4.0 out of 5 stars This book has helped me no end
I have many, many self-help books on my book shelf. Many of which I haven't finished reading despite having them for years. Leil Lowndes 'How to talk to anyone...' is the most useful, in fact, the best self-help book I have ever purchased. I have finished reading it - yay! And I will now go back and re-read putting into practice many of the tips she has suggested -...
Published on 1 April 2010 by Green Ocean

2.0 out of 5 stars Good tips...shame about the delivery
It seems like there are some good tips in here for talking and communication.

However, the stories which Lowndes uses to explain each tip do get a bit annoying after a while and I have to agree with an earlier reviewer about the 'truth' of some of these stories, it seems as if the author is perhaps embellishing some of them to enthuse the reader into becoming a...
Published on 29 April 2009 by Inner Journey

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever feel tongue-tied? Read this book and change your ways!, 16 Aug. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks For Big Success In Relationships (Paperback)
I bought this book hoping that I would be able to improve my communication skills which I already thought were good. However, after reading Leil Lowndes wonderful offering I have realised that I did not know many ways to start intriguing conversations or to complement people without sounding like I wanted to get into their good books. Using this book I have been able to rethink the way I talk to people I have just met so I avoid the inevitable, but insincere sounding, 'Wow, it's nice to meet you. What do you do? Isn't the weather nice today?' CONVERSATION OVER!!!
Now I feel much more confident when I approach people that I will be able to hold my own in the conversation department.
In this book Leil Lowndes gives advise about some of the following topics;
1) How to give a positive impression when you first meet someone using body language
2) What to say after saying hello
3) How, by doing a little homework before a social or business meeting you can sound like an 'insider', rather than an outsider.
I recommend this book to everybody. It is refreshing to read a book on communications that really elaborates and gets down to the nitty gritty of what the author is trying to say. This book is thick, and their are 92 tricks for relationship success in any situation, and so you can see that it is very substantial.
Read this book to be comfortable in any situation where you have to talk to others, new aquaintances and old friends alike.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas, but reads poorly, 30 Oct. 2003
The concept and layout works well (despite some strange editing disasters and missing or misused words) and the ideas are explained and exampled well.
Personally, I found it quite irritating to read, though. The author has an odd obsession with making similies out of EVERYTHING, and filling every page with puns.
Its a good book to dip into and fits the purpose, but not really up to a good thorough reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars How To Talk To Anyone? - You will after you read this book!, 21 July 2005
I found this book a wonderful refreshing change from the usual Slef-help books that dwell on theory and long stories.. This book had wonderful pace, with lots of short punchy stories which illustrate the techniques to use perfectly. I was completely absorbed in the book. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking for a short, quick self confidence boost for those awkward situations and social occassions you may find yourself in. -- Buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars "How to Impress Powerful People" would be a better title., 25 Aug. 2009
The final two of her 92 "tips" are a good summary of the book:

"No matter how prominent the Big Cat behind the podium is, crouched inside is a little scaredy-cat who is anxious about the crowd's acceptance.
Big Winners recognize you're a fellow Big Winner when they see you leading their listeners in a positive reaction. Be the *first* to applaud or publicly commend the man or woman you agree with (or want favours from)."

"Any two people have an invisible scorecard hovering over their heads. The numbers continually fluctuate but one rule remains: player with lower score pays deference to player with higer score. The penalty for not keeping your eye on the "Great Scorecard in the Sky" is to be thrown out of the game. Permanently."

If those are good pieces of advice, and you are keen to hear more detailed descriptions of the same, this book will be helpful to you. The actual title is misleading. The book does not have tips on how to approach or open conversations with "anyone". Ms. Lowndes only really has certain specific kinds of people in mind as to who she wants to talk to, and very specific things she wants to obtain from her relationships. If you are in basic agreement with her, this may well be your book.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Talk to Anyone is Fantastic, 14 Aug. 2005
Hey there,
I absolutely loved this book. I still read it every so often and it has given me confidence in situations where I would be totally at loss.
The best aspect of this book is that it is very clear to understand and practical to accomplish the techniques.
It has also given me a greater understanding of how inadequate the social skills of those around me are... And how superior!!
The people that I once thought confident became social losers.
And those I thought were incapable became my role models.
5 stars goes to this book for teaching me social skills I had never been taught.
You see, as smart as I am, I never finished GCSE's and my life was very anti social before marrying my husband who is a doctor. I tried to go to university, I got in based on my SAT's in America, but never felt very comfortable around people. Obviously, after marriage, I was caught in a whirlwind of doctor cliques... and being the wife of a doctor. I had no idea how to handle the situation.
The techniques in this book gave me the confidence that I too could become a social butterfly even around the most educated of people.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pick up a Carnegie instead, 12 July 2011
Maria Gaston "cg113" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book contained a lot of trite pep-talk advice that's cringe worthy. The author also kept on mentioning that she's "improving" what Dale Carnegie wrote in his best-seller How to Win Friends and Influence People. Save your money and just pick up the Carnegie book. There's a reason why Carnegie's book is still a best-seller even after being written 80+ years ago.

1.0 out of 5 stars How to talk like a politician!, 1 May 2010
E. M. Barratt (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
I feel like this book was poorly titled, a more appropriate title would have been "How to talk your way to the top", because that seems to be the main goal for the author. Whether or not it would work is another matter.

Perhaps this book is better suited to an American audience, most of the suggested techniques are shortened to cliched phrases (including "Don't touch a cliche with a ten-foot pole" though to be fair I'm pretty sure the irony was intentional for that one), the book reads like a list of phrases which is really just a list of techniques. Some of these techniques would doubtless help some people, but as a whole the book does not really contribute anything to help a person change his life view, to gain the self esteem, or the confidence, that would enable someone to be comfortable enough with themselves to "talk to anyone". I'm of the belief that with confidence these techniques would all be entirely unnecessary

Regardless of whether you find that style of help useful, I'd still say that the book is wrongly titled. If you want to talk to anyone, to me that means you want to be the sort of person who can start up a conversation with anyone, be they a colleague, a passenger beside you on a flight, or the pretty girl you always see on the bus but don't know how to approach. This book seems more intend on trying to make you the sort of person who can impress the boss, or the wealthy or powerful, at a social event. To make you that sort of person who, regardless of actual ability, is always on friendly terms with their superiors whether they like them or not. You know the sort, all style but no substance? Well, that last bit is unfair, but it's probably true to say that this book has more to do with aiding ambition than it has to do with social interaction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Talking and Body Language Skills, 20 Jan. 2003
By A Customer
This is a truly excellent book. It firstly tells you how to conduct your body language and then what conversational skills to use to get people to 'open up' to you and realise what an interesting person you really are! It doesn't aim on just one type of reader, anyone of any status can read and benefit from this book especially if you have those awful moments where you're introduced to someone and you have no idea what to say to them! It is written in a humourous and memorable way and whereas I used to dread social gatherings, now I can't wait till my next one so I can use my new found conversational skills!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on communication techniques, 22 Mar. 2003
R G Ivanov (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have no hesitations whatsoever in giving this book 5 stars out of 5. This is not one of those average "advice" books, repeating things that have already been written by someone else. This book is unique, and shows comprehensive and practical knowledge of many aspects of human psychology. It is easy to read, well organized and makes it easy to remember each of the 92 techniques described.
A really unique point-the author uses such examples and describes the tricks in such a way, that it makes the reader make associations (sometimes funny ones, better still) which eventually makes it so much easier to remember the tips. And that is the point really-remembering and putting it to practice afterwards. For people that are pragmatic and want results. This book, along with Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" will give you all the principles, tips and techniques you will need to be a successful communicator.
Those 92 tricks are so powerful, that one should always use them not only to receive, but to give as well, or else might be perceived as a selfish manipulator.
I believe that when applied in the proper way, all the knowledge from this book can dramatically improve anyone's way of relating to other people.
I wish you successful and happy communicating!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! - Should be part of the school curriculum!, 3 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
One can feel Leils' genuine warmth and friendship jumping out of every page of this delightful book. We need more of this type of teaching in the UK where we are way behind in the realms of communication. Leils' techniques definately work.A brilliant book, one which all management personnel should read and adhere to.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›