5.0 out of 5 stars The tastiest everything-free recipes and easiest to make
Published on 7 Oct 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars unimaginative
Published on 27 Sep 2007 by Kelimutu

5.0 out of 5 stars The tastiest everything-free recipes and easiest to make, 7 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Vegetarian Cooking Without: Recipes free from added gluten, sugar, yeast, dairy products, meat, fish, saturated fat (Paperback)
I bought this book in May and it is now my 'bible'. I'm allergic to gluten, dairy, yeast as well as sugar. I can eat EVERYTHING in this book, no more substitutions. As a bonus, they all taste GREAT! (esp. tofu cheesecake - even my sugar-junkie husband loves it!) For everyday quick meals, quick-make scones and cakes, special occasions (try the basil & almond pesto to impress) this book has taught me how to cook as well as made my diet a joy instead of a chore. Once you get your store cupboard sorted, you can make these lovely, healthy and nutritious recipes with virtually no experience at all. Buy it and ENJOY FOOD AGAIN!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, some weird science, 14 Sep 2006
I was inspired to write this review to counter the below comment about the cakes. I've made three cakes and the muffins from this book, and they've all been delicious. I have no problem eating wheat so I've used a mix of wheat and other flours, but have stuck with the dairy/sugar/saturated fat free side of things.They're in no way as sweet as you expect from a cake, but get over that difference and you'll find they're fantastic. The savoury recipes are also very tasty and easy to follow.

On the down side I found some of the macrobiotic inspired 'science' of yin and yang foods irrelevant - just skip that section and get to the recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 3 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This is a fabulous book. It is full of ideas for vegetarians with alergies. I just love looking through it, planning what to try next. The ingredients are not too abstract, which makes the book very accessible. My husband is a veggie with no known alergies, and he has switched his diet to these healthy tasty dishes too. If you have alergies/intolerances then buy this book.... you will not be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars unimaginative, 27 Sep 2007
Kelimutu (South of France) - See all my reviews
I found this book a bit of a let down in terms of imagination - obviously salads, indian curries and stir frys are wheat/dairy free and can be found in most veggie cook books, and its a bit of a cop out to ask us to use 'wheat free' pasta - we don't need to buy a cookbook just to make ordinary recipes - what I want is recipes that circumvent the pasta all together - for example I make a brilliant lasagne using root veg as the lasagne replacement.. There is also an over dependance on rice flour. I use all kinds of different flours (millet, chick pea, quinoa etc to ring the changes, and l experiment with non flour ingredients such as nut powder etc... also where are the egg free recipes? 'egg replacer' is just another easy way out.. Also because being vegan and allergy free is such a challenge nutritionally, it should make use of sprouted grains... and have more emphasis on balancing the diet..

4.0 out of 5 stars easy and tasty, 24 April 2006
I'm a lactose intolerant veggie so bought this book for a bit of inspiration - and it's given me plenty. I have to admit I've stuck to delia with goat substitutes for the sweet stuff so can't tell you if the cakes are good but the savoury recipes I've tried have been devine. I've found them easy and fun to prepare, more exciting than your average veggie food and absolutely delicious. I have to admit to adding the odd extra bit of salt and sugar here and there though to enhance the flavour so I'm not sure I'd want to stick to the recipes exactly as they stand... BUT if you're in the same situation as me, and looking for some ideas to broaden your repertoire of meat free lactose free meals, you'll find it really helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, yummy recipes, 22 April 2001
By A Customer
The book is excellent with an informative section which discusses the human digestive system and the effect that different types of food have on it. I'd recommend this book both to people with special dietry requirments and those just looking for something different. The recipes are easy, delicious and don't require too many special ingrediants.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most used recipe book in my kitchen...., 12 Feb 2001
Christina Campbell (Canterbury, Kent England) - See all my reviews
I started using this book when I decided to do a 28 day detox diet and was looking for inspiration. All the recipes are very tasty and such a change from the usual veggie recipe books. Quite a breath of fresh air..If you're not sure... just go on and order it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 13 April 2013
I picked this book up from a charity shop because I eat a lot of veggie food, but I follow no particular 'diet' special or otherwise. This book has delicious recipes with basic, good wholesome foods. I LOVE it! I get a vegetable box delivered once a week and this book has given me a new ways to cook and enjoy my food. I'm not a HUGE fan of sugarless deserts, but then I'm not a huge fan of diabetes or fat thighs either... An unexpected bonus has been that it is a really cheap way of cooking! Without all the expensive meat and fat, this book has saved me a whole lot of money and made me healthier in the process. Thumbs up from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum yum yum!, 4 Jun 2011
I borrowed this first from the library as I didn't want yet another cookery book sat on my shelf unused. After renewing it twice I could not not buy it! I'm not a great cook but my husband can't believe how tasty my cooking has become and best of all gluten free. This book has brought variety and flavor to our diet and food that we just can't stop eating. It is a brilliant book to add interest and hope to a fairly new gluten and dairy free household. Our favorites are the lasagna which i never thought I'd be able to have again ( made dairy free ) and the moist cashew and almond nut roast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - A Must For Anyone Wanting to Eat Themselves Healthy :-), 7 Nov 2006
Anon (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after it was recommended to me by my nutritionist. Being a vegetarian and following such a strict diet regime seemed really daunting at first, that was until I got this book. You wouldn't believe how many wonderful variations of everyday food is in here, just changed to be full of lovely goodness. I really recommend it, it'll give you inspiration even if you don't follow all the recipes exactly.