5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, worthy advice
I'm a cynic and not one for self-help books, preferring psychology to explain any issues - and I was wary that this was a self-help book. It had all the traits; a bit of a nauseating title laid out in a bad font on a bland cover, had an accolade from the author of Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus on the back etc...but, it's a very good book, in the vein of Irving...
Published on 3 Sep 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Elements Lacking
I don't like posting negative reviews but I cannot do otherwise in the case of this book. Firstly even the subtitle annoys me "how to thrive when the world overwhelms you" - a tad patronizing, I find, as well as urging us to conform, implicitly, to a world that is not sensitive, at least in its mainstream aspects.

Now I credit the effort the author has made to...
Published on 14 Oct 2009 by Bubo

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You (Paperback)
Good read probably one of the best on this subject

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money and time, 6 Dec 2014
Not helpful, and I also found it unreliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 28 July 2014
A must read for highly sensitive people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Dec 2014
S. Morgan-Radford (Hants, England) - See all my reviews
Excellent product, fast service.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Highly Sensitive Person, 12 Mar 2010
A fantastic book for anyone who is themselves or knows anyone who is highly sensitive. Written by someone who is herself highly sensitive it gives fantastic insights into and ways of dealing with your sensitivity and helps you understand that you are not only normal but have a whole range of amazing abilitites that come with the sensitivity. If you are, or your child is affected by loud noises, bright lights, crowds, new situations, strong emotions, fears or just get overwhelmed trying to do too many things at once, then this is the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compassionate and helpful, 27 Oct 2007
Neil Jackson (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book is well observed, and gave me a wider context to my life and while I feel the way I do. It provided me with some useful insights about work, health and relationships. The lists of tips for doctors, teachers, and bosses working with HSPs are very useful. On the debit side, I was less keen on the aspects of spirituality touched on in the final chapter. Also the book doesn't really deal with sexual preference and HSPs. Perhaps the sequel about HSPs and love will be better for this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 23 July 2014
A good read!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Highly Sensitive Person, 22 April 2013
This book was recommended to me. I have to be in the right frame of mind to settle down to read it but when I do I find it thought provoking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but ultimately a religous text, 6 Aug 2009
C. Brown (London) - See all my reviews
This book DID provide temporary reassurance for my 'condition'. However, the sceptic that I am led me to do further research into psychoanalysis. The HSP is full of flowery, preacher like language, creating a sense of belonging not indifferent to that from a religion. It ultimately doesn't get to the root of the problem, telling you to embrace your condition.

If denial isn't your thing, you should opt for some different reads. Having been a complete novice in psychology I don't feel I can be biased in any way, but the works of Freud or Jung are far more insightful. As a fellow sensitive person you may be shocked by my tone, but Nietchze also provides some helpful insights into where sensitivity originates.

Though sensitivity possibly has some history in natural selection, animal pack behaviour etc it IS possible to educate your way to an improved existance. My adive to 'HSPs', study as much psychology as you can. Read this book by all means, but make you sure you hear the argument against the existance of HSP's as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reading, 11 Aug 2014