on 16 March 2006
This book is a great starting point if you are converting to veganism, or just catering for a vegan. The recipes are simple, tasty and hugely popular with everyone we have cooked for (vegan or not!). The sponge cakes are particularly delicious - moister and lighter than the egg/milk equivalent. Most of the recipes are also easily adaptable so once you have some favourite basics e.g. kidney bean burgers, chick pea stroganoff, lentil curry, you can experiment adding different pulses, herbs, spices etc and they work just as well. We use this book every week and love it!
22 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2006
I bought this book after borrowing it from the library and finding it hard to give back. This food has fabulous recipes enjoyed by our eight and ten year old as well as us. The recipes are very easy to put together if you shop regularly at small wholefoods shops. They often use ingredients you have in already in the store cupboard. We especially enjoyed the stroganoff (very quickly and easily made), the chick pea and walnut salad and the fruity 'ice-cream' which was also very simple and good.

If you are looking for a simple every day cook book that helps you prepare tasty and healthy meals with what is in the cupboard and fridge already - this book is for you!
on 20 August 2007
This was the first vegan cookbook I bought after I went vegan, and I would say it's a really good first book for new vegans, and the basics of substituting foods. It taught me how to make vegan pancakes (which are much nicer and easier to make than the Delia recipe I used pre-vegan), has various burger recipes; and the lovely chocolate cake on the front! it's sectioned into breakfast, vegetables, pasta dishes; etc so easy to navigate. My only criticism is that there are no pictures apart from the cover which makes it hard to know what some things are supposed to look like, also pictures are good for inspiration.
on 3 September 2007
Does exactly what it says in the title with fairly simple yet innovative ideas. It's divided neatly into sections(ie legumes, nuts etc) making it easy to browse, and has some nutrition advice in the foreward. My only gripe is that I find myself adapting a lot of the recipes to taste, as they can be fairly bland and require a little more seasoning for a spice-fiend like me! Most of the recipes are very healthy, but I'm of the strong belief that wholemeal flour can ruin the taste and texture of sauces and cakes, I just switch it to white and they turn out lovely!
on 1 October 2001
As I have recently been introduced to Veganism, I treated myself to this book after reading the reviews about it. I must say, I was impressed. The menus are basic, easy to follow, and there are plenty of them.
on 21 October 2000
the recipes are easy to follow and delicious. The orange cake and especially the chocolate cake is well worth the mention A good section on making vegan creams from coconut to cashew cream. well worth buying., constantly used in my kitchen.
on 14 January 2007
I became a vegan in September and have purchased many cookbooks since then. Used none of the recipes as the tended to combine protein and carbs. Until LEAH'S book. I receivedthe book last week and have used something from the book every night. Simple good food and TASTY too. Re the ingrediants, I found that I could substitute and it still tasted good. The really ace result for me is that instead of making 2 meals, one for me and one for family, I can now cook from this and just add eggs/cheese/meat for family. I also find these recipes are an inspiration for me to adapt to my tastes if there are ingredients I don't like.
on 30 January 2006
I bought this book a couple of years ago when I felt my vegetarian meal repertoire was becoming a bit predictable and I was starting to lean a little too heavily on dairy products.
This is easily the best cookery book I have ever owned, full-stop. It offers some really interesting ideas, including numerous new ways to use tofu which I'd never even considered (favourites in my household are seaweed and tofu burger, tofu kebabs and devilled nori tofu).
Granted some of the ingredients are a little obscure but I've managed to find most of them in my local healthfood shop and I've found that the same ingredients crop up throughout the book so once you have a stock of seawed, tamari etc in your cupboard, you find you're able to tackle a number of different suggestions.
Overall I would highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to bring a little variety into their vegetarian or vegan diet.
on 27 September 2009
I wanted a nice recipe to cook for non-vegan friends who were over for dinner and the first recipe I tried out of this book received rave reviews. Apparently my friend's husband has been telling everyone all week that it was the best vegetarian meal he has ever had! I've only been vegan for a few weeks so still experimenting with cooking but this book seems to have loads of interesting recipes. I can't wait to try more. I've had a quick flick through most of them and haven't particularly noticed ingredients that I will have a problem obtaining ingredients for. Highly recommended.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 30 September 2013
I am not a vegan, but I used to be married to one - and this book saved my bacon on many occasions. Except that that's not a very appropriate phrase to start things off with, is it? What I meant was, whatever the rights and wrongs of any domestic difference of opinion (in other words, no matter how I might have managed to cheese the wife off - oh god, that phrase there isn't too crash hot either, sorry about that) this book was always there for me to frantically flick through while looking for inspiration when I wanted to meet her half way in any argument (or, in other words, when I felt obliged to accept full responsibility for everything from getting right up her hooter to the state of the Economy) in order to yet again negotiate my way out of the nearest doghouse. To say that I know at least half of the recipes in here like the back of my hand would be no exaggeration, believe me.

Being a hopeless old romantic (or just hopeless, I'll let you draw your own conclusions) practically the first thing I bought for myself when we got divorced was my own copy of 'Easy Vegan Cooking'. So that I might be able to continue enjoying recipes of universal appeal to my heart's content, you understand, and NOT because I had big plans to entice my former wife over to my place and impress her with the quality of my 'Toad In The Hole' on a regular basis. Blimey, if that didn't work when we were married then I think it's safe to assume that particular boat has long-since sailed. At least, I sincerely hope it has. No, there are some very nice recipes in here that I wanted to enjoy for myself, that's all. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the only illustration is that spectacularly beautiful chocolate cake on the front cover. But I find pictures in recipe books to be pretty counter-productive anyway, on the whole, since nothing I've ever cooked from a recipe has ever looked like the mugshot it was presumably supposed to. The recipes are grouped together in very specific categories thus;

1. The Vegan 'Dairy'
14. Vegetable Side Dishes
15. Fresh Fruit-based Desserts
16. Miscellaneous Desserts
17. Cakes and Biscuits

There's a very handy index and each individual recipe is given its own big build-up by the author herself. Her instructions are easy to follow (even for someone like me, who leans very much towards the 'hopeless' end of the 'MasterChef' scale) and the recipes seem to be bilingual, incorporating both UK and US specifications. So you'll find grams beside ounces and beside cups... but the important thing is that the grams are first! Similarly, courgettes, chick peas, spring onions and every other UK ingredient with a strange Uncle Sam alter ego all enjoy top billing over their American cousins.

The ingredients tend to be rounded up from within a fairly small list of usual dairy-free suspects but, within that, there is much scope for versatility in terms of both texture and taste. 'Nutmeat' is a thing that has baffled me for years but I think Granovita Nut Luncheon 420 g (Pack of 6) might be able to help me in my enquiries. My favourite recipe of all is the one for 'Quick Sausage Pie', based almost exclusively upon the fact you get one heck of a lot of bang for your buck with it. Four large onions, one and a half pounds of sausages, 2 pounds of potatoes... and all of that is 'suitable for one'?! Take me, that's all I can say!

The back of the book contains a very useful 'Directory of Recipes'; these shine a spotlight on 'Quick Recipes', 'Suitable for One' recipes, 'Suitable for a Dinner Party' recipes and desserts that are 'Sugar-Free'. It's a lovely idea but it could have been made even lovelier with direct page references to each recipe rather than just a great big list of names.

This is a really nice book with a great deal to offer both vegan and non-vegan diners alike.