction to cooking with pulses, 20 Nov 2000
By A Customer
I first came across this cookbook when a work colleague loaned me a well worn, dog-eared copy she had picked up in the UK in the early eighties. How I wanted a copy of this cookbook!
From simple lentil soups to the sophisticated aigroissade salad, Rose Elliot's recipes offer something for whatever level of cooking experience you have and are a great introduction to vegetarian cooking. The layout is pleasing to the eye and cooking instructions are short and easy to understand. The recipes are enhanced by accompaniment suggestions and a short history of the dish, if it exists.
This is a cookbook which will expand your knowledge of pulses and move you beyond lentil stew. It gives an overview of the nutritional value of beans and pulses and introduces the reader to the wide range of beans and pulses which are available. Descriptions of the beans are given, colour and size, which will make it easier for those unfamiliar with them to spot when out shopping.
Favourite recipes of mine include creamy bean dip, spinach and lentil soup and beans in leek sauce. There are also recipes for staples of vegetarian diets, such as felafal, hummus and dal. Rose Elliot also takes some traditionally meat based dishes, such as lasagne, pastichio and cocido, and turns out vegetarian versions which are just as tasty and flavoursome as the originals.
I was estatic to find this book was available again. My only complaint? I think this newer version has fewer recipes than the original!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference on all pulses, 20 Feb 2002
I have the 1979 edition of this book and it has clued me up on all the important things you need to know.
Some pulses are a bit offputting with the soaking & cooking requirements to make them safe. This takes all the worry out of that.
It also tells you just exactly how you make bean sprouts. i'm going to buy the updated version so maybe I'll find out some new stuff and have more fun out of the pulse.
Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars the bean book, 6 May 2010
Janet Atkinson (Stockport, England) - See all my reviews
I had this book once before but gave it my brother when he turned vegetarian. I missed it because generic cookery books don't carry many bean/pulse recipes. Beans and pulses are cheap and healthy and this is a very comprehensive book and the recipes aren't complicated.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing new edition, 27 Sep 2010
K. Freemantle "kate" (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
What a disappointment! I have just received this book, which I'd intended as a present for my 14 year old veggie grand-daughter, but it is nowhere near as informative or comprehensive as my 1979 paperback edition, and doesn't even contain all the original recipes. My old copy gives coloured illustrations for the different beans inside the front and back covers - very useful - and also lists the different beans, with suggestions for what to use them in, with information on growing, harvesting, sprouting etc. This new edition is quite nicely set out, with one recipe per page, and I suppose if you don't know the original, it will be a good buy for most people, but apart from a few line drawings, there are no illustrations at all. For all these reasons, I can only give it 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bean Book, 25 Feb 2009
Ms. Pm Cross (Devon) - See all my reviews
This is my third copy as I use it like a "Bible" to my cooking and have done so for many years . I raised 4 children healthily with the usable information and recipes in this book

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 6 Aug 2009
M. Morgan (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
I love this book. I wanted to improve my health and introduce beans and lentils into my diet. I was a bit wary buying a book for vegetarians but with the flavour and texture provided by these simple and easy to use recipes in this book I have realised I don't need meat in every meal. The recipes in this book have inspired me, I now have many vegetarian cook books. This is the most used cook book I own, I shall soon have to invest in another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of beans, 23 April 2006
I wanted to do more with beans and pulses and this was the ideal place to start. The book is packed with easy to follow, well presented recipes. I notice one reviewer complained of the lack of photographs, but let's face it - this type of cookery isn't about beautiful food. The book is still attractive, easy to read and well laid out. Also, everything I've tried so far has been simple to cook and a great success.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book was the genesis for my interest in vegetarian cooking, 3 Jan 2007
John W. Irvine (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
I see above that some purchasers are unhappy with the book. That is their right. I think one thing needs to be taken into account with vegetarian cooking: it's mostly bland. That's my experience. But the concepts are fine, and the meld of unknown and unfamiliar ingredients is excellent.

Any cook worth their salt can take a recipe that is sound and ponce it up to their personal tastes.

I bought Rose's book 25 years ago during an intense relationship with a vegetarian lady. I was already a pretty fair cook in the meat style, and I saw this as a challenge. Rose's recipes weren't hot/spicy enough for me, but her constructions are superlative. You want chili? Add some. If you are a rigid cookbook cook, the maybe you need The Woman's Weekly cookbook and not this one.

I still have the original paperback book I bought in Australia--used it tonight, in fact-- but the pages have begun to fall out from use. This wee book has been a mainstay on three continents for me, and now I'm forced to purchase a new one.

For you knockers out there I say.... learn to cook.

Cheers, John Irvine

3.0 out of 5 stars Updated but not the same as the original 1979 book!, 27 July 2014
M. B. Radford (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
It's great to see a new edition of an old favourite re-issued but I must admit I must have been a bit naive to expect to see the exact same book reprinted. My original Fontana copy, printed in 1979 was dog-eared and falling apart. A new copy was on the cards. However, beware, this edition has left out all the wartime recipes, some of which were my favourites. What a shame! Now I have to find a home for those torn, stained pages that were destined for the bin!

As with all re-issues, this edition has been 'updated', the sections are revamped and moved around. Basic recipes are grouped at the back rather than the beginning of each section. Words are updated too! For example, pancakes are now all 'crepes', and flan has become 'quiche'. These would be more recognisable to a contemporary audience, I suppose.

I don't know if there was ever a hardback copy of the original book. I think that is what I would prefer.

The Bean Book (Essential Vegetarian Collection Series)
The Bean Book (Essential Vegetarian Collection Series) by Rose Elliot (Paperback - 6 Mar 2000)
7.69